Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Medium frame .38 revolver with light DA trigger.

Looking to get a shortlist for potential revolvers for my fiancee as an HD firearm. She prefers revolvers to autos for their simpler manual of arms.

She likes the trigger on the LCR but this will be a HD firearm not a carry one so some extra weight to manage recoil and 4" barrel would be preferable.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Medium frame .38 revolver with light DA trigger.

ANY barrel length S&W Model 10 or if stainless is prefered Model 64. .38 Special but +P rated. But don't turn your nose up on a Model 19 or 67. Search the used market, there's lots available for reasonable $$$. Once you have the gun for her get a good set of stocks like Hogue.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Susquehanna County)

WOOO HOOO! You just happen to be in luck!

Here's a thread in this forum discussing some availbale Model 10s from Bud's. A 3" barrel length so suitable for holster, concealed or nightstand duty. Take a look!

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/21...odel-10-a.html

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    ANY barrel length S&W Model 10 or if stainless is prefered Model 64. .38 Special but +P rated. But don't turn your nose up on a Model 19 or 67. Search the used market, there's lots available for reasonable $$$. Once you have the gun for her get a good set of stocks like Hogue.
    The ability to later add a CT laser grip would be nice as well.

Here's a thread in this forum discussing some availbale Model 10s from Bud's. A 3" barrel length so suitable for holster, concealed or nightstand duty. Take a look!

Figures, I'm only in the research stage and anything I purchase I would want her to at least dry fire first if not shoot.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Allegheny County)

QuackXP,
    Looks to me to be a perfect match for your better half. My wife shoots a 4" model 10 and prefers it over any other handgun she's tried from .22 revolvers and Semi's to Glock 17's. These Model 10's have a very smooth trigger and very manageable recoil.

If you ever want to have her shoot it, we can hook up on a Sunday morning. PM me.
    Last edited by Hawk; April 30th, 2013 at 04:58 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    Looking to get a shortlist for potential revolvers for my fiancee as an HD firearm. She prefers revolvers to autos for their simpler manual of arms.

She likes the trigger on the LCR but this will be a HD firearm not a carry one so some extra weight to manage recoil and 4" barrel would be preferable.
    S&W model 10 with a 4 inch barrel, put a set of Hogue grips on it, and she is good to go.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

Buds actually has 3" and 4" models currently. My recommendation was going to be a K frame Smith as well. Great triggers, big enough to knock recoil down, but not too big. A 10 would be a perfect, or you could always go with a 19 or 65/66 in the .357 and shoot .38s out of it.

(Westmoreland County)

Looking to get a shortlist for potential revolvers for my fiancee as an HD firearm.
    I am in agreement with most regarding the Model 10 and Model 64 in a four inch format.

Smart lady.

She prefers revolvers to autos for their simpler manual of arms.
    This is a misrepresentation of facts and patently untrue because it is not limited to loading the cylinder and pressing the trigger. But before we get into this, we need to define "manual of arms" and describe "auto-loader".

The manual of arms of the revolver involves loading and unloading, a high primer check, stabilizing the cylinder as one is about to load the cylinder, dealing with recalcitrant empty cartridges that refuse to eject, three distinct methods of pressing the trigger and tactical reloading.

Will all of these skill sets be needed in a lethal threat encounter in the home? Probably not but they are factual with regard to the definition of "manual of arms". Hoping one won't need the skill sets "in the home" is gambling with ones safety.

Description of the term "auto-loader" can range from the simplistic Glock with its passive safety system to a traditional DA/SA auto with its rather complex manual of arms due to the nature of de-cocking.

(Susquehanna County)

The ability to later add a CT laser grip would be nice as well.

Figures, I'm only in the research stage and anything I purchase I would want her to at least dry fire first if not shoot.
    I'm pretty sure the laser grips are available and if she doesn't like it keep, it for yourself! But, I don't think either of you will be displeased!

(Montgomery County)

I have to second TonyF, easier a revolver aint! You want easy, a S&W M&P 9 full size without the stupid safety. Here is how it works:
    -Insert magazine
    -Cycle slide
    -Pull trigger
    (repeat to reload)

Here is how a revolver works:
    -Open Cylinder.
    -Switch revolver to suport hand.
    -Hold cylinder while loading.
    -Load chambers.
    -Close cylinder.
    -Pull trigger

Reload:
    -Open cylinder.
    -Switch hands.
    -Strike extractor with palm of hand.
    -Check to make sure all chambers empty. (repeat if not clear)
    etc....

The auto is easier. I see lots of women think that they like revolvers over autos because there is no slide that is coming back at them. Run 10 cylinders worth of shoot-reload-shoot drills with a revolver then an auto and see which one is preferred then. A gun is no talisman, you have to work it to get the benefit.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast