Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default New PA Resident - Need to wait 90 days for pistol?

Hey everyone, I'm hoping you can help with a legal hurdle I ran into earlier today at a local gun shop.

I recently moved to PA (closed on a house on the 26th) and just obtained my PA Drivers License earlier today (temporary one but was told by the nice lady at the counter it acts exactly the same as a permanent one other than the 15 day expiration)

After obtaining the drivers license I drove down to the Centre County Sheriff's Office and obtained my LTCF (they were very nice too and I was in and out in 15 minutes)

Armed with my PA DL and my PA LTCF, I drove to a local gun shop where I went to order a handgun for concealed carry / range practice.

I was then told that I need to be a resident of PA for 90 days before I can purchase a handgun (rifles and shotguns are ok)

I was taken aback by this, as I read the residency requirements on http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf and they state:

Time Period to Establish Residency:
    Upon obtaining a Pennsylvania Drivers License/ID.

I looked for 90 day requirements elsewhere and saw they were recently removed for legal aliens of the US last year, however, couldn't find anything on legal citizens who just moved from one state to another.

The shop was very nice about it and told me if I could prove otherwise that there was no residency requirement then they would release my handgun, otherwise I'm waiting 89 days :-( Obviously I want to act within the confines of the law and if I'm wrong on this I have no problem waiting (will give me plenty of time to get good on a 10-22 haha) however, what they told me contradicts what I read, hence the issue.

(York County)

Default Re: New PA Resident - Need to wait 90 days for pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by D-Dog View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm hoping you can help with a legal hurdle I ran into earlier today at a local gun shop.

I recently moved to PA (closed on a house on the 26th) and just obtained my PA Drivers License earlier today (temporary one but was told by the nice lady at the counter it acts exactly the same as a permanent one other than the 15 day expiration)

After obtaining the drivers license I drove down to the Centre County Sheriff's Office and obtained my LTCF (they were very nice too and I was in and out in 15 minutes)

Armed with my PA DL and my PA LTCF, I drove to a local gun shop where I went to order a handgun for concealed carry / range practice.

I was then told that I need to be a resident of PA for 90 days before I can purchase a handgun (rifles and shotguns are ok)

I was taken aback by this, as I read the residency requirements on http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf and they state:

Time Period to Establish Residency:
    Upon obtaining a Pennsylvania Drivers License/ID.

I looked for 90 day requirements elsewhere and saw they were recently removed for legal aliens of the US last year, however, couldn't find anything on legal citizens who just moved from one state to another.

The shop was very nice about it and told me if I could prove otherwise that there was no residency requirement then they would release my handgun, otherwise I'm waiting 89 days :-( Obviously I want to act within the confines of the law and if I'm wrong on this I have no problem waiting (will give me plenty of time to get good on a 10-22 haha) however, what they told me contradicts what I read, hence the issue.
    I was fed the same thing by a gun shop in Potter County. Not true. My PICS was in investigation for 10 days but cleared and I had only been a resident for 30 days.

Well, such is a private business. Just because it's legal to sell a long gun or firearm to you in PA based on what you posted, a business can have a policy or proceedure that is more strict, ie waiting 90 days.

CL

Spend your money elsewhere.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Centre County)

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. Just to clarify, I have no problem respecting a business that enforces their own rules; as far as I'm concerned, if Hunter's Warehouse wants to charge $100 per round of .22lr or a gun shop has a policy to wait 90 days that's fine with me, it's their business.

The issue is this gun shop made it sound like it was against the law (or in a legal grey area) for them to run the application before 90 days, and then told me they'd release it earlier if I could prove otherwise. Obviously it's a lot easier for me to prove something is illegal (just provide the statue or case law) vs something that is legal (and doesn't appear to be specifically referred to in PA Firearms Law). If I'm right (and it sounds like what I read is correct), then I'm hoping I can go to the shop and help them out so it's not an issue in the future.

I already put down a deposit on the gun so I'm hoping I don't have to buy another elsewhere haha... I want a small gun for summer concealed carry, and I don't need two; I'd rather my second pistol be a larger one I can OC / go to the range and not have to reload as often :-)

(Centre County)

Hunter's Warehouse
    There's your problem right there. Try Belding & Mull, Grice Gun Shop or Bob's Army/Navy

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by SNAFUG36 View Post
    There's your problem right there. Try Belding & Mull, Grice Gun Shop or Bob's Army/Navy
    Haha, this wasn't at Hunter's Warehouse, I just couldn't resist a cheap jab at them after walking in and seeing how crazy expensive ammo was. This was actually at one of the shops you posted, however, I'd rather not say who as they were very nice about it and I think if I show them it's ok then there won't be an issue with the 90 day wait

(Lancaster County)

Just go somewhere else. Really. It's a 50/50 shot when you walk into a gun store whether you'll get good or crap customer service.

... I think if I show them it's ok then there won't be an issue with the 90 day wait
    They gonna knock 50% off the purchase price for you doing their legal research for them?
    Johnnie F.

(Mifflin County)

As you stated, it's easier to prove something is illegal. Tell them to either provide the proof to back up their claim, or refund your money and allow you to shop someone that does know law.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    As you stated, it's easier to prove something is illegal. Tell them to either provide the proof to back up their claim, or refund your money and allow you to shop someone that does know law.

Seriously.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast