Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Need to know what to look for regarding a Sig 228

Theres been some talk of the Sig 228 on the forum lately. I have managed to find one and thanks to my continued patronage at my local shop, had it pulled from the shelf until I look it over on Friday. Here is what I know for sure.......the slide is stamped made in Germany(it does not say W Germany) on the right and has the NH stamp on the left. The frame does not have a "made in" stamp but the serial number matches the slide. It has an internal extractor. It is NOT a M11A1. It doesnt have rails and comes with two ten round mags. I dont know the serial number but the shop owner told me that he looked it up and it was made around 1990. I want to make sure it is a "real" 228 but dont really know exactly what to look for. How can I make sure the slide is folded and not milled? How can I be sure its not the "dreaded" 228 slide on a 229 frame? Knowledge is ammunition and as we all know, ammunition is good. Thanks in advance, Brian
    Last edited by bripro; May 1st, 2013 at 11:40 PM.

Default Re: Need to know what to look for regarding a Sig 228

Not a gun I know anything about, but I really liked the one I held, recently.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454601

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc...5/m/6220020123
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

more importantly, check for galling and excess wear on the aluminum frame rails

(Lancaster County)

Thanks for the links 300WM. Good information on both of them. I will also take this opportunity to ask you about sigforum. Although I bleed PAFOA I would like to also join sigforum for questions specific to three of my pistols. They wont accept me because Im so computer illiterate my two emails are aol.com and gmail.com which are apparently banned from their community. I believe the Smith and Wesson forum is the same way. What, if anything, can I do to get on these forums? Thanks again, Brian

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Theres been some talk of the Sig 228 on the forum lately. I have managed to find one and thanks to my continued patronage at my local shop, had it pulled from the shelf until I look it over on Friday. Here is what I know for sure.......the slide is stamped made in Germany(it does not say W Germany) on the right and has the NH stamp on the left. The frame does not have a "made in" stamp but the serial number matches the slide. It has an internal extractor. It is NOT a M11A1. It doesnt have rails and comes with two ten round mags. I dont know the serial number but the shop owner told me that he looked it up and it was made around 1990. I want to make sure it is a "real" 228 but dont really know exactly what to look for. How can I make sure the slide is folded and not milled? How can I be sure its not the "dreaded" 228 slide on a 229 frame? Knowledge is ammunition and as we all know, ammunition is good. Thanks in advance, Brian
    I have a W. German made one which guarantees a stamped slide. If it has rails, definitely the 228 slide on a 229 frame. That's the 'new' 228. The 'real' 228 never had a rail.

Confused about the ten round mags. The original 228 zipperback mags are double stack. Maybe that's a more recent CA compliant model, which might make me explore further.

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Thanks for the links 300WM. Good information on both of them. I will also take this opportunity to ask you about sigforum. Although I bleed PAFOA I would like to also join sigforum for questions specific to three of my pistols. They wont accept me because Im so computer illiterate my two emails are aol.com and gmail.com which are apparently banned from their community. I believe the Smith and Wesson forum is the same way. What, if anything, can I do to get on these forums? Thanks again, Brian
    I'm a member on the sigforum also, all you need is an email from your webservice provider and you're in. for example: mulletsrule@comcast.net or similar...great forum by the way

(Centre County)

Wink Re: Need to know what to look for regarding a Sig 228

I think you should ditch all this Sig madness and look for a lightly used stainless CZ75b from someone on this forum.....

Just a thought.....
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.