Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Cool One firearm a month help fight crime? I dont think so!!!!!!!!!

I was reading about Mayor Street of Philadelphia making laws that enable people to only purchase one firearm a month. The arguement is that it will help lower crime from some small amount of people who buy handguns in bulk and sell them on the street of the city. I know that this will not help lower crime and I am sure that if such legislation was ever enacted it would do nothing more than to help attack the majority of the law abiding citizens. i believe that people should not have to live in a world of fear of being shot, But taking away the right and privileges of good citizens will do nothing more than to piss off gun owners and not help combat crime we are not the problem!!!! Unforunately, I believe that people will continue to murder people no matter how much you establish laws to attack Liecensed dealers. Criminals will continue to finds illegal weapons! I also believe that this will start a slippery slope in which more strict laws will be enacted until we have laws like in California. New Jersy or New york. And by the way, they have strict laws and still have high crimes rates (go figure). What do you guys out there think about this subject??

(Berks County)

Default Re: One firearm a month help fight crime? I dont think so!!!!!!!!!

Pa. law would have to change in order to allow phila to create laws that differ from the state so I doubt that anything like that could fly.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    Pa. law would have to change in order to allow phila to create laws that differ from the state so I doubt that anything like that could fly.
    We've already confirmed Philly does as it wishes.

I've debated this issue, and my conclusion is this: Limiting millions of Pennsylvanians to one firearm in any 60 day period so that a few dozen or a few hundred Straw Purchasers are inconvenienced, makes as much sense as letting the air out of everybody's tires every Saturday night to try to reduce drive-by shootings.

The proposed state-wide law is a 60 day period, since you can't buy a firearm unless at least 30 days have elapsed since your last purchase, and then you'll need to wait another 30 days after this one.

Straw Purchasers who buy in bulk for resale will simply employ more cut-outs to do their buying; or they will impersonate you and me though increased identity theft; or they will steal from gun shops or UPS delivery vans; or they will simply have cheap guns made in garages, and if they do they sure won't be building nice Glocks and SIGs, they'll make MAC and Sten submachine guns.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaII5 View Post
    We've already confirmed Philly does as it wishes.
    This is only because no one has taken them to task on the issues where they do break the law. If Philly were to pass a law limiting purchases, it would only hold up as long as no one challenged it. The problem is finding someone with the money and the principles to take them to court.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    This is only because no one has taken them to task on the issues where they do break the law. If Philly were to pass a law limiting purchases, it would only hold up as long as no one challenged it. The problem is finding someone with the money and the principles to take them to court.
    Cheaperthandirt still forbids the sale of high cap magazines to philladelphia. Rolling my eyes!

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by exceltoexcel View Post
    Cheaperthandirt still forbids the sale of high cap magazines to philladelphia. Rolling my eyes!
    I've seen that from a couple different places other than cheaperthandirt. Still don't understand how that even came up. Maybe the mayor called them up and asked.

Every year in Erie we have operation: hammer. PSP comes in and use their radar guns to tag people and then radio to the city/township police to pull them over. Every year the same lawyer is on TV saying if you get pulled over to call him and he will fight/win because it clearly states municipalities cannot use / use information of radar guns or something to that effect. But the lawyer wants $700 to take the case, and no one ever calls. Although I don't remember it going on last year, though I didn't pay any attention.

Are there even gun shops left in the city? Figured the city would have found a way to get rid of them, illegally of course.

(Montgomery County)

HUH, since you know that information why do you even need a lawyer? I'd fight it myself and that time I'd go all the way instead of taking the easy plead.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by exceltoexcel View Post
    HUH, since you know that information why do you even need a lawyer? I'd fight it myself and that time I'd go all the way instead of taking the easy plead.
    If your talking about the PSP thing we have/used to have here in Erie. I don't know, no one ever bothered to.

But as to the Philly law, it would be alot more complicated. You aren't going to be charged with violating the law since its a preventative law and therefore you can't break it. So it isn't a matter of going to court saying this violates the UFA.....

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    The problem is finding someone with the money and the principles to take them to court.
    The N.R.A. specializes in this sort of thing..