Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9 mm...

(York County)

Default 9 mm...

For future research, I am open to suggestions and comments on a good 9mm handgun. I am looking at things like fun to shoot, accuracy, reliability, and if it is good for concealed carry, all the better... By the way, I picked up a ruger 22/45 Mark III with replaceable grips for my first firearm, and I love it! Am considering buying the majestic arms conversion kit for making the takedown easier, and bypassing the annoying magazine disconnect as well. Thanks for all the input on this purchase, can't wait to see your thoughts on the 9mm...

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android

(Northampton County)

Default Re: 9 mm...

Steel, plastic fantasic, full size, compact ... You stated for conceal carry but that can be done with many many options.

I would give a good look at the M&P line as they offer a full size and compact. Perhaps the Shield if you want something even smaller

There is also the XD/XDm line and of course Glocks to name some of the more "popular" items out right now

(Centre County)

Lightbulb Re: 9 mm...

Glock 19 and/or S&W M&P9c. Whichever fits your hand better.....

A lot of guns appropriate for carry are hard to find right now. Good luck out there. Don't get discouraged and make sure you get what you want....
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Schuylkill County)

Depends on what you want to spend. There's a post on here somewhere about the S&W sigma range test, they're really cheap and I understand they're that close to a glock that S&W was sued by them for patent infringement. In the $500ish region the two biggies are probably S&W M&P's and Glock. Ruger has the SR9 if you want to stick with the brand you started with. Then there's the Springfields, Sig Sauers, and so on down the line. Pick a day and just google all the gun shops in the area and drive around to them (if you can, seem to remember something about a wife and kid in a previous post ) Put as many in your hand that you can and see which feels "right" or best to you. You'll know it when it's "the one" for you. Search posts on here by plouffedaddy and watch his vids/read his reviews. It may help you get a handle on where you want to start looking. Hope this helps...
    Last edited by paptini; April 15th, 2013 at 06:00 PM. Reason: added text

Quote Originally Posted by FLICK View Post

A lot of guns appropriate for carry are hard to find right now. Good luck out there. Don't get discouraged and make sure you get what you want....
    ^^^^^^Yup!
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Bucks County)

Best advice is to hold 20 or 30 handguns, shoot 3-5 and pick which one you like the best.

Here is a list of some 9mm handguns suitable for CC off the top of my head:

Ruger LC9
    Any Kahr 9mm
    Glock 26 or 19
    Ruger SR9c
    S&W Shield
    Sig P250 or 290
    HK P30, USPc, P2000 or P2000sk

These are just a few of the popular models, there are many, many more to choose from that I didn't list. Search here, look at pictures and prices online, then head to your LGS and check them out in person. Once you narrow it down to a few choices, let us know and go rent them and shoot them.

(Bucks County)

The best 9mms for fun at the range are not necessarily the best for carry. GENERALLY speaking . . .

- the larger and heavier . . . the better for accurate target shooting. Longer barrel = longer sight radius = easier accuarcy. Heavier = more absorbed recoil = less perceived recoil = less muzzle flip. Larger pistols have larger mag capacities as well. So, target and home defense point more to a full size 9mm.

-the smaller, thinner, and lighter . . . the better for carry. Pistols small enough for pocket carry (eg Ruger LCP in 380 auto) may be 6+1 with heavy triggers and flattened sights to avoid issues on the draw. These pistols are short-radiused, "snappy", and (IMO) difficult to shoot well meaning less fun at the range. Pistols like the Shield are larger, those like the S&W M&P Compacts are larger still and progressively approach the characteristics of the FS versions.

By all means handle several and fire at least a few. Both tests are important because you may well find that the M&P 9mm FS feels best in your hand but the CZ 85B shoots better . . . like I did . . . causing me to own both But the Beretta also shoots well and is really sharp looking . . . uh, oh

GLHF !!
    Last edited by Twoboxer; April 15th, 2013 at 05:44 PM.

I would not buy one till you look at / hold a CZ75 compact / P01. Can be carried OWB very nicely. Accurate. Reliable. Great ergonomics. I also have an M&P Shield. If I had to have one, the CZ would be it. no brainer.

(Adams County)

look real hard at a browning hi-power. small enough to carry and big enough to shoot well.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by FLICK View Post

Having shot both the Glock 19 and S&W M&P9c a lot, I can say that I love shooting both, but the Glock 19 won because it feels slightly better in my hand then the M&P9c.

Both are fun at the range, you can shoot the Glock 19 (and probably the M&P9c as well) in IDPA if you ever get into the shooting sports. Both are great as concealed carry options.

I would definitely check these 2 models out.

AG

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast