Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Shooting a heavy trigger DA revolver to improve trigger control

I have heard one of the best ways to improve trigger control is to train with a heavy trigger pull on a DA revolver. The theory being if you can control such a heavy and long trigger on that type of firearm, controlling the trigger on a SA or striker fired firearm will be much easier.

I have a Colt Lawman MK III. It's a gift from my grandfather and .357/.38 is is a bit expensive vs semi-auto calibers. Also being mostly a semi-auto shooter it does not see much range use.

But I'm going to start reloading soon so I can shoot this much cheaper, especially with cast target bullets. I've thought about using it more for trigger control training.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Shooting a heavy trigger DA revolver to improve trigger control

Some practice with DA will contribute to improved manipulation of SA. However, IMHO it's limited. The biggest beneift you get from practicing with a DA pistol is going to be on DA pistols. What I gleaned from working with DA's is the need to slow down (painfully slow) the trigger pull so as to not pull the muzzle off target. After you master that you can start to increase the speed you pull the trigger. Try some bulls-eye shooting with a DA revolver (with one hand) and you'll quickly understand what I mean.
    Toujours prêt

(Westmoreland County)

The short answer is yes it will help. And I agree with what Hawk stated except for the fact that its benefit is somehow limited.

The whole point of trigger manipulation is founded upon the act of pressing the trigger without disturbing sight alignment.

Diligent practice with a DA revolver will enhance your ability to isolate trigger finger movement from any other unwanted hand or wrist movements.

It will not be time wasted. In fact, insofar as cost is concerned, dry practicing with the revolver using the "coin on the barrel" is an extremely economic way of getting trigger time on your Colt without the expense associated with live fire.

(Allegheny County)

Ive been shooting a fair amount of ball and dummy with a snub nosed revolver lately.

Makes my G17 feel like a finely tuned sniper rifle

Im not sure if we are communicating clearly, but where Hawk says "slow" my concentration is on one smooooooooooth pull, and fighting the urge to hesitate and "stage" the trigger. I just want that front sight (what little there is!) to sit locked in that rear notch through the full trigger pull.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    Ive been shooting a fair amount of ball and dummy with a snub nosed revolver lately.

Makes my G17 feel like a finely tuned sniper rifle

Im not sure if we are communicating clearly, but where Hawk says "slow" my concentration is on one smooooooooooth pull, and fighting the urge to hesitate and "stage" the trigger. I just want that front sight (what little there is!) to sit locked in that rear notch through the full trigger pull.
    Snub-nosed revolvers are a world of thier own. With full-sized revolvers that have decent triggers (a note on that below), "staging" the trigger is one of three (some people say four) forms of trigger pull that are perfectly acceptable - by which I mean they work well.

There are many who say "DON'T STAGE THE TRIGGER!" For the life of me I cannot see why not - even though I have been exposed to at least the more common theories. It takes practice, and decent gun, but staging is a useful tool.

BUT ... there are many revolvers out there with really crappy triggers. The newer "compact" models that have come out in the past three years or so are particularly bad. With some of them staging the trigger is just not going to work. By the time you get it locked up you will find you have already pulled through.

In my opnion, working a revolver trigger helps develop the strength and concentration to work any hand gun trigger.