Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Star BS9

(Cumberland County)

Default Star BS9

My "new to me" Star BS9 came in today. 1971 manufacture and sold as coming from " Mishteret Y’Israel, the Israeli Civilian Police in Jerusalem District ".
    Who knows, I always like picking up older guns with some history
    Another new addition to get to the range with !

"Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Star BS9

so the model BS is a model B, but with a magazine safety?

i have 2 model BMs. awesome. i have some random guy on Ebay making me some slim grips.

looks to be in nice condition, where'd you get it?

(Berks County)

Where did it come from?! Want one now!
    Emergency Medicine prevents natural selection

(Cumberland County)

Yes, the 'S' is for mag safety - not a fan of them but what the heck! Got it from Robertson Trading Post. Have purchased several guns from them - great guys. Pd $339 for this one
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Paine View Post
    so the model BS is a model B, but with a magazine safety?

i have 2 model BMs. awesome. i have some random guy on Ebay making me some slim grips.

looks to be in nice condition, where'd you get it?
    I have a BM too - like it, but can't get it to stop ftf every few rounds
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Northampton County)

That's in nice condition - I have dealt with Robertson's Trading numerous times I have never had any complaints or problems with anything that I bought from them. I have owned to of those in the past they are nice shooters.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

nice gun. i think the stars were underrated for years.

(Cumberland County)

Was able to get to the range today - very nice shooter! Shot a little low and left, but that's usually me with every gun I have until I get use to it - jerking or trigger finger issues If you are intersted in one, I would not hesitate to pick one up.
    If I want to carry, I'll now have to get use to a single action 1911 without a grip safety now - lol. Took me a while to get comfortable with cocked and locked with a grip safety, so will take a little bit of getting use to without one. Then again, not sure if I will use as a carry gun anyway - but I do like it.
    Anyone have any experience or hear of any issues with the Star B or BS as far as carrying cocked and locked?
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Jefferson County)

cruzans, You have a hellava nice collection.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    Was able to get to the range today - very nice shooter! Shot a little low and left, but that's usually me with every gun I have until I get use to it - jerking or trigger finger issues If you are intersted in one, I would not hesitate to pick one up.
    If I want to carry, I'll now have to get use to a single action 1911 without a grip safety now - lol. Took me a while to get comfortable with cocked and locked with a grip safety, so will take a little bit of getting use to without one. Then again, not sure if I will use as a carry gun anyway - but I do like it.
    Anyone have any experience or hear of any issues with the Star B or BS as far as carrying cocked and locked?
    funny, i was looking this up last week when pondering grip safeties.

(stolen from 'old fuff' at THR)
    Concerning the Star BM safety…

This will undoubtedly star a flame war, but the Star’s manual safety is far superior to the Browning/Colt’s design. In the 1911 pattern a lug on the safety lock (manual safety) blocks the nose of the sear into the hammer’s hooks. Thus the relatively fragile sear becomes a part of the safety system as well as for its obvious purpose. It also depends on a full set of hammer hooks as well as a sear nose with a minimal break away angle to insure its maximum reliability in the safety role. In this day and age when everyone wants and expects a crisp trigger pull of 4 pounds or less, a hammer/sear set that are still within original specifications are as scarce as hen’s teeth.

The Star is entirely different. The manual safety blocks the hammer, not the sear. The block is in the form of a substantial shaft that is supported on both sides of the hammer by the frame. When the safety is engaged the hammer is literally lifted off of the sear, and the sear plays no part in the safety function. Thus hammer hook/sear issues become moot so far as the safety is concerned. With this system a grip safety becomes superfluous, which is the reason Star didn’t incorporate one.

It should be noted that the Browning P-35 Hi-Power, which was probably the most widely distributed service pistol ever made, had the Browning 1911 style manual safety, but no grip safety. Even so, it has no history of accidental/unintentional discharges because of the lack of a grip safety.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast