Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Centre County)

Default Re: New PA Resident - Need to wait 90 days for pistol?

I'm an FFL in State College (I run a small gun repair business and do transfers and special orders, etc.) There is no 90 day residency requirement any more. As long as you have a PA DL and pass the PICS, you can buy a handgun.

Download a copy of Title 18, Chapter 61 (PA Uniform Firearms Act) and take it to the dealer and tell him to find the 90 day residency requirement in there. He will not be able to do so. If he doesn't proceed with the sale, ask for all your money back and go to another store (or come to me and we'll order what you want ).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Chester County)

Just go somewhere else, preferably away from the border shops that fear Bloomberg lawsuits.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    I'm an FFL in State College (I run a small gun repair business and do transfers and special orders, etc.) There is no 90 day residency requirement any more. As long as you have a PA DL and pass the PICS, you can buy a handgun.

Download a copy of Title 18, Chapter 61 (PA Uniform Firearms Act) and take it to the dealer and tell him to find the 90 day residency requirement in there. He will not be able to do so. If he doesn't proceed with the sale, ask for all your money back and go to another store (or come to me and we'll order what you want ).
    Thank you for the excellent suggestion, I'm printing that document too as we speak to show them.

Again, this was a Central PA shop that is well-liked on this board, this was not some border shop or one that always gets crap on here... which is why I'm hoping that once I show them the laws and explain that other FFL's would be happy to do the sale, they will release it.

I obviously passed the PICS yesterday (in order to get the LCTF, plus I've never been arrested) and my drivers license, though "temporary," is certainly a PA one, hence the issue.

Thanks for clarifying it everyone, I certainly appreciate all the insight. If I had a FFL, I would be very careful in avoiding anything that might be grey, however, in this case, it just seems the person I spoke too was ill-informed. Again, I wouldn't mind waiting 90 days if the law said that, or the store policy was that, however, 90 days takes us to the beginning of August... that's a lot of missed range time with my eventual concealed carry :-(

(Centre County)

Talking Re: New PA Resident - Need to wait 90 days for pistol?

I just wanted to provide an update to those of you following this. Earlier today I called up a few shops in the area just to get a good consensus, and after everyone told me it was fine, I called up the shop I dealt with yesterday.

After I explained the research I did, they quickly apologized, stated there was some confusion on their end over whether I had a PA license or not (there were a lot of customers and I can see how that could have occurred), and they told me if I came in there wouldn't be a problem.

I showed up earlier this afternoon and walked out an hour later with my pistol :-) Now I just need some good defensive 9 ammo (along with a good IWB holster and, eventually, some night sights)

Thanks for clarifying it everyone, this ended up being a communication issue and nothing more, however, it's nice to be a part of such an informed community that I was immediately able to get an answer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12