Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Ruger LCR .38/357 Hmmmmm?

OK, here we go, outta' be good!
    I received my revolver (subject matter). Like always I clean first and check out the firearm before I put one single round through it. All good.
    Go to the range, shoot, well pleased. Accurate for a "little gun". Shooting 38 SPCLS.
    2nd time at the range, same results.
    Come home, and clean it really good, check everything. Something I notice that has me a little perplexed.
    When the cyliner is opend and you grasp the yoke (just in front of the cyliner) there is some slight movement...ie...yoke mounted in frame! Now I"m talking YOKE, not the cylinder which slides forward and backward very, very slight (they all do that) but the yoke in the frame...back to front.
    I'm a revolver person and basically a Ruger revolver person but I have never had this situatioin previously.
    OK, answer to the next question: yes, when you close the cylinder there is NO movement of the yoke. but this just serves to tell me that the centerline of the barrel, the cylinder, and the yoke are not all exactly parallel. That ain't good in a revolver. Eventually the gap between the cylinder face and the outside face of the forcing cone is gonna' be a little whacky.
    Any other like experiences?
    Sgt Steve

Default Re: Ruger LCR .38/357 Hmmmmm?

The cylinder having a tic of movement on the ejector rod is fairly normal. I've never seen a revolver that didn't have some free play in this area, however, I wouldn't want ANY free play or movement on the yoke/crane. I don't have an LCR, but I have other revolvers and none of them have a loose yoke/crane...not even my well know, POS Taurus Tracker. I'd call Ruger and see if it is something that is normal on that revolver.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Schuylkill County)

Just checked my recently purchased lcr 22mag. Did not have any movement in mine. Just the normal movement of the cylinder on the ejector rod. Is the metal moving where it's married to the polymer? I would definitely call Ruger and see what they say.

(Clarion County)

Just checked my LCR 38 Special and it does not seem to move.

Thanks guys.
    Yeah, ALL wheel guns have that ejector rod movement to some extent but not in the yoke/crecane area.
    Not only will I call Ruger but I'll go ahead and get it packaged and sent to Ruger.
    I'm one of those that doesn't always believe what someone in customer service says on the phone...better to have a tech actually touch and look at the situation.

Sgt Steve

(Allegheny County)

Sgt. Steve,

I just checked my LCR in .357 and I have movement in the yoke. It's about a millimeter. Please let me know what Ruger says. And thanks for bringing this issue to my attention. I have not encountered any problems in the 200+ rounds I have fired from the revolver (mostly .38 special).

Kyle and all...Yes the area I'm speaking of is the metal to polymer mating at the crane/yoke area.
    If and when you check your firearm do so with the crane/yoke "open".
    This will show if there is movement in the mounting.
    I did receive a response from Ruger and I'm to confirm Serial Number and the problem via phone contact which I plan to do tomorrow (Monday).
    I'll keep "yinz" advised on the outcome.
    One thing to keep in mind...a couple hundred rounds don't really provide any good basis for knowing that all will be ok.
    If, repeat if...the yoke / crane area has axial movement in the earlier stages there's a distinct possibility that the more the gun is shot the more stress is built.
    I'm sure we have some matrials engineers on the forum and it's pretty easy to apply directional impact...nope...I"m not that good to get that finite. But doing some machining and metal work you get a good feel for "whaz-up"!!!
    Let's hope it's all a big nothing.

Sgt Stev

G'morning, it's Friday, 10 May.
    Late yesterday afternoon I received a call from Ruger Customer Service.
    Their purpose in calling me just a few days after the receipt of my LCR was to ask my approval to "issue a replacement/new LCR" in exchange for the LCR I had sent them.
    They felt that nothing further could be done with my original LCR and it should be replaced.
    I asked the customer service person is she had any detailed info on what they felt had cause the problem...ie...loose yoke/crane on the LCR. She did not have that info available.
    I do plan to call and ask for a tech person and further inquire as to what had caused the loose yoke/crane. To my limited Q.C. it appears to be a slightly undersized crane and composite match up.
    Be advised guys.
    Sgt Steve P.S. Remember that one firearm that had a cracked frame!