Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default response from Mike Fitzpatrick...

funny how he waited till AFTER the the Senate voted the Toomey-Manchin crap down. i sent letters WEEKS ago and he's just replying now. conveniently...

Dear 03SVTCobra,

Thank you for contacting me regarding your opposition to new gun control measures. I appreciate learning your views on this issue and welcome the opportunity to respond.

On December 14, 2012, our nation experienced an unspeakable tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut. Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims of this terrible tragedy and with their families.

As we continue to mourn we should also consider how we can prevent such events in the future. In the coming weeks, I look forward to working with members of both parties as we consider ways to prevent these terrible crimes. We need to take a deliberate, bipartisan approach and investigate each and every possible option to keep our children safe.

As part of this approach, I believe that we must insist upon a zero tolerance policy with regard to the sale of guns to violent criminals and the mentally unstable. We also need to continue to support local law enforcement efforts to crack down on illegal sales and the illegal use of firearms while respecting the constitutional rights of law abiding, responsible gun owners.

The President's solution is to ban all citizens from being able to purchase some guns. A more effective approach would be to ban criminals and the mentally ill from being able to purchase any guns. We should look for ways to strengthen our current laws, and give law enforcement the tools they need to work to prevent gun violence in the future.

In addition, it is clear that we need to take a broader look at our culture and society's attitudes towards mental health. Our nation has borne witness to the unimaginable acts of violence that truly deranged individuals are capable of inflicting. We must examine all the factors that lead a mentally unstable individual to the point of violence and work to prevent it.

The tragedy in Newtown is a moment for self-reflection throughout our country. We should be examining laws and policies that can demonstrably prevent these acts from happening. As we consider all options, we cannot allow ourselves to be lulled into a false sense of security by assuming that violent, deranged people will abide by the law. The factors that lead to violence are many, and it will require a comprehensive approach to prevent them. In doing so, we must never lose sight of a law abiding citizens' constitutional right to bear arms, and always remember to respect and preserve the 2nd Amendment.

Again, thank you for contacting me. If you have further questions, or need assistance in another matter, please call my office at 202-225-4276.

Sincerely,

Mike Fitzpatrick
    Member of Congress

(Bucks County)

Default Re: response from Mike Fitzpatrick...

Yeah. That was spot on. No backbone.