Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Pocket pistol, tcp?

I find a need for a pistol that I could throw in a pocket. I've been searching forums for weeks and just saw the Taurus tcp. The only gun I've owned that hasn't stoved me is my pt145. I think I want one, especially at around $200! My question (finally) is how accurate is this tiny gun? I don't expect headshots at 30yards but I can't have 10" gtoups at 10 yards. What kind of accuracy can I expect at 15 yards? Is the tcp reliable? Any other suggestions that would be worth the money. I only need acceptable accuracy, small and light, holster/ parts availability. My decision will be made based on input from this forum.
    Thanks, bj

(Chester County)

Default Re: Pocket pistol, tcp?

There are a fair amount of threads on the TCP.

http://search.pafoa.org/?q=taurus+tc...%3Avrvbtifxywe

I think you are about to get a lot of responses telling you to stay away from Taurus due to their spotty reliability and dreadful customer service. That said, you are also going to get a ton of responses saying "but mine work flawlessly!" I've never owned a Taurus, so I can't speak from experience with the TCP.. but I probably wouldn't buy one simply because they do seem to be hit or miss. Regardless, I am sure the TCP will be plenty accurate for defensive work if you do your part.

Personally, I ended up with the Ruger LCP, and it has been very reliable for little pocket gun. You may have good luck with the Keltec as well. The most important thing, as I am sure you know, is to just make sure it is reliable with whatever your chosen defense load is, and spend the money to run a few boxes of it through the gun and make sure it feeds well. What ever you end up with .. good luck! Everyone needs a pocket pistol!
    Last edited by rockstrongo; April 24th, 2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Added info on keltec.

(Northampton County)

Love mine. Best trigger in a DAO pocket .380.
    25 ft can stay in a paper plate single handed. Soft shooting.
    Can shoot through a box or two easily.
    Mine has only ever had issues with Herters steel cased ammo. Everything else runs smooth as glass. Make sure you do not get one with the letter "A" in the serial number.
    First runs were problematic.

Slide locks back unlike the Keltec. Trigger is butter compared to an LCP. Looks better than both.
    The only issue is the coating on the slide. Thin and wears easily. Get a stainless model or think about Cerakoting if you buy the black.

Edit.
    I compared the TCP, LCP, P3AT, IO Hellcat, and the NAA Guardian.
    The Bodyguard and Kahr P380 seemed too big for pocket carry.

The TCP won on all accounts except for being not as nice looking as the NAA.
    Although if I could have found a Guardian in .32NAA I would have bought it. One nasty little round.
    Last edited by Armor Snail; April 24th, 2013 at 07:28 PM.

(Chester County)

That's funny... I have a P3AT, a LCP and a Bodyguard 380. I prefer the Bodyguard because it fits my hand better and is negligibly larger. I'd go LCP over the TCP though. Fit and finish just seems better to me. Also the LCP is a bit more rounded on the all the edges/corners.

ETA::: to the OP... Make sure you get a good pocket holster... something that completely covers the trigger.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(York County)

Have you considered a revolver?

I've tried the lcp, pf9, pm9, and shot a tcp. Out of all those, the pm9 would be my vote, hands down. I've also pocket carried a Glock 26 without issues although it's a little on the heavy side compared to the others.

My go to pocket gun will always be the Ruger lcr .38spl. The others have come and gone but the revolver always stays in my pocket. You might want to give one a try before discounting them.

(Bucks County)

+1 TCP better trigger then a LCP

I pocket carry mine everyday.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by rockstrongo View Post
    There are a fair amount of threads on the TCP.

http://search.pafoa.org/?q=taurus+tc...%3Avrvbtifxywe

I think you are about to get a lot of responses telling you to stay away from Taurus due to their spotty reliability and dreadful customer service. That said, you are also going to get a ton of responses saying "but mine work flawlessly!" I've never owned a Taurus, so I can't speak from experience with the TCP.. but I probably wouldn't buy one simply because they do seem to be hit or miss. Regardless, I am sure the TCP will be plenty accurate for defensive work if you do your part.

Personally, I ended up with the Ruger LCP, and it has been very reliable for little pocket gun. You may have good luck with the Keltec as well. The most important thing, as I am sure you know, is to just make sure it is reliable with whatever your chosen defense load is, and spend the money to run a few boxes of it through the gun and make sure it feeds well. What ever you end up with .. good luck! Everyone needs a pocket pistol!
    Three are many topics on it, I just didn't get the answers that I wanted. I agree, reliability is tops in a defensive handgun. I usually carry with fmj to be honest, with a .380, it's hps. I have a feeling I'll be spending as much on ammo as the gun to find out what the gun likes.

(Delaware County)

Armor: thanks, kinda what I'm looking for info wise.
    Pis, for this gun, f&f doesn't matter, kinda looking for function and accuracy... not that they don't coincide. Did you shoot all of them? What holster would you recommend?
    24/7: I own revolvers, never really have them pocket consideration. I'll have to research them a little more... It just seems weight could be an issue at a lower price. In all honesty, I'd probably feel safer with a striker da next to my boys than a revolver. I'll check them out though, thanks.

Ok first things first. Stop carrying fmj for defense, it's not a penetration game it's an accountability one. Even .380 fmj can go through and if they do its your ass. HP ammo works in all calibers use it please.
    As far as what works I think you'll find most quality HP ammo works in almost any modern firearm. Federal, Speer,CorBon anything like these and you'll be fine. Put some rounds through for function about 50 and call it a day.
    Sorry I don't normally respond with stuff like this but there is an accountability and responsibility of carrying a gun and if a fmj goes through and hit someone else we still have Obama and Feinstein to deal with.

I don't have any experience with the TCP but I think it's a fine gun for the purpose. I prefer the snub 38 over any 380 but that's not the topic. I personally carry a Kahr PM9 as my small gun but in a OWB holster.
    Last edited by *Klutch*; April 24th, 2013 at 09:07 PM.

(Delaware County)

Armor & ocp, which other pocket sized did you shoot? Ultimately what finally made you go tcp? Why wouldn't you have gone tcp if all prices were even?
    Sorry for the amount of questions, given the state of firearms flying off of the shelves I'm going to make my purchase before I hold whatever I buy. I don't care how it feels just what it can do, and how it does it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast