Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Cleaning A New Gun

Cleaning a new gun, I started to use alcohol to get all the new from factory oil off of magazine and it seems to be like dulling the finish/bluing. Did I use something wrong or do something wrong? I thought rubbing alcohol to clean a new gun from its grease way okay? I am afraid now to clean the actial outside of the gun with it. Thoughts?
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Default Re: Cleaning A New Gun

The finishes used on a lot of gun parts, mags, frames, slides, etc, are designed to hold oil. They have a very dull, flat look when you remove the oil from this finish. Some of my 1911's are no shinier than common dirt when I clean them. A nice paint brush, re-oil and they have that nice, quick wax look, again.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Chester County)

Use a quality cleaner specifically designed for firearms, then a good gun oil. Your local gun shop will have a selection of both. I currently use products from M-Pro7, and am very satisfied.

http://www.mpro7.com/

(Lawrence County)

For sticky gunk I use Zippo lighter fluid. Great for washing out trigger groups (actually what Jewell recommends).

Lycanwhenyougottameltstuffthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Berks County)

I appreciate the responses. I have all the appropriate cleaners, etc. So, my question is twofold:

1. Cleaning magazines, I used the alcohol and it made them dull. Remember, these are brand new from the factory. I was under the impression I should clean them up before shooting. I know that after a while of shooting, I should clean up with say Hoppes or something like that. I assume no oil inside as oil and primers do not mix. Now, with all of that in mind, should I just use Hoppes to clean up new magazines inside and out and did I do anything bad by using alcohol?

2. For the gun, I am using Frog Lube, I know that's a whole other topic. Anyway, again, can I use alcohol to get off factory grease before I Froglube and will it (Alcohol) do any damage to finish (blued) or any other componentry. I don't want to screw anything up.

I appreciate all of the help.

(Lebanon County)

So if you are posting a question like this, it must mean you got something new: what did you get?
    Brian - US Navy Retired - If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

(Berks County)

Just getting around to cleaning up my Bersa. Finally getting it to the range. Now help me !!

(Lawrence County)

Using alcohol won't likely hurt anything. It will, however, strip all the protective film the oil provided. You need to re-oil everything. This includes a light coat on the inside of the mags and the springs. Mags collect moisture easily and can rust from the inside, out.

Lycanstartwipingthrope

(Berks County)

Okay, so mistake #1 obviously ha ha!. So, I will lightly coat with oil. So, in the future when I clean them up after a while of shooting, I assume clean them with Hoppes or whatever and light coat of oil?

I assume in the future for new magazines, don't do what I did? Someone got it in my mind that was the proper thing to do.

As far as new guns, I assume I should just wipe them down and apply the Froglube without using alcohol or anything to clean it prior? These are brand new. There is preservative on new firearms from my experience, what would you suggest to clean that off?

(Lawrence County)

Not really a mistake. Don't sweat this. I use the Zippo fluid the same way to wash out gunk. The only difference is that Zippo fluid will leave a slight wax residue. If new mags aren't gunked up, you can just lube them LIGHTLY and go.

Once the gun is lubed, and if you don't let it foul too badly, wiping it down with more oil should clean it. Hoppes solvent is for barrel fouling. I, personally, don't use solvents unless I need to remove excess copper or leading in the barrel.

Lycanquitworryingthrope

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast