Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Moving to Pittsburgh

Hey everyone, 3 hours ago I was informed that we are moving to Pittsburgh in August. At first I wasn't too sure what to think, but after a few hours passed I started to think of all the positive things.
    4 major sports teams in the state of PA. That is 4 more than we have in New Mexico. 4 distinct seasons. No more 60-80 mph windy spring seasons. Getting use to the snow will take some time though. Hopefully no more burrowing prairie dogs.

On the flip side I now have to consider my firearms. One of my wife's coworkers suggested I check out this page to gather some information. Are the areas of town I should stay away from when looking for a house to rent (we are only going to be in Pittsburgh for 10 months). I dont want to end up in a neighborhood of people that shun my family for our beliefs of exercising our 2nd amendment right and the ability to defend ourselves.

Schools are important to us too as I have a young child.

I have done some talking with LE and found that transportation isn't an issue. Many of the states that have passed recent legislation are on the north east coast.

I hope to be a contributing member to PAFOA soon.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Moving to Pittsburgh

There's always the risk of moving next to some raving anti-gun people, but the risk isn't that great, especially in the suburbs. If you want good schools, I'd stay away from the city itself and the districts in the older mill towns. Where will you be working, and how much house are you looking for?

We are a military family. My wife is actually the active duty member. I am prior military and currently inactive reserve. She is doing a 10 month EWI assignment with ALCOA. Our allotment for rent is $2,000/ month, however we are more interested in getting set up in a good neighborhood.

(Allegheny County)

For $2,000/mo, you can have my house and I'll sleep in the shed.

Welcome. It's really pretty hard to make suggestions without knowing what general area you'll be in.
    The closer you are to the city, (or wealthy areas in general) the better the odds that your neighbors will be Obama supporters.
    Actually, rich AND poor areas are filled with Obama supporters. Pittsburgh is a city of democrats, unfortunately.

Once here, if you want to go to the range, I'd be happy to take you as a guest.
    How's that for hospitality?

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    For $2,000/mo, you can have my house and I'll sleep in the shed.

Welcome. It's really pretty hard to make suggestions without knowing what general area you'll be in.
    The closer you are to the city, (or wealthy areas in general) the better the odds that your neighbors will be Obama supporters.
    Actually, rich AND poor areas are filled with Obama supporters. Pittsburgh is a city of democrats, unfortunately.

Once here, if you want to go to the range, I'd be happy to take you as a guest.
    How's that for hospitality?

I would love a trip to the range, I might even cover some of your ammo We live in Albuquerque, NM now, however I am originally from the south, so I will show you some of our hospitality.

One issue we seem to be running into is we have a large 100lb German Shepherd. We need to find a place that will accept him as well.

We do not need to live close to the city. I would prefer to live in one of the suburbs. What are the areas called around the city? Out here in Albuquerque there is only NE, NW, SE, and SW areas.

Schooling for my child is another thing to consider. I would like a good pre school area.

It is difficult to plan a move when you know nothing of an area you are moving to.

(Allegheny County)

Yes, here it's Pittsburgh "north, south, east, west".

If you're working in the north, I doubt you'd want to deal with traffic driving there from the south, or east.

You mentioned ALCOA. Will she be at the headquarters on the north shore?
    If so the north hills area makes sense. Nicer areas, plenty of shopping areas. More rural areas are just a short drive.

I'm partial to the south hills; bethel park, mt lebo, upper st. clair. If she is working at alcoa, it's most likely on the north shore so any of the burbs are good.

For $2k or less per month, you'll have no trouble finding a nice place. There's tons of info on pre-schools online.

Stay away from the chain places, like kindercare. We've used Westminister Presby Chuch off 19 and the teachers are great. Plus, if you end up here for good, USC is one of the top 10 districts in the nation.

If you're looking for work, I'm a recuiter for a mfg company that has a decent sized military population, even temp work.

As stated above, would be more than happy to take you to the range.

As far as the dog, it's going to be a case by case basis. But you'll most likely have better luck with a freestanding rental vs building.

Oh, another thing, watch out for the large Indian populations in the Greentree apartments. Nothing against them but I've seen them 10+ to a 2 bdrm apartment.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I've relo'd a bunch of people to the area for jobs here. Check out pittsburghtoday.com for a ton of stats on the region.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by blau iii View Post
    I'm partial to the south hills; bethel park, mt lebo, upper st. clair. If she is working at alcoa, it's most likely on the north shore so any of the burbs are good.

For $2k or less per month, you'll have no trouble finding a nice place. There's tons of info on pre-schools online.

Stay away from the chain places, like kindercare. We've used Westminister Presby Chuch off 19 and the teachers are great. Plus, if you end up here for good, USC is one of the top 10 districts in the nation.

If you're looking for work, I'm a recuiter for a mfg company that has a decent sized military population, even temp work.

As stated above, would be more than happy to take you to the range.

As far as the dog, it's going to be a case by case basis. But you'll most likely have better luck with a freestanding rental vs building.

Oh, another thing, watch out for the large Indian populations in the Greentree apartments. Nothing against them but I've seen them 10+ to a 2 bdrm apartment.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I've relo'd a bunch of people to the area for jobs here. Check out pittsburghtoday.com for a ton of stats on the region.

OMG that's hysterical.

When I met my wife, she was living in one of the apartment complexes over there and it's true! God knows what those people were doing in that apartment above us - 24/7. Never could keep track of how many of them lived there.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Good rentals may be hard to find. If you see something online that looks interesting, just give us a shout, and we can tell you about the area.

It sucks to commute to work through the tunnels, so if your wife is working at Alcoa on the North Shore, look to the North Hills, along I-279 and I-79, places like Franklin Park, McCandless, Ross Township, Wexford, even Cranberry (Butler County, lower taxes).

Then get some Stillers stuff, an' start workin' on yer accents so yinz don't talk like some kinda jagoffs. Yinz gotta know what shit means like jumbo, slippy, buggy, redd up, gumband n'at.
    Last edited by scruff; April 22nd, 2013 at 10:40 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I live in the East, but when we have a serious pet emergency, we travel to the north hills for emergency care.

PVSEC (Pittsburgh Veterinary Specialty & Emergency Center) - One seriously advanced emergency room and veterinary specialty clinic is located up there.

Just tossing it out there since you have the pooch.

We don't have human kids, so I have no schooling advice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast