Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Response from Toomey

Sent him a email before he voted on the back ground check bill.Just got the response.

Thank you for contacting me about national firearms policy. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

Like many Pennsylvanians, I have long been a supporter of the Second Amendment. Americans have an individual right to bear arms for self-protection, hunting and recreation. In fact, during my tenure in the House of Representatives (1999-2005), my record of supporting gun owners' rights earned me an "A" rating from the National Rifle Association (NRA).

As important as Second Amendment rights are, our society recognizes that these rights do not apply to criminals and the dangerously mentally ill. Writing for the conservative majority in the landmark Supreme Court case, District of Columbia v. Heller, in which the court struck down the D.C. gun ban, Justice Antonin Scalia stated, "Nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill...or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms." In other words, Justice Scalia affirmed that laws preventing criminals and the dangerously mentally ill from obtaining firearms do not infringe on the Second Amendment.

As you know, I recently introduced an amendment, along with Senator Joe Manchin (D-WV), to the Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act of 2013 (S. 649). Our amendment had three parts. The first was to improve state compliance with the existing National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). The second part was to expand background checks to commercial sales at gun shows or through the internet. These first two parts of our amendment were designed to make it more difficult for criminals and dangerously mentally ill persons to acquire firearms. The third part would have provided law abiding citizens with expanded opportunities to exercise their Second Amendment Rights.

With regard to the first part of the amendment, NICS relies on states to provide records of persons who should not possess firearms. Compliance varies greatly with some states providing very few records. The amendment requires states to completely participate in NICS in order to be eligible for certain types of federal grant funding.

Full state participation in NICS would help prevent the kind of tragedy that took place at Virginia Tech in 2007. Prior to that mass shooting, in which 32 people were murdered and 23 were injured, shooter Seung Hui Cho had been found mentally ill by a Virginia judge. However, Virginia did not submit that court record to NICS. The absence of this critical information in NICS enabled Cho to pass a background check and purchase the handguns he used for the shooting. This is one example of how the threat of gun violence can be reduced through improvement of the NICS system, a salient objective of the Manchin-Toomey amendment.

The second part, expansion of background checks to other venues such as gun shows, is not a new idea. In the aftermath of the Columbine High School tragedy in 1999, the NRA supported expanding background checks at gun shows during consideration by the House of Representatives of the Mandatory Gun Show Background Check Act (H.R. 2122). I agreed with the NRA then, and so did many of my colleagues on both sides of the aisle who voted in favor of this legislation.

Current law already requires a background check through NICS for all sales conducted through a federally licensed gun dealer. The Manchin-Toomey amendment would have required individuals seeking to purchase firearms from a non-dealer at a gun show to undergo the same background check as required for purchases from licensed dealers. The amendment would not have mandated "universal" background checks. Personal, non-commercial transfers would not have required background checks.

The third part of our amendment would have been achieved through a number of measures. These measures included allowing active duty military service members to buy a gun in their home state and providing a new legal process for restoring the Second Amendment rights of veterans who, under current law, can be unfairly prevented from acquiring a firearm. Another benefit included protecting law abiding gun owners from arrest or detention by fixing interstate travel laws.

Contrary to some reports, the amendment would not have created or enabled a national gun registry. I have always strongly opposed a gun registry, so our amendment prohibited the creation of a registry and would have established a new felony offense, punishable by a 15-year prison sentence, for any official who attempted to create a federal registry.

Senator Manchin and I posted the text of our amendment on our websites on April 11, 2013, thereby providing six days for our colleagues and the public to review the 49-page measure before a vote. On April 17, 2013, despite bipartisan support and a 54-46 vote in favor, the amendment was defeated due to a 60-vote threshold that was agreed to by unanimous consent.

I acknowledge that some will disagree with the Manchin-Toomey amendment. I am under no illusion that the amendment would necessarily prevent a determined criminal or dangerously mentally ill person from acquiring a firearm. No system can be 100 percent effective in denying firearms to those that should not have them, but that does not mean we should not try to improve the current system. In my view, keeping guns out of the hands of these people is not gun control, but common sense.

Thank you again for your correspondence. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Pat Toomey

(Centre County)

Thumbs down Re: Response from Toomey

Got mine also..how thoughtful of him..:
    Thank you for contacting me about national firearms policy. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.
    Like many Pennsylvanians, I have long been a supporter of the Second Amendment. Americans have an individual right to bear arms for self-protection, hunting and recreation. In fact, during my tenure in the House of Representatives (1999-2005), my record of supporting gun owners' rights earned me an "A" rating from the National Rifle Association (NRA).
    As important as Second Amendment rights are, our society recognizes that these rights do not apply to criminals and the dangerously mentally ill. Writing for the conservative majority in the landmark Supreme Court case, District of Columbia v. Heller, in which the court struck down the D.C. gun ban, Justice Antonin Scalia stated, "Nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill...or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms." In other words, Justice Scalia affirmed that laws preventing criminals and the dangerously mentally ill from obtaining firearms do not infringe on the Second Amendment.
    As you know, I recently introduced an amendment, along with Senator Joe Manchin (D-WV), to the Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act of 2013 (S. 649). Our amendment had three parts. The first was to improve state compliance with the existing National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). The second part was to expand background checks to commercial sales at gun shows or through the internet. These first two parts of our amendment were designed to make it more difficult for criminals and dangerously mentally ill persons to acquire firearms. The third part would have provided law abiding citizens with expanded opportunities to exercise their Second Amendment Rights.
    With regard to the first part of the amendment, NICS relies on states to provide records of persons who should not possess firearms. Compliance varies greatly with some states providing very few records. The amendment requires states to completely participate in NICS in order to be eligible for certain types of federal grant funding.
    Full state participation in NICS would help prevent the kind of tragedy that took place at Virginia Tech in 2007. Prior to that mass shooting, in which 32 people were murdered and 23 were injured, shooter Seung Hui Cho had been found mentally ill by a Virginia judge. However, Virginia did not submit that court record to NICS. The absence of this critical information in NICS enabled Cho to pass a background check and purchase the handguns he used for the shooting. This is one example of how the threat of gun violence can be reduced through improvement of the NICS system, a salient objective of the Manchin-Toomey amendment.
    The second part, expansion of background checks to other venues such as gun shows, is not a new idea. In the aftermath of the Columbine High School tragedy in 1999, the NRA supported expanding background checks at gun shows during consideration by the House of Representatives of the Mandatory Gun Show Background Check Act (H.R. 2122). I agreed with the NRA then, and so did many of my colleagues on both sides of the aisle who voted in favor of this legislation.
    Current law already requires a background check through NICS for all sales conducted through a federally licensed gun dealer. The Manchin-Toomey amendment would have required individuals seeking to purchase firearms from a non-dealer at a gun show to undergo the same background check as required for purchases from licensed dealers. The amendment would not have mandated "universal" background checks. Personal, non-commercial transfers would not have required background checks.
    The third part of our amendment would have been achieved through a number of measures. These measures included allowing active duty military service members to buy a gun in their home state and providing a new legal process for restoring the Second Amendment rights of veterans who, under current law, can be unfairly prevented from acquiring a firearm. Another benefit included protecting law abiding gun owners from arrest or detention by fixing interstate travel laws.
    Contrary to some reports, the amendment would not have created or enabled a national gun registry. I have always strongly opposed a gun registry, so our amendment prohibited the creation of a registry and would have established a new felony offense, punishable by a 15-year prison sentence, for any official who attempted to create a federal registry.
    Senator Manchin and I posted the text of our amendment on our websites on April 11, 2013, thereby providing six days for our colleagues and the public to review the 49-page measure before a vote. On April 17, 2013, despite bipartisan support and a 54-46 vote in favor, the amendment was defeated due to a 60-vote threshold that was agreed to by unanimous consent.
    I acknowledge that some will disagree with the Manchin-Toomey amendment. I am under no illusion that the amendment would necessarily prevent a determined criminal or dangerously mentally ill person from acquiring a firearm. No system can be 100 percent effective in denying firearms to those that should not have them, but that does not mean we should not try to improve the current system. In my view, keeping guns out of the hands of these people is not gun control, but common sense.
    Thank you again for your correspondence. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of assistance.
    Sincerely,

Pat Toomey
    U.S. Senator, Pennsylvania
    That part in particular stands out to me. It illustrates that the clowns up there really do think that they are worthy of our trust! Completely disconnected. In no way do I believe that anyone would abide by that provision of the bill...they would create a registry, and you better believe they would NEVER imprison a politician for "attempting" to create a federal registry.
    Hunting is NOT a 2nd Amendment Activity

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Response from Toomey

Like everyone else, I also got my response from him; I replied back:

OK,
    I still feel that you are a traitor to the lawful gun owners of America; and will do everything that I possibly can (talk to, email, write, put up signs, pass out flyers, etc….) to insure that you do not get re-elected next term.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Bucks County)

Hey, can i join the club? i got the same letter also. lol i guess now that it's over he'll be busy responding to all the letters & such he got from us all. i can't wait till election time

(Delaware County)

Yep...I got the same tripe for a response.

All I can say is: AMF!
    (Member NRA & GOA)

(Chester County)

Yup-per, got my letter. I didn't respond. I was too busy writing to Charles Grassley and his crew thanking them for standing up for my rights when my own Senators won't.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(York County)

In my view, keeping guns out of the hands of these people is not gun control, but common sense.
    Just this statement alone exposes the naive viewpoint. I'll admit that I once held a similar stance but after much reflection have since changed. Take the statement keeping guns out of the hands of these people. That is the very definition of Gun Control. Who decides who "these people" are? On what grounds is that decision made? What safeguards are there against wrongful judgement? The Senator is entitled to his opinion but as a law maker should learn to put the Constitution first and his opinion second.

The Constitution is pretty clear with "... the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." Just because Mr. Toomey and others are willing to forfeit their Constitutional rights does not mean that I am or that you should.

(Chester County)

JenniferG nailed it in another thread with

Toomey saw an opportunity to make himself appear as some type of moderate when the real issue was he was offered a job if lost his seat for his support for new gun control by Fast Eddie Rendell and to have the Bloomberg ads pulled. Toomey fell for it, took the bait hook line and sinker.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Lawrence County)

The fact of the matter is that if all the states decided they wanted to end the private sale of firearms, all firearms, they could. They could pass laws in their state that all firearms must be transferred through an FFL. Congress would have nothing to do with it. They could've done this 20 years ago, but they haven't. Nothing is stopping them, but they won't do it. They want it to be Federal so they can place the blame on as few people as possible.

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chazman321 View Post
    The fact of the matter is that if all the states decided they wanted to end the private sale of firearms, all firearms, they could. They could pass laws in their state that all firearms must be transferred through an FFL. Congress would have nothing to do with it. They could've done this 20 years ago, but they haven't. Nothing is stopping them, but they won't do it. They want it to be Federal so they can place the blame on as few people as possible.
    Maybe they won't do it simply because their constituents don't want it. I think that the state legislators are a bit closer to their constituency and not as subject to the pollution of ideas from outside of the constituency.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast