Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    bucks county, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Question about "references" for concealed carry permit

    A friend of mine is interested in getting a carry permit. She lives in Montgomery county (Elkins park) and works in Philly. I told her that she needs two references, and that they have to live in the county that she lives in. Now I am wondering if that is incorrect. Do they have to live in the same county? If that is the case, she is going to have a problem. SHe does not know many people, and does not know anyone in Montgomery County-she lives in Elkins park because it is cheaper than living in Philly. She can supply Philly residents, bucks county residents, but no one in Montgomery. Can she get a permit without Mont Co. references?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northern Tier, Pennsylvania
    (McKean County)
    Age
    47
    Posts
    5,599
    Rep Power
    4240607

    Default Re: Question about "references" for concealed carry permit

    There is no requirement for the references to live within the applicants county of residence, or the same state. Some sheriffs insist that the references be county specific, which is a violation of state law, IMO.

    I would have her use whomever she wishes. If the sheriff gives her a hard time insist he follow the law and issue or deny. If he will not process the app, contact a good firearms attorney.
    It's the only way anything will ever change.
    Last edited by God's Country; April 28th, 2013 at 09:46 AM.
    Leave the gun....take the cannoli.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    clifton heights, Pennsylvania
    (Delaware County)
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,714
    Rep Power
    1306381

    Default Re: Question about "references" for concealed carry permit

    Quote Originally Posted by salzo View Post
    A friend of mine is interested in getting a carry permit. She lives in Montgomery county (Elkins park) and works in Philly. I told her that she needs two references, and that they have to live in the county that she lives in. Now I am wondering if that is incorrect. Do they have to live in the same county? If that is the case, she is going to have a problem. SHe does not know many people, and does not know anyone in Montgomery County-she lives in Elkins park because it is cheaper than living in Philly. She can supply Philly residents, bucks county residents, but no one in Montgomery. Can she get a permit without Mont Co. references?
    The statute does not require them to be from the same county. Some sheriffs will demand that they are. Hopefully someone from Montco will give there experiance.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Lewisberry, Pennsylvania
    (York County)
    Posts
    797
    Rep Power
    243637

    Default Re: Question about "references" for concealed carry permit

    Most sheriffs don't even contact the references.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Hatboro, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Question about "references" for concealed carry permit

    No one contacted my references and I have never been called when on other people's application. Bucks and Montgomery counties.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    bucks county, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Question about "references" for concealed carry permit

    THanks for the clarification- I just did my renewal in Bucks county, and I was sent a notice that my license was up for renwal- I could swear that on the card they sent me it said that I needed two BUCKS COUNTY references, but maybe I am mistaken.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    outskirts of Reading, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)
    Posts
    457
    Rep Power
    480051

    Default Re: Question about "references" for concealed carry permit

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco76 View Post
    No one contacted my references and I have never been called when on other people's application. Bucks and Montgomery counties.
    same here for me in berks

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    PA, Pennsylvania
    (Delaware County)
    Posts
    3,593
    Rep Power
    614904

    Default Re: Question about "references" for concealed carry permit

    Quote Originally Posted by salzo View Post
    THanks for the clarification- I just did my renewal in Bucks county, and I was sent a notice that my license was up for renwal- I could swear that on the card they sent me it said that I needed two BUCKS COUNTY references, but maybe I am mistaken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lendog View Post
    same here for me in berks
    If the Sheriff wrote in your letter that you need to bring a stool sample too, would you believe it.

    Learn the law yourself, its pasted all over this forum.

    References can be from anywhere, any country on the planet earth

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Upper Darby, Pennsylvania
    (Delaware County)
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,414
    Rep Power
    1052518

    Default Re: Question about "references" for concealed carry permit

    Delaware County told me, basically "not related to yourself or each other". One of my references is in Louisiana, my wife's are in Louisiana and Florida. Mine were never contacted, hers is still being processed.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hershey, Pennsylvania
    (Dauphin County)
    Posts
    374
    Rep Power
    1064909

    Default Re: Question about "references" for concealed carry permit

    I've never hear of them calling a reference.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Fl "Resident" carry permit question.
    By ALS in forum Concealed Carry
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: February 13th, 2013, 11:29 AM
  2. Concealed Carry Is Now "Permit Free" In Arizona !
    By billt in forum Concealed & Open Carry
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 19th, 2010, 07:42 AM
  3. Utah concealed carry mishap causes "death" of "John"
    By dgood71 in forum Concealed Carry
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: August 19th, 2009, 01:27 PM
  4. Concealed Carry Permit Application References (Phila.)
    By HostileCityShooter in forum Concealed Carry
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: April 16th, 2009, 11:03 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 13th, 2008, 12:52 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops