Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Last Day to Carry (with Florida License)

With the ambitious Kathleen Kane objective, it is obvious that Pennsylvanians who only have the Florida Concealed Firearm License won't be legally able to conceal carry after June 8th, 2013.

1. If you are currently a resident of Pennsylvania only and have a CCP from the state of Florida, your Florida permit will no longer be recognized in Pennsylvania 120 days from the date of this Notice, or on June 8, 2013. In the proscribed time period you may apply for a CCP in the county of your residence. Please be aware that your local Sheriff or Police Department (in cities of the First Class) will have forty-five (45) days from the date of your application on which to grant or deny your application for a CCP.
    It is the general consensus that non-resident Florida licenses WILL NOT be honored regardless of the holder's state of residence (New Jersey in my case). Upon hearing this, I immediately applied for the Utah non-resident permit, which should arrive in my mailbox prior to June 8th. But in the meantime, am I (not being a Pennsylvanian) legally allowed to conceal carry in Pennsylvania with the soon-to-be-worthless Florida license? If not, then that means if I was carrying at the very moment the AG signed her agreement, I was committing a crime. (Borderline ex post facto?) Her full notice only addresses those who are from Pennsylvania or Florida, falling short of giving NJ residents an effective expiration date on their FL licenses in PA.

P.S. my condolences go out to those in Philadelphia who had their PA LTC's unfairly revoked by the city. Until the new agreement, Florida was their only option.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Last Day to Carry (with Florida License)

PA only restricted the reciprocity for its own residents using the FL license, so you'll still be good to go.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Delaware County)

FL license will absolutely still be valid for carrying a firearm in a vehicle.
    As far as reciprocity goes for concealed carry in Philly...

Some would argue that she has no authority to kill reciprocity

Edit: just saw you're from NJ
    As above

(Northampton County)

If you have done nothing wrong, you should be able to get a PA LTCF
    with no problem, so it should be a non issue

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 10PointHunter View Post
    He's is NJ, meaning he can't get a PA one without a NJ one which is nearly impossible.

As far as your post.... Tell that to Philly residents with unpaid parking tickets

Quote Originally Posted by 10PointHunter View Post
    The only thing wrong I've ever done was become a New Jersey resident. Because NJ won't give me a permit, neither will PA - irrespective of my clean background.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    PA only restricted the reciprocity for its own residents using the FL license, so you'll still be good to go.
    I see nothing in the agreement or on the AG's web site to support this (outside of a vehicle). The agreement http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploa...florida_pa.pdf simply says that PA gives full faith and credit to valid FL CCP licenses "issued by the State of Florida to legal residents of the State of Florida." Her notice at http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploa...e_02062013.pdf gives PA residents 120 days to comply, but is silent on others. What did I miss?

I hope you're right about that. But I'm doubtful.
    Handgunlaw.us dropped PA from the "States that honor Florida Non-Resident Permit/license" list altogether. It doesn't make an exception for non-Pennsylvanians. It looks like the scope of conceal carry in PA with just a FL license is limited to residents of the Gunshine State.

Anyway, it won't matter once I get my Utah permit. I think it will remain valid for a good amount of time in the Commonwealth.

(Chester County)

This is incorrect.

As I type this, Pa will only reciprocate a FL license IF:

1. it's issued to a bona fide FL resident/dual resident; OR
    2. Issued to a PA resident.

#2 disappears 6/8/13.

If you have a FL license and you are not a PA or FL resident, since 2/1/13 it has become worthless in PA (except for vehicle carry).
    Last edited by tl_3237; April 23rd, 2013 at 03:59 PM.
    IANAL

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by jokin'dull View Post
    With the ambitious Kathleen Kane objective, it is obvious that Pennsylvanians who only have the Florida Concealed Firearm License won't be legally able to conceal carry after June 8th, 2013.

It is the general consensus that non-resident Florida licenses WILL NOT be honored regardless of the holder's state of residence (New Jersey in my case). Upon hearing this, I immediately applied for the Utah non-resident permit, which should arrive in my mailbox prior to June 8th. But in the meantime, am I (not being a Pennsylvanian) legally allowed to conceal carry in Pennsylvania with the soon-to-be-worthless Florida license? If not, then that means if I was carrying at the very moment the AG signed her agreement, I was committing a crime. (Borderline ex post facto?) Her full notice only addresses those who are from Pennsylvania or Florida, falling short of giving NJ residents an effective expiration date on their FL licenses in PA.

P.S. my condolences go out to those in Philadelphia who had their PA LTC's unfairly revoked by the city. Until the new agreement, Florida was their only option.
    Not ex post facto unless you were charged with a PA carry violation while having a FL CCW occurring PRIOR to the effective date of the new reciprocity agreement.

If you were carrying at the moment of the reciprocity change and didn't qualify for a 6106 exception, then you were committing a crime. The FL CCW would not have qualified as a valid license under 6109.

The reciprocity agreement is perfectly clear that you, as an NJ resident with a FL CCW, did not have reciprocal privileges as of 2/1/13 (or 2/4/13 date of formal signing).

You FL CCW does not have a expiration date other than what FL assigns. It's just not recognized in PA after the specified date.

Your FL CCW is still legal to be used in PA for VEHICLE carry (18 Pa CS 6106(b)(11)).
    IANAL