Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Phil. Police tells man he can't OC in Phil.

Now, I know this video is a little old, but it's new enough. I was watching videos about OC encounters in PA and came across this one.

The guy is approached by a police officer (who looks more like a Nazi Officer) for OC'ing, and it ends up with the police officer telling the man that he HAS to conceal when carrying in Philadelphia. He was showing him where it says that on what looked to be like one of the pamphlets by PAOpenCarry. The part that bugs me is the guy accepts it and conceals his weapon and goes on his way.

We all know it's legal to OC in Philly with an LTCF, so what the hell is up with this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1YMgdphmwA

EDIT: I was reading more laws, and found what that police officer (or whatever he was) told the guy. And it puzzles me, because it can be interpreted differently.

Quote Originally Posted by 18 Pa.C.S. §6109. Licenses
    (a) Purpose of license.--A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle throughout this Commonwealth.
    Last edited by Anthony1911; April 17th, 2013 at 09:52 PM.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Phil. Police tells man he can't OC in Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1911 View Post
    Now, I know this video is a little old, but it's new enough. I was watching videos about OC encounters in PA and came across this one.

The guy is approached by a police officer (who looks more like a Nazi Officer) for OC'ing, and it ends up with the police officer telling the man that he HAS to conceal when carrying in Philadelphia. He was showing him where it says that on what looked to be like one of the pamphlets by PAOpenCarry. The part that bugs me is the guy accepts it and conceals his weapon and goes on his way.

We all know it's legal to OC in Philly with an LTCF, so what the hell is up with this video?

I couldn't make out what the cop was supposedly quoting but the cop was wrong, even two and a half years ago when the video was uploaded licensed OC was/is legal.

That said, the guy who was being harassed at one point said "I hope I'm not being arrested" that tells me he didn't want to push it. He complied so he could leave. Not everyone is willing to go the distance and get arrested and go to court when it comes to making a point.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Teal"]I couldn't make out what the cop was supposedly quoting but the cop was wrong, even two and a half years ago when the video was uploaded licensed OC was/is legal.
    I edited my post and quoted the statute the cop quoted.

I have a tool box. There's a hammer in there. The purpose of that hammer is to drive nails into wood. But having a hammer doesn't mean that I can no longer use a screwdriver.

Same with a driver's license, it allows me to operate a motor vehicle on public streets, something I couldn't do without it. But when I got that license, they let me keep my bicycle.

Open carry throughout Pennsylvania is legal. In Philadelphia, it's legal with an LTCF.

If you want to conceal your firearm in PA, you need an LTCF. If you want to possess a firearm on the streets or public property in Philly, you need an exception, such as possessing an LTCF, or going to the target range.

Just as going from your Center City home to the range does not entitle you to conceal the firearm on your person, so your reliance on possessing an LTCF doesn't obligate you to conceal.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Philadelphia County)

I like how the tall skinny SS reject kept saying "A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle throughout this Commonwealth.

Here's another video from the man's point of view:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hNXgpRvsZw

He said that he is aware your allowed to OC in Philthy, but he didn't want to argue and have to go to jail.
    Last edited by RebelRaider5; April 18th, 2013 at 01:28 PM.

(Northampton County)

I'd like to know what the cop handed him and what he read that made him give up so easily. Obviously the cop gave him something that satisfied the guy that he was in the wrong.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by KBoy420 View Post
    I'd like to know what the cop handed him and what he read that made him give up so easily. Obviously the cop gave him something that satisfied the guy that he was in the wrong.
    18 Pa.C.S. §6109. Licenses. Subsection (a).