Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Venango County)

Default Re: Philly LTCF Troubles, Gun Permit Unit and "45 days"

I wonder what would happen if someone just started carrying after the time frame was up. In other words, they would carry an officially dated letter/application plus the law and any other material regarding 45 calendar day limit.

I am sure, if caught, especially in Philly, they would be in for fight for their lives against what we already see as a bad (dare we say corrupt) system. So it would take someone with a lot of courage and resolve.

At this point in my life, I must admit I am not that person. Just putting it out there for discussion as an alternative (it's not really civil disobedience either) to suing all the time without any standing. Maybe Philly would refuse to prosecute knowing they would lose and this issue would be dispelled; or they might fight tooth and nail until the State Supreme Court decides it.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    I wonder what would happen if someone just started carrying after the time frame was up. In other words, they would carry an officially dated letter/application plus the law and any other material regarding 45 calendar day limit.

I am sure, if caught, especially in Philly, they would be in for fight for their lives against what we already see as a bad (dare we say corrupt) system. So it would take someone with a lot of courage and resolve.

At this point in my life, I must admit I am not that person. Just putting it out there for discussion as an alternative (it's not really civil disobedience either) to suing all the time without any standing. Maybe Philly would refuse to prosecute knowing they would lose and this issue would be dispelled; or they might fight tooth and nail until the State Supreme Court decides it.
    Fun thought, but I'd be (pleasantly) shocked if that would pass judicial scrutiny. This is after all a state in which it's illegal to resist a patently unlawful arrest. "Self-help" remedies are severely frowned upon.

When wronged by the executive branch you are expected to grovel before the judicial branch to obtain relief, even when timely and effective relief is unavailable.

ETA: if the statute said something like "if the issuing authority has not issued or denied a license within 45 days of application a license shall be deemed issued" that would be a different story, but that's not how it's written.
    Last edited by twency; April 24th, 2013 at 03:42 PM.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Philadelphia County)

Today was my 45th business day. I have received no approval nor denial letter. Guess I'll head down tomorrow.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by bill gray View Post
    In one of the other threads on this topic, an applicant told how he gave the Gun Unit people a coronary. He said that "Deputy Inspector Levin and Captain Healey have determined it is 45 calender days" and their eyeballs popped! A little name dropping and threats of communicating with those supervisors may have an effect.
    If you are going to drop names, make sure you have them correct or you will loose credibility quickly.

There is no such thing as a 'deputy inspector' in the PPD.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by bill gray View Post
    In one of the other threads on this topic, an applicant told how he gave the Gun Unit people a coronary. He said that "Deputy Inspector Levin and Captain Healey have determined it is 45 calender days" and their eyeballs popped! A little name dropping and threats of communicating with those supervisors may have an effect.
    That was me.

The link:http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...cf-page-4.html

I'm post #37:

I went today [1/25/13] to pick up my permit. When I walked in the old guard there asked what I was there for. I told him to pick up my License to Carry. He asked if I had my letter. I told him no and he said, "Oh, I might no be done yet". I said "Well, It's been 45 days". I went up the Elevator and inside the GPU room. Signed in and wrote Pick Up permit. It was 8:45 AM and there was at least 10 people there. In about 15 minutes someone called me up with a girl. I told the girl to go first. When it was my turn, the lady said "License & Letter please". I told her I didn't have a letter but it has been 45 days. She told me "Give me your license and I'll check on it". I gave her my DL and she came back 15 minutes later. She said it's not done, Then I said "Well it's been 45 calendar days". She said "No, It's Business days". I told her "No, It's calendar days. Captain Healy & Staff Inspector Levin both said it was calendar days and encouraged us to quote her on that.". I swear when I said that her mouth dropped a little and her face lost a little color. She paused for a few seconds, then said "Well, Even it was calendar days. You applied Dec. 10". I told here Dec. 10th to now is 45 calendar days. By my count were on the 47th calendar day. She told me to come back in a week and it should be done, Even I don't get my letter in the mail by then. I thanked her and left.
    I went back in a week and had my LTCF issued on the 54th Calendar Day. Go down in a week from your encounter and ask for a status update. If they give you the it's not ready crap, Look at them with a confused face and say something along the lines of "Captain Healy said it was it was 45 calendar days. He said he would talk to you about it and straighten this out a few months ago. Did you hear anything from him?". One member on here ViperGTS19801, has straightened the PPD out a few times. He's even helped a few members on here who unfortuanely had bad run ins with them. If I can find his thread where he posted his conversation with Staff Inspector Levin I'll post it.
    Last edited by RebelRaider5; April 24th, 2013 at 06:23 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Here it is:http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...s-45-days.html

Read this, Print it out if you want and take it in. I printed it out and took it with me. Thankfully I didn't have to use it. Bringing up the names of some higher ranks was enough to make them get on the ball.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRaider5 View Post
    ...If they give you the it's not ready crap, Look at them with a confused face and say something along the lines of "Captain Healy said it was it was 45 calendar days. He said he would talk to you about it and straighten this out a few months ago. Did you hear anything from him?"...
    You'll probably have the most success this way.

(Philadelphia County)

I'm considering going down again on Monday, which will be exactly a week after the last time I was there.

Do you all think this is a good idea? Or will I be wasting my time? I feel like they're just going to give me the "it's not ready" crap. Last time they did this, they told me no matter how long I wait that I'm still not getting it today.

So, don't really know what to do.

Also, who's interested in a class action against the city? If we can get enough of us who have been forced to wait longer than 45 days

(Philadelphia County)

I went today, on my 47th business day. Went to the check in counter and the older gentleman told me that they didnt have to issue it to me in any time frame. I politely told him he was wrong and he said "well, I'll be waiting down here when you come back empty handed." I went up, told the lady I didnt have my letter, but was past the alotted time. 20 minutes later walked out with the license.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ericnjttz View Post
    I went today, on my 47th business day. Went to the check in counter and the older gentleman told me that they didnt have to issue it to me in any time frame. I politely told him he was wrong and he said "well, I'll be waiting down here when you come back empty handed." I went up, told the lady I didnt have my letter, but was past the alotted time. 20 minutes later walked out with the license.
    From my experience with that older guard he seems to have a Holier than thou attitude. I think he might of been a cop or something.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast