Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hokkmike Guest

Default A Question of Recoil

I currently shoot a Walther PPS in .40 Smith & Wesson caliber. It is a great compact and lightweight little semi auto double action pistol.

It hides well and is no doubt a very effective defensive round.

So here is my question. If I switch to a revolver of some type in .44 Special or .357 Magnum, or even .38 Special P+ am I looking at the same type of very stiff, not so much fun to shoot, recoil from these kinds of guns as I have in my Walther?

Logic tells me probably so. I guess the variable would be weight. And, I have been told that the operating action of the semi auto mitigates some of the force exerted by the muzzle blast.

I am thinking about trading my PPS for a stainless revolver (no deal found yet) and just want to make sure before I consummate any trade so I felt it prudent to solicit any advice you revolver shooters might have.

Any discussion on the subject is appreciated.

(York County)

Default Re: A Question of Recoil

In a revolver the size and weight plays a big role just like a semi.

My 6 inch gp100 handles .38spl like a .22

Same rounds in a ruger lcr, not so much fun.

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7dude View Post

My 6 inch gp100 handles .38spl like a .22
    That is intriguing...

(Philadelphia County)

Firearm weight is not the only variable, also coming into play is grip shape and size, bullet weight and load level.

Light weight snubbies with skinny factory stocks can sting. A set of hand filling oversized wood grips takes the sting away. Go to rubber Pachmayr’s on the same pistol and it is much more confortable.

Of course the caliber matters, 357 will kick more than a 38+P.

Another point to consider is during a defensive confrontation you will not notice the recoil, your mind will be busy elsewhere. If this pistol is just for defensive carry with some range work to stay familiar maybe just live with it. If you are using it for heavy range use then maybe trade or acquire another arm.

If you want to make sure then rent, borrow, go with a friend and shoot some revolvers and maybe even a different make 40.

(Beaver County)

I have a 3 inch Taurus in .44 special,and it is very pleasant to shoot.

No recoil issues,only finding ammo issues.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Franklin County)

"So here is my question. If I switch to a revolver of some type in .44 Special or .357 Magnum, or even .38 Special P+ am I looking at the same type of very stiff, not so much fun to shoot, recoil from these kinds of guns as I have in my Walther?"

Short answer is: It depends on what revolver and caliber you choose.

If you select a small, concealable revolver in a large or magnum caliber, it will be pretty kicky. If you select a larger, heavier revolver, the recoil will be less (or less noticeable).

Additionally, .40 is a pretty snappy round. I have a PPS in 9mm; its not bad, but not a range 'fun gun' either. I also have a S&W Model 60, 3" barrel 357; it is both fun at the range, loaded with 38 Special or 38+P, much less noticeable recoil and still a lot of fun (5 round J frame).

(Bucks County)

Even some of the smaller revolvers in .357mag were great for me at the range. Had a SP101 3" and it was amazing... Conceals well, dead nuts accurate, and handled the recoil great (which was obviously less w. 38's) Sacrifice would be capacity... Also, it would take some training to get the DA pull down enough to feel comfortable in a SD situation.

I had a S&W 642 that I hated. It was one of the most uncomfortable guns I ever owned. Even regular .38 spcl rounds were unpleasant. I practice with all of my guns. My carry guns get shot hundreds of times before I'm comfortable enough that they will be reliable enough to carry. The 642 was just too light for my tastes.

I replaced the the 642 with a Kel Tec PF9 and I think it's a great gun, but I had to add a lot of things to it to get it to where I thought it would be a reliable, comfortable carry gun.

My wife has a S&W Shield and I think it's a damn near perfect carry gun. It's just heavy enough that the 9mm is a breeze to shoot, and it's small enough to disappear in an IWB holster.

She also has a Ruger SP101 that handles .38 +p rounds quite easily and even .357 can be shot without worrying if your hand is going to ache the next day. The only issue is it's heavy and only holds five rounds. My PF9 holds 8+1, as does my wife's Shield.

If you're worried about recoil, shoot a lighter recoiling round like 9mm or a heavier gun.

I have found .40 to be a fairly uncomfortable round to shoot IMO. Its a fast snappy round, and I really don't care for shooting it very much. The only exception I have found was my fathers Beretta PX4 sub compact, which wasnt bad at all in .40. I much prefer .45 or .357 to .40. That being said, what other have said is completely true about recoil in a revolver. The felt recoil will have alot to do with what size revolver you end up with. A 4" .357 with .38s will be a dream to shoot, and a 6" would be even better. You will notice a difference when going to full house .357 rounds, but it will be less in a 6". If you go to a .44mag, you certainly will get more recoil, but recoil in a revolver is a completely different feeling, more of a push against your hand. I would try to shoot some different examples if you can, and see what works best for you.

You mention recoil being effected by the action. I bought a Walther PPS/K in 380 ACP thinking the smaller round would kick less than my Smith in 9MM Lugar. I was wrong and didn't know why till I spoke with a friend who told me the Walter action is gas operated and the Smith is recoil operated action. So the action takes up recoil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast