Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Would you choose a shield 9mm over a G19?

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    So the thought of a gov't 1911 IWB just makes you shudder, I guess?
    Like Sally sitting across from Harry.

(Dauphin County)

Yes, I see it's a necrothread. For years a G19 was my do-everything gun. When I started carrying regularly I found it heavy and awkward to conceal IWB. I'm fat with small hips so tightening my belt tends to push my pants down rather than keeping them up. An IWB holster makes the problem worse.

After a few years of carrying the 19 almost daily I bought a Shield and found it was a huge improvement. I don't feel like my pants are constantly in danger of falling down because of it. The 19 is more accurate and comfortable for range/target use, and if I thought I were facing an elevated threat level I might carry it for the extra capacity and recoil control, but I don't feel like I'm shortchanging myself by carrying the Shield daily. In fact I think I'm better off because I'm less likely to skip carrying it because "it's a short trip and that thing is annoying" as I was often tempted to do with the 19. Also I'm less concerned about obvious printing through my shirt with the Shield compared to the 19.

The safety on the Shield (on the version with it) is small and fiddly. For someone looking for a carry gun with a safety I might not recommend it. The trigger was reportedly not great when the Shield was introduced but I have a later revision with what is said to be a better trigger. I'm happy with it for what it is. I won't be winning any bulls-eye competitions with it but it's fine for a carry pistol.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Allegheny County)

My carry gun of choice for cooler weather (cover garment-- is the G19). I downsized from a G32 and G23 due to a hand injury making the additional recoil a bit bothersome.
    My carry gun of choice during warm weather is a Kahr P9 but the Covert model.
    It is almost identical in size to the 9mm Shield, of which I just purchased 2. One for my daughter and one for my son. (Wife didn't want one---Haven't turned her yet / work in prprgress).

I'll be shooting my daughters Shield and her LCP this afternoon. Might as well run the 2 carry guns as well.

Anyhow, here are a few size comparisions. G19 , Shield, LCP

As I said, the Shield and Kahr (Covert has a shorter grip than the P9)

and reversed.

Grip size varies a bit. Kahr and Shield pretty close. 19, Shield, Kahr and LCP

Shield covering G19.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Glock 19 75% of the time other 25% of the time it is NOT a Shield but my Glock 43 !
    This is the way I plan on going. I can comfortably conceal the G19 but figure a G43 could come in handy at times

(Bucks County)

Well...there's a Shield for that too......the .45.......and it rocks
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    Well...there's a Shield for that too......the .45.......and it rocks
    Yes it does.

(Allegheny County)

I originally posted NO - that I would not choose a Shield over a Glock 19. My primary reason being that I want my EDC gun to be a "real" size gun.

Well, since then I had about 10 months EDCing a Walther PPS M2 and now I am trying out a Glock 43 as my EDC gun (two months into the project so far).
    The thinness for IWB every day carry is just to perfect. I do love my Glock 19s, but I am starting to really like the 43; specially as a carry gun - not so much as a shooting gun, Yet.

Additionally, I am looking to install an aftermarket trigger in the 43, this will be the first after market trigger that I have ever installed in a duty/carry gun since I started carrying back in 85. But for now, more dry fire and range work with the 43.

I do have three friends that are now carrying Shield's (two of them switched to the Shield from the Glock 43). But another friend switched from the Shield to the Springfield XDs9, its great to have options...
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Northampton County)

I carry both. Depending on what I'm wearing, IWB is usually more comfortable with the Shield as others have mentioned. OWB, I prefer the G19. I can shoot both well, but honestly I prefer the Shield. In 9mm, it is nice to have the double stack capacity of the G19 though. I got a Remora holster for the Shield that I just tuck in my waistband. It has a rubber like grip surface that stays put, and it is soft so it is comfortable to wear.

(Allegheny County)

Yes. That's just crazy. I can't stand carrying my Colt Pony IWB any more - I can't imagine what size pants I'd need to upsize to in order to fit a 1911 or Glock plus a holster INSIDE my waistband. GAWD that would be uncomfortable.

I seriously doubt the Shield will be an IWB gun either, but I'll know when I get it.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Yes. That's just crazy. I can't stand carrying my Colt Pony IWB any more - I can't imagine what size pants I'd need to upsize to in order to fit a 1911 or Glock plus a holster INSIDE my waistband. GAWD that would be uncomfortable.

I seriously doubt the Shield will be an IWB gun either, but I'll know when I get it.
    I already did choose.
    I IWB my Shield all the time. I installed the belt clip so don't need a holster. Sometimes if I know I'm going to be spending a lot of time sitting I will wear it in a holster or just bring along a different gun...in a holster. My two other semi-regular carry guns are my 9x18 Radom P83 and a 357 Dan Wesson 15 revolver. The Dan Wesson is my trail gun. The P83 is single stack 8-shot just like the Shield.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast