Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help with PA travel information

Hello fellow gun owners. I have a question I need some help with. I have a Texas CHL and usually carry a weapon with me when I travel. I am traveling through your area and my wife wants to go to Niagara Falls. I need a place to leave my weapon in PA so as to not carry and deal with NY or Canada. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Smile Re: Help with PA travel information

I guess I should also ask would that be legal?

Default Re: Help with PA travel information

Do you know anyone in PA?
    If so I'm guessing you could leave it there, provided they have a ltcf it should be no problem. Even without a ltcf there should be some legal way to leave it.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Erie County)

I don't know of any "official" places to leave your weapon, for a jaunt into the Peoples Republic of NY.
    Check transport rules for NY. You may be able to leave it locked in your trunk, ammo separated, for the duration.
    The most dangerous place in America is a "gun free" zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    I don't know of any "official" places to leave your weapon, for a jaunt into the Peoples Republic of NY.
    Check transport rules for NY. You may be able to leave it locked in your trunk, ammo separated, for the duration.
    AFAIK that is a no go in NYS.

You could call the NYSP and ask them to meet you somewhere and have them hold on to it for you.

GOD NO DON'T DO THAT!

J/K
    FUCK BIDEN

GC: We are going to end up with relatives in central PA for a visit but wanted to take in Niagara Falls first. Guess we will need to head to relatives first then the Falls. Thanks

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Do you know anyone in PA?
    If so I'm guessing you could leave it there, provided they have a ltcf it should be no problem. Even without a ltcf there should be some legal way to leave it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan51 View Post
    GC: We are going to end up with relatives in central PA for a visit but wanted to take in Niagara Falls first. Guess we will need to head to relatives first then the Falls. Thanks
    Be aware that lending or otherwise transferring possession of your firearm to someone who is not a Texan, except for narrowly defined 'sporting purposes', is a violation of FEDERAL law (see 18 USC 922(a)(5)). THis is regardless of any state laws permitting same.

§922. Unlawful acts
    (a) It shall be unlawful-
    (5) for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides; except that this paragraph shall not apply to (A) the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or an acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his residence, and (B) the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;
    IANAL

Hmm didn't think about that.

Is it technically transferring if the gun is left locked up?
    FUCK BIDEN

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Hmm didn't think about that.

Is it technically transferring if the gun is left locked up?
    I've seen many forum posts that locking the firearm, ostensibly precluding other's access, suffices especially as it relates to prohibited family members. I've never encountered any references where this tact was asserted in court either successfully or unsuccessfully.

It MAY prevail but then I ask where is the demarcating line as to what constitutes an acceptable locking methodology that would toll the prohibiting statutes. There are no specifications - intuitively there's some crossover point say between a formidable gun safe and a flimsily locked box of plastic, cardboard and other easily defeated material; what about trigger locks -- the location of that break-point on the continuum of securing devices is subjective and elusive.
    Last edited by tl_3237; April 29th, 2013 at 09:28 PM.
    IANAL

(McKean County)

this paragraph shall not apply to (A) the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or an acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his residence, and (B) the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;

what about this section? I am NOT promoting any sort of mis-interpretation or inventive interpretation of any laws, but it seems to me that I, being a person with my state's LTCF, should be able to take possession of a firearm from another with in possession of a proper permit from their state.

That offered, how about leaving it at a LGS in PA for an overnight stay? Opinions on the legality of that?
    Marty near God's Country. Making good people defenseless doesn’t make bad people harmless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast