Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (York County)

Arrow I’m Buying a Suppressor In May

After a long, LONG, LONG time (3 years) trying to decide which suppressor I should get for my M16A1, I finally made up my mind. And barring anything interesting I’ll be purchasing the suppressor (silencer to newbs and trolls) in early May.

My next suppressor is going to be a Tactical Innovations Tac16. I thought of several others, like Gem-Tech’s Halo or G5, or SWR’s Wolverine to name just two companies. But as I’ll be using supersonic ammo, the extra Db protection just isn’t worth the extra money. And because I don’t shoot on Auto all that much I don’t need a suppressor which would make Superman struggle to crunch either. And since the Tac16 is supposed to be Full Auto rated it doesn’t make much sense to buy much beyond its $495 base price.

I'll be getting the 2x2 pics done tomorrow, fingerprints Thursday. My budget says “OK to Buy” any time in May, but not before. So I’m only getting the paperwork started.

I figure I'll have the suppressor Transfered into my possesion sometime in July or so.

Stay tuned.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: I’m Buying a Suppressor In May

Quote Originally Posted by BrassPie View Post
    After a long, LONG, LONG time (3 years) trying to decide which suppressor I should get for my M16A1, I finally made up my mind. And barring anything interesting I’ll be purchasing the suppressor (silencer to newbs and trolls) in early May.

My next suppressor is going to be a Tactical Innovations Tac16. I thought of several others, like Gem-Tech’s Halo or G5, or SWR’s Wolverine to name just two companies. But as I’ll be using supersonic ammo, the extra Db protection just isn’t worth the extra money. And because I don’t shoot on Auto all that much I don’t need a suppressor which would make Superman struggle to crunch either. And since the Tac16 is supposed to be Full Auto rated it doesn’t make much sense to buy much beyond its $495 base price.

I'll be getting the 2x2 pics done tomorrow, fingerprints Thursday. My budget says “OK to Buy” any time in May, but not before. So I’m only getting the paperwork started.

I figure I'll have the suppressor Transfered into my possesion sometime in July or so.

Stay tuned.

Don't go with the tac16, get a proper suppressor. I was going to go with it but I got a aac m4-1000 and it is 10 times better. With spending money like that you want something that you won't want to sell in a month or two. I know its cheap but spend the extra hundred on the m4-1000.

(Berks County)

+1 on the AAC! I have a M4-2000. With cans you get what you pay for. Spend a few extra dollars and get one that will perform and last. I can shoot my can with full power ammo and no ears on and get no ringing.

IMHO stick with either AAC, AWC or SWR. Those are the top companies civilians can buy from.

(Montgomery County)

um, i don't know? i have a tac-16 and like it. i shot with a group of people a week or two ago and they all commented on how quiet it was compared to the brand x's that they heard. heck, i few even asked if i was using subsonic ammo because they thought it was so quite.

The only draw back of the tac-16 (to me) is that it is heavy--20+oz. I like the thread on can because i use it on one dedicated AR. If i were going to switch it around, i would have went for a quick detach can--but i didn't need it. i am in the market for another can and am looking at an aac ranger 2 and a gemtech m4-02. the reason for a different can is weight 16oz vs 20+. Plus i want to see if there is any sound difference between the "cheap" tac-16 and the name brand cans.

(Lebanon County)

SWR and AAC make good cans, and the others are correct about the TAC. I can sell you an SAS can for the same price or cheaper. I just tested the SAS against a M41000 and the YHM phantom. The SAS was the better can soundwise with the YHM comming in second. Check out his web site
    sas-llc.us he has video up of the 556 and 308 cans. Sometime you need to look outside the box to get you best bang for you buck... supressed armament systems Just 1 question, How can you be getting your paperwork done if you didnt buy it yet?
    Last edited by forceinPA; April 15th, 2008 at 10:49 PM. Reason: ?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by forceinPA View Post
    SWR and AAC make good cans, and the others are correct about the TAC. I can sell you an SAS can for the same price or cheaper. I just tested the SAS against a M41000 and the YHM phantom. The SAS was the better can soundwise with the YHM comming in second. Check out his web site
    sas-llc.us he has video up of the 556 and 308 cans. Sometime you need to look outside the box to get you best bang for you buck... supressed armament systems Just 1 question, How can you be getting your paperwork done if you didnt buy it yet?
    forceinPA, it sounds like you are a dealer? A lot of times dealers suggest what the stock. Do you stock or have you ever shot a TI can? Just wondering. Also, you state that the SAS can was quieter than the yhm and aac cans---what did they meter? Did you meter them or were you just using your calibrated ear? just trying to get an idea. Everyone hears a little different and it makes a difference where you are standing in relationship to the shot being fiired. With a meter, there are standards as to where you take the readings from so everything is consistant.

Thanks for your input. i'm not calling you out, i'm just trying to understand your testing methods and the cans you've shot and stock.

A lot of people bash the TI line because they are cheaper---but i find the bashers have never owned or heard them. I will say on the record that to my calibrated ears that the tac-65 is a little louder, bigger and heavier than my gemtech outback II. Like i said though, i don't own another .223 can to compare the tac-16 to. I was taking the word of the bystanders that the tac-16 was quieter than brand x's cans they have heard.

my $.02

If price is your main criteria, IIRC the AAC ranger & YHM phantom (5.56) are cheaper than the tac-16 (you can actually find the ymh for less than $400)

If you are going to go with the Tac-16 at the New (high) retail price, i'd suggest looking at one of the other brands in .308 just for the versatility.

The YHM Phantom 7.62 thread mount can be found for as low as $519

That is unless you have no .308 guns to suppress.
    No, not billet martini glasses... Baffles.... EVIL Baffles

(York County)

Post Re: I’m Buying a Suppressor In May

Quote Originally Posted by forceinPA View Post
    *snip*
    Just 1 question, How can you be getting your paperwork done if you didn’t buy it yet?
    I said I'm just starting it. This is going to be my 3rd suppressor to be Transferred. It's going to be quite a while before everything will fall into place. I just want to get things started.

Today I got the Passport pics done at a Ritz Camera store.
    $8.43 w/tax.
    I've looked better and I've looked worse.

Tomorrow I plan to get the fingerprints done. I also intend to find out what time the Sheriff's office is open. With luck the office is either open Saturday or late enough to go to them after Work. For the record I'm normally on the Night shift. But come Monday I'll be on Days.

(York County)

Thumbs down Re: I’m Buying a Suppressor In May

Quote Originally Posted by heavyt View Post
    Don't go with the tac16, get a proper suppressor. I was going to go with it but I got a aac m4-1000 and it is 10 times better. With spending money like that you want something that you won't want to sell in a month or two. I know its cheap but spend the extra hundred on the m4-1000.
    I already contemplated AAC suppressors.
    Rejected.

So sorry.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    um, i don't know? i have a tac-16 and like it. i shot with a group of people a week or two ago and they all commented on how quiet it was compared to the brand x's that they heard. heck, i few even asked if i was using subsonic ammo because they thought it was so quite.

The only draw back of the tac-16 (to me) is that it is heavy--20+oz. I like the thread on can because i use it on one dedicated AR. If i were going to switch it around, i would have went for a quick detach can--but i didn't need it. i am in the market for another can and am looking at an aac ranger 2 and a gemtech m4-02. the reason for a different can is weight 16oz vs 20+. Plus i want to see if there is any sound difference between the "cheap" tac-16 and the name brand cans.
    BINGO!

So what if the can is heavy? I’ll be either shooting from a bench or from the prone position. I occasionally consider ordering weights for the buttstock to help make for a better shooting platform.

I thought of Gem-Tech’s Halo (3rd place) because of its quick detach; I might also use it on my Bushmaster 11½ inch upper. But as the 11½ inch upper is extra noisy because it’s extra short its noise suppression wouldn’t be worthwhile. So why bother?

And from all the people who already have a Tac16, they already like it. So why spend extra money?
    And besides; the Fun Store already has a Tac16 in stock. Why make extra paperwork for them?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast