Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Re: I Shot My Hangun on a friends property and the cops came.. I have questions.

Quote Originally Posted by bob308 View Post
    if they have been shooting on that farm for 22 years then they are grandfathered in as a shooting range and can not be stopped by a later law.

did anyone new move in lately? that could be the problem.
    Is it a shooting range or are they simply shooting on their property?

Also, shooting a shotgun a couple of times a year is much different that shooting pistols or rifles.

Reading the initial post, the part where the police came from the direction that they were shooting at, it appears that their range may not have been that safe. At least they did not have a complete understanding of what was behind the area they were shooting toward.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Bucks County)

Default Re: I Shot My Hangun on a friends property and the cops came.. I have questions.

From another direction...Did the OP state that the LEOs were coming from the hill they were shooting towards? Did i read that right?

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill67 View Post
    From another direction...Did the OP state that the LEOs were coming from the hill they were shooting towards? Did i read that right?
    Yep, sounds like a complete failure on the OP and his friend towards gun safety.

"So we are looking up the mountainside we were shooting into and there are three cops coming down at us with weapons drawn. to our right the cop that gets out of the car has an ar15 assault rifle pointed 6-8 inches from us"
    Last edited by hzox221; April 21st, 2013 at 01:08 PM.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Allegheny County)

Seems to me that running down a hill that is being used as a backstop is a pretty big fail

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I saw that and forgot to mention it. Rep sent.
    Thanks...Once I didn't see an ord. on firearm usage, I went for the noise ord. My ex-wife's family live on a farm in a township in Ohio. We were out back shooting one day and were met by 4 law enforcement officers because their neighbor across the street, who recently moved in and didn't know the local laws, called them on us. The police officer, a county deputy, warned us that since the call wasn't about the new noise ord., that he wouldn't even give us a warning. Two months later, after having word get out to many of these farmers about the new ord., it was removed from the books.
    "A free people ought to be armed."--George Washington

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by hzox221 View Post
    § 5505. Public drunkenness and similar misconduct.

A person is guilty of a summary offense if he appears in any public place manifestly under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance, as defined in the act of April 14, 1972 (P.L.233, No.64), known as The Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act, except those taken pursuant to the lawful order of a practitioner, as defined in The Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act, to the degree that he may endanger himself or other persons or property, or annoy persons in his vicinity. A person convicted of violating this section may be sentenced to pay a fine of not more than $500 for the first violation and not more than $1,000 for the second and each subsequent violation.

(June 18, 1999, P.L.67, No.8, eff. 60 days; Oct. 25, 2012, P.L.1663, No.205, eff. 60 days)
    Except they're on their private property. So this doesn't seem to apply.

Yep, sounds like a complete failure on the OP and his friend towards gun safety.

"So we are looking up the mountainside we were shooting into and there are three cops coming down at us with weapons drawn. to our right the cop that gets out of the car has an ar15 assault rifle pointed 6-8 inches from us"
    OP said "we look behind us down the hill at his driveway and there is 2 cops cars racing up it..". So OP was not shooting towards the police. Otherwise, police would have return fire already.

(Montgomery County)

Exclamation Re: I Shot My Hangun on a friends property and the cops came.. I have questions.

[QUOTE=hzox221;2378812]Is it a shooting range or are they simply shooting on their property?

Also, shooting a shotgun a couple of times a year is much different that shooting pistols or rifles.

Reading the initial post, the part where the police came from the direction that they were shooting at, it appears that their range may not have been that safe.

Well someone said something about if your allowed to have a shotgun or rifle in a certain area then it is ok to have a handgun there too... also the range was plenty safe.. we were shooting into a slope and we were 200-250 yards (900 feet) from the peak of that slope shooting strait into a phonebook and some cans with dirt behind it....

to answer some other peoples questions...

we didnt receive any citations fines or warnings... the cop all but said that we werent in the wrong just dont do it kinda thing..

ive had some people say that an ordinance may be true for not shooting handguns in a providence.. but the state law supercedes local laws...

(Erie County)

Drinking the shooting firearms is a dangerous practice.

It seems reasonable that one drinking their shooting firearm should not only be arrested but institutionalized as well, providing they survive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Monroe County)

It's funny the first impulse you guys had were to hide your guns.

My neighbor is an ass, not anti-gun but calls 911 every time I shoot anyway. All the State Police do (if they show up) is ask if I have a safe back stop. Every time I see my neighbor I do the fingers on the forehead thing (devil) and stick my tongue out at him. This is been going on for a few decades \0/, I spend more time apologizing for my neighbor than anything else.

If I had a problem with local PD like this I would go and see the Police Chief, introduce myself make small talk and discuss it with him. Most are quite friendly and reasonable (that I have met).

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by bob308 View Post
    if they have been shooting on that farm for 22 years then they are grandfathered in as a shooting range and can not be stopped by a later law.

did anyone new move in lately? that could be the problem.
    Would you mind posting some concrete proof that this is true. It would help anyone in a similier situation.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast