Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Schuylkill County)

Default new guy on forum needs some advice

hello everyone. i recently had a recoil spring in my pt140 millenium(not pro) break. i called taurus and had a new one shipped to my house which got here suprisingly fast which i was very happy about. MY problem is because my gun is an older model the recoil spring assembly does not come assembled. it came with both springs the main rod and the smaller rod. but it didnt come with and kind of instructions on how to get it together. i know what its supposed to look like but the main spring is alot longer than the main rod. i know when assembled these assemblies are not supposed to come apart or seperate easily. the smaller rod and spring does not attach in anyway to the main rod and the thicker spring is way longer than the main rod and i cant assemble the pistol like that. kind of a new guy question i know but if someone could walk me through this or give me some kind of instruction here i would grreatly appreciate it. leaving for work here very shortly and would like to take my pistol out in the morning to get some rounds down range and make sure everything functions properly. thanks in advance

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: new guy on forum needs some advice

Quote Originally Posted by DJ4180 View Post
    hello everyone. i recently had a recoil spring in my pt140 millenium(not pro) break. i called taurus and had a new one shipped to my house which got here suprisingly fast which i was very happy about. MY problem is because my gun is an older model the recoil spring assembly does not come assembled. it came with both springs the main rod and the smaller rod. but it didnt come with and kind of instructions on how to get it together. i know what its supposed to look like but the main spring is alot longer than the main rod. i know when assembled these assemblies are not supposed to come apart or seperate easily. the smaller rod and spring does not attach in anyway to the main rod and the thicker spring is way longer than the main rod and i cant assemble the pistol like that. kind of a new guy question i know but if someone could walk me through this or give me some kind of instruction here i would grreatly appreciate it. leaving for work here very shortly and would like to take my pistol out in the morning to get some rounds down range and make sure everything functions properly. thanks in advance

I dont know what to tell you but did you try and use youtube? Im sure someone might have a video talking about assembly and disassembly or the rod and spring.
    IANAL

(Monroe County)

Go to www.taurusarmed.net browse around that website lots of video tutorials there on Taurus Pistols. i'm a member there too.

Anything you want to know about Taurus Pistols and revolvers go to that site.

And Yes the spring is supposed to be longer than the rod it goes on. Gun makers make them that way to compensate for the amount of "set" that the spring will make over the years of service.

I own about 100 Guns and i have never seen a Spring that were the same lenght of the rod.

Anytway we will take care of you over at www.taurusarmed.net just click on the forums tab and explore.

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post

I own about 100 Guns and i have never seen a Spring that were the same lenght of the rod.
    heck, I've never seen a recoil spring break, though I know it happens from time to time.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

If you don't find anything, can you post a pic of the parts you have? The assembly, if it is a two piece rod with two springs, will look like this when put together: https://www.google.com/search?q=pt+1....0%3B639%3B382 pics will/should determine which sides each ends of the springs go on.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Montgomery County)

Remember that recoil springs should be changed periodically. To be conservative, I change mine every three years or 3,000 rounds... whichever comes first. Recoil springs are relatively inexpensive and easy to swap. Autolading pistols turn into paper weights when the recoil spring fails.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Schuylkill County)

my problem is that when assembled the smaller rod and spring just rest in the larger rod and spring. they are not joined together in any way, and the larger rod has no lip on the muzzle end to keep the spring on the rod. when i insert it into my pistol the larger spring hangs off the rod by about an inch and the only thing that compresses it is the slide itself. i have fired it like this as i was assured by taurus CS that this is the way it is. but im just second guessing myself is all. the picture posted in the link by 300wm is accurate accept the fact that there is a cap on the muzzle side compressing the spring onto the large rod...on mine the spring hangs off the end of it...i will try and post pictures as soon as i figure out how to get them off my phone onto the computer. im useless when it comes to things like that. thanks again guys

(Allegheny County)

My first pistol was a used taurus pt140, and this same thing happened to me....after 7 rounds.
    Shoulda' bought a Hi-Point