Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Looking for a shotgun for home defense

THis sits on my nightstand..

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post

Just picked one of these up today but mine is ..... http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossb.../New/51340.jpg
    ~De-Animating the undead since '08~

(Mercer County)

Get an Ithaca Mag-10 "Roadblocker" and never feel under guned.

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stooperzero View Post

THis sits on my nightstand..
    I like it. Very Terminator 2.

(Pike County)

Mosseys for me, have 4, 2 500's and 2 590's. If you want one with a pistol grip only, try one out. With a magnum load it won't be fun, but with pratice you can hit with it. With the pistol grip only many people tend to fire high to their weak side. They are great for tight quarters, like hallways. If you are in an appartment or house with thin walls, watch you loads, as you don't want to shoot the family or the people next door.
    As a bone to the Remmington fans, if I had one I would not feel unarmed with it!
    Had a Bennelli Nova SP, hated it, sold same.

Now this is just me, and I sure I may invite some criticism for my choice but the choice is ultimately mine to make. I shot trap on a fairly frequent basis, so for me my choice would be my Remington Spartan O/U (I know not a great trap gun, but it brakes birds well and was in my price range). It only gives me two shots before I have to go to my Glock 23 (four mags). I live on the second floor of a converted duplex, and with NJ's victim law...I mean retreat law (so the bad guy can ransack your house and corner you) my shot is all of about 6 or 7 feet from where I would be in the room to the door. Two rounds of #8 1 1/8oz. bird shot will more than do the job. If there is more then one guy and the body of his buddy falling back onto him doesn't scare him off, I have the Glock and my roommate has his Glock. I can shoulder that gun to the same spot blindfolded, I have brought it to my shoulder so many times I couldn't even begin to count. A few guys already said it whatever you are comfortable with. Shoot it often, shoulder it often or if pistol grip practice raising it till it is second nature for you. If it is going to be fired to save your life it should be an instinctive fluid motion to bring it to ready to fire position and fire. Again it is about comfort and familiarity. Try out a few different shotguns if you can, and pick what you like best and practice.

This just my $.10 (I wrote more than $.02)

Quote Originally Posted by Raskin91 View Post
    Now this is just me, and I sure I may invite some criticism for my choice but the choice is ultimately mine to make. I shot trap on a fairly frequent basis, so for me my choice would be my Remington Spartan O/U (I know not a great trap gun, but it brakes birds well and was in my price range). It only gives me two shots before I have to go to my Glock 23 (four mags). I live on the second floor of a converted duplex, and with NJ's victim law...I mean retreat law (so the bad guy can ransack your house and corner you) my shot is all of about 6 or 7 feet from where I would be in the room to the door. Two rounds of #8 1 1/8oz. bird shot will more than do the job. If there is more then one guy and the body of his buddy falling back onto him doesn't scare him off, I have the Glock and my roommate has his Glock. I can shoulder that gun to the same spot blindfolded, I have brought it to my shoulder so many times I couldn't even begin to count. A few guys already said it whatever you are comfortable with. Shoot it often, shoulder it often or if pistol grip practice raising it till it is second nature for you. If it is going to be fired to save your life it should be an instinctive fluid motion to bring it to ready to fire position and fire. Again it is about comfort and familiarity. Try out a few different shotguns if you can, and pick what you like best and practice.

This just my $.10 (I wrote more than $.02)
    We ain't in PRNJ!!!!!!!!!!!!

A fact I am jealous of, and hope to be rectifying soon.
    Last edited by Raskin91; April 19th, 2008 at 07:19 PM. Reason: spacing

(Philadelphia County)

I wanted to take the time to thank everyone who posted to this thread. I got a lot of very useful information. I'm going to go out and try a few when I get a chance.
    I'm going to pose this question in this thread then start another because I dont think I will get many answers unless I start a new one but.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to get a good price on a mossberg?
    Glock 23
    Ruger SR9

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast