Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Moving to Pittsburgh

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. EM View Post
    PVSEC is an excellent ER and specialty hospital. For regular care, you can check with http://www.vcahospitals.com/duncan-manor

The main vet is the father of one of PVSEC's former ER docs who Emptymag and I liked, as he always treated us well.
    Great, we use a VCA out here and have had nothing but wonderful things to say about them.

(Allegheny County)

Another note about the tunnels. You must slow down and keep your engine rev's low before entering the tunnels. This is a serious matter of public safety and must be observed at all times. Rapid movement and excessive engine noise will wake up the tunnel monster and it will eat everyone in the tunnel. So please slow down for safety.

On a more serious note you can find allot of information for new resident, especially what neighborhoods are a good fit for you here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/pittsburgh/

Welcome to pittsburgh.

P.S. PMSC is the best range in the area!
    Last edited by QuackXP; April 23rd, 2013 at 09:55 AM.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
    We definitely need a free standing house to rent. There is no way we can fit everything into an apartment building. So much time in the military and all the moves you collect a lot of crap. We might try to make a trip up there in June to take a look around.
    Take a look at Shaler and North to Gibsonia, West Deer if you looking on the North side.
    Shaler is suburb and not rural but a easier commute.

On a firearm topic, does PA require a CCW to transport firearms? When I am driving into PA my firearms will be locked in their cases and in my trailer, do I need anything special since I am moving into PA? Or am I ok with just my NM license?
    You need a LTCF to transport a loaded handgun, if it is locked up and not with ammo in same compartment your fine.

Quote Originally Posted by PaleDriver View Post

You need a LTCF to transport a loaded handgun, if it is locked up and not with ammo in same compartment your fine.
    Thank you. All the ammo is in cans and put in Rubbermaid bins. The firearms have trigger locks and case locks on them. They are all in the trailer together. If need be I can put the ammo bins in the bed of the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    Another note about the tunnels. You must slow down and keep your engine rev's low before entering the tunnels. This is a serious matter of public safety and must be observed at all times. Rapid movement and excessive engine noise will wake up the tunnel monster and it will eat everyone in the tunnel. So please slow down for safety.

On a more serious note you can find allot of information for new resident, especially what neighborhoods are a good fit for you here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/pittsburgh/

Welcome to pittsburgh.

P.S. PMSC is the best range in the area!
    Yes, beware the tunnel monsters.

Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

New monkey wrench. I was just informed that we are headed to Alcoa Defense somewhere in Alcoa Center, PA. A quick google search shows that this is east of the city and too far away from the townships of Cranberry, McCandless, and a few others that we were looking at.

So, back to square one. Which townships should I be looking at now knowing this new information and which ones should I steer far away from? I do have a LARGE dog and a young child.

I have book a trip to go out there next month to scope things out and hopefully sign a lease.

BTW, what the hell is with the alcohol laws out there. I was just informed it will be mighty hard to bring my wine collection into the state. Not too mention that PA doesn't allow shipments from 3rd party vendors. Hmmmm.

(Allegheny County)

New monkey wrench. I was just informed that we are headed to Alcoa Defense somewhere in Alcoa Center, PA. A quick google search shows that this is east of the city and too far away from the townships of Cranberry, McCandless, and a few others that we were looking at.

So, back to square one. Which townships should I be looking at now knowing this new information and which ones should I steer far away from? I do have a LARGE dog and a young child.

I have book a trip to go out there next month to scope things out and hopefully sign a lease.

BTW, what the hell is with the alcohol laws out there. I was just informed it will be mighty hard to bring my wine collection into the state. Not too mention that PA doesn't allow shipments from 3rd party vendors. Hmmmm.

I Googled it, and it looks like the Alcoa location you mention is in New Kensington.

Well, Murrysville and Plum are generally nice areas as near as I can tell.

You'd be closer to PMSC. (gun club)
    I'll let someone else comment on the stupid liquor laws.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Thanks for all the help guys and gals. We visit Pittsburgh a few weeks ago and found a place in Fox Chapel. We took care of my child's school and found a way to get my wine delivered. We should be there soon. I look forward to getting to the range with you all

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for all the help guys and gals. We visit Pittsburgh a few weeks ago and found a place in Fox Chapel. We took care of my child's school and found a way to get my wine delivered. We should be there soon. I look forward to getting to the range with you all
    Good deal, I live pretty close to there, the pmsc group shoot is in Aug. if you want to check out that club or let me know if you want to check out Rosedale that is just up 28 by Harmar.
    I am a member at Rosedale and plan to join PMSC soon as well, both have their +'s

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123