Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: How do you carry in your vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    OP,
    Is it your plan to engage a bad guy from inside your vehicle, let alone with your seat belt on? I can't think of any scenario where that would be my first choice of action.

You really want to maintain control of the side arm at all times. Keep it on your person.
    No sir, I hope to never have to be in any situation. I do agree with you, drawing my weapon would not be my first choice either.

Believe it or not, my gun/holster is very secure within the storage pocket of the dash.

(Bucks County)

9:00 IWB or OWB depending on which holster and easy to wear seatbelt cause I'm a lefty.

(Allegheny County)

I carry at 4:00 regardless. I don't want to have to put on and take off a holster when getting in and out of a vehicle. It's not the most ideal draw, but in a vehicle I always lock the doors and leave enough room between me and the car in front of me to go around. If I'm in what I like to call a condition orange neighborhood I try my best not to stop at all. So if I see a red light down the road i'll slow down a bit in hopes that it is green by the time I arrive. Hands at strict 10&2 and I check mirrors more often. If i'm in my little 4 banger manual Ill shift a bit later to keep the RPM more in the optimal power band.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rblakely View Post
    Not bad, I could probably make one similar. Thanks for the idea!

(Venango County)

Even though the law would allow me to leave the weapon in the vehicle as my family now stands, I would not like off body carry for fear of leaving it behind at some point and having my kid be pulled over. So until they all become of age, I like on-body carry.

When they get older and move out, I will reconsider. Now, I prefer cross body vertical shoulder holster when in a vehicle.

Although it may fit snugly, I would suggest bolting or securing it somehow. In a crash, an object of a couple of pounds could suddenly become hundreds of pounds and either injure or at the very least, go out of your reach/control. Even holstered/secured this could happen but it would be less likely. Just my thoughts on the subject. I tend to play the odds as I see them. And as we know from life/math that can be delusional, too!
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post

Although it may fit snugly, I would suggest bolting or securing it somehow. In a crash, an object of a couple of pounds could suddenly become hundreds of pounds and either injure or at the very least, go out of your reach/control. Even holstered/secured this could happen but it would be less likely. Just my thoughts on the subject. I tend to play the odds as I see them. And as we know from life/math that can be delusional, too!
    I have been looking for ways to securing the holster, it's a matter of finding something on the market that fits my needs, I may just make my own system to securing. I've also been looking into vehicle gun vaults, I'm not permitted to carry at work and must leave my side arm locked in my truck. From the vaults that I have seen, I'm not liking the mounting locations or the amount of room they require, so I may have to also make my own custom vault.

(Allegheny County)

I think I know the answer to this question but I'm going to ask anyway. I usually take my loaded concealed firearm off my hip and place it in an open area of my car as well. If a police officer would happen to see the firearm in my vehicle, is he authorized then to assume it to be loaded and demand my LTCF? Can that be the reason for him to detain me to check it out or would I have to be pulled over for some other infraction first?

(Philadelphia County)

I usually carry at 3 o'clock with a IWB. I also drive a truck with a bench seat. Most of the time I don't ride with a seat belt . I also have a Kimber Pepper Blaster tucked in the sun blocker panel [I forgot what you call it]. My thought is I can get to the Pepper Blaster quickly and stun/blind the bad guy. If he doesn't take the message I can pull out my sidearm.

I've also been looking around for holster that mount in cars.

Here's a nice one from the NRA that mounts on the side:http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/Pro...=SA+22672&ct=e

/\ Only problem it mounts on the left and when you open your door everyone can see it. Still looks like it will work for $30 tough.

Here's another holster from the NRA that mounts under you steering wheel:http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/Pro...2817&p=SA22685

Another user posted it for $5 dollars less, but for all you guys who need everything to have a NRA logo on it

Here's a video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1PQHq6Je2k

/\ If I get a vehicle with a center console or set up like this, This how I'll probably carry.
    Last edited by RebelRaider5; April 25th, 2013 at 12:49 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Just like out of the vehicle, OWB, 3:00. I carry a full-size 1911.
    I have once or twice carried it in a IWB holster, same position.

Why move it around? Is this a frequent thing?

I cannot comfortably wear an IWB holster at the 3:00 position, i am too bony. At the 5:00 position it kinda gets hidden in my butt cheek.

I think a better holster would solve that, but I have not gotten around to getting one.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Two Fists View Post
    I think I know the answer to this question but I'm going to ask anyway. I usually take my loaded concealed firearm off my hip and place it in an open area of my car as well. If a police officer would happen to see the firearm in my vehicle, is he authorized then to assume it to be loaded and demand my LTCF? Can that be the reason for him to detain me to check it out or would I have to be pulled over for some other infraction first?

Seeing a handgun inside the car, loaded or otherwise would be enough reason for him to request your LTCF.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast