Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default AK Gas Block Question

I'm contemplating building a "non-traditional" AKM style rifle, and I rather like the looks of those gas blocks that have the sights integrated. However, none of the gas block sight combos that I've found thusfar have a bayonet / accessory lug on them. Does such a thing exist? I have this foggy recollection of seeing a picture of one in the ak pictures thread on this forum, but I cannot seem to find it (and I have a sneaky suspicion that the item was a custom fabrication). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: AK Gas Block Question

the gasblock/sight combos dont come "factory" with a bayonet lug because it would require a tantal style muzzle devise to use a bayonet. or you could use a psl bayonet lug (seperate from front sight and gasblock) in combo with the fsb/gasblock if you wanted to use a bayonet.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by NomadShadow View Post
    I'm contemplating building a "non-traditional" AKM style rifle, and I rather like the looks of those gas blocks that have the sights integrated. However, none of the gas block sight combos that I've found thusfar have a bayonet / accessory lug on them. Does such a thing exist? I have this foggy recollection of seeing a picture of one in the ak pictures thread on this forum, but I cannot seem to find it (and I have a sneaky suspicion that the item was a custom fabrication). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Something to think about... Would that shorten your sight radius?

(Delaware County)

I was kinda thinking about doing something like the image i'm linking to below, with the barrel sticking out the front a ways. That way everything would be properly positioned for the bayo. (there is still the pretense that this is one of those dangerous "military style rifles" that people keep going on about, no reason not to put a sticker on the front ;-P )
    http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/1049/romy1.jpg

As far as the sight radius goes, it would shorten it. However, I was thinking about trying to put on one of those Bulgarian suchka style hinged top covers with the peep sight half way down the cover or maybe one of those beryl / krebs custom style rails that fit over the top cover and put a peep sight over the tang. Honestly the whole point of this so-far hypothetical AKM style rifle is just to be different (it's a hipster) ;-)
    Last edited by NomadShadow; April 19th, 2013 at 09:40 PM.

(Bucks County)

why not use a galil or krink rear cover? you could cut and weld the front sight onto the gasblock. ive done a couple. if you want pics of my conversions for insperation, pm me

You can do it like the one in the pic but you will still be limited on what muzzle brake you use to fit an unmoddified bayonet

(Bucks County)