Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: disqualification for firearms from the state of Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    I don't understand what you mean by this statement. An offence is either prohibiting or it is not.
    That would surely be so in the objective sense. But then, you've got the C & R clause. Could not a sheriff look at the specifics of a charge which is not prohibitive, and use their discretion to deny?

Another point is that maybe someone who has an issue with guns in general added that to the docket sheet.
    I wonder who the someone was. Ultimately, it is the sheriff that gets the last word, but he has to count on input from other sources. Could that little extra statement on the docket have been placed there by a judge or prosecutor? Not that they would ultimately sign the LTCF, but could it be intended for the sheriff to take a closer look at the specifics of a case, where harassment meant threatening with physical violence, and to consider "character and reputation" and "dangerous to public safety"?
    Last edited by CB57; May 4th, 2013 at 02:08 AM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by CB57 View Post
    That would surely be so in the objective sense. But then, you've got the C & R clause. Could not a sheriff look at the specifics of a charge which is not prohibitive, and use their discretion to deny?

I wonder who the someone was. Ultimately, it is the sheriff that gets the last word, but he has to count on input from other sources. Could that little extra statement on the docket have been placed there by a judge or prosecutor? Not that they would ultimately sign the LTCF, but could it be intended for the sheriff to take a closer look at the specifics of a case, where harassment meant threatening with physical violence, and to consider "character and reputation" and "dangerous to public safety"?
    The sheriff would be able to get the specifics of a case. He would know what the actual charges and the disposition are. If he sees something he should dig deeper.

My point is that if an offense is prohibiting the sheriff will know. Someone writing something like that on the docket sheet dosen't make it so. If it was a condition of a plea bargin or something like that I would understand.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by AFcomm49 View Post
    Just wanted to provide an update after my appeal. I went to court today and provided my current PA LTCF permit, a certified copy of my criminal records report from the PSP, and the letter from the PA sheriff stating he didn't revoke my permit nor does he have any new info giving reason to. The VA circuit court judge reversed the denial order and granted my CHP in VA. Great to hear those words.
    Thanks all for the info.
    Good you took the extra steps to get your CHP in VA.

Your OP was confusing, or you were confused, because what ever happened in '97 was not a prohibiting factor for an LTCF in PA, but was for a CHP in VA. The fact you showed the judge that the PA sheriff didn't take this as a prohibitor, persuaded the judge to disallow this one prohibitor for a CHP from VA.

Harassment by Communication M3 is what my attorney charged my Gay neighbor with in 1997.

There was no need to even mention that your neighbor was gay, and doubt you have a justification for the descriptor, while still making some convoluted point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post

There was no need to even mention that your neighbor was gay, and doubt you have a justification for the descriptor, while still making some convoluted point.
    I took another look at my post, and I can admit that in my brevity to spare people some painful to read details and keep it short, there are some people that may not easily pick up on the idea that his crime was Gay in nature, and was most threatening of violence, and most lewd and lascivious. While I surely do not expect the OP to share details regarding his Harassment by Communication case, I could easily see that there could be something about a case of that nature that would make a sheriff deny the LTCF. I'm going to allow that, in the OP's case, the sheriff did his research and did not feel a need to deny.

But I guess you didn't want to ask about my post first before reaching a wrong conclusion.

(Erie County)

But I guess you didn't want to ask about my post first before reaching a wrong conclusion.

Nope, the conclusion I understood from that post is your neighbor, being charged with harassment, received ARD which you thought was sad, WAS GAY, and your attorney was gay friendly. The M3 charge your GAY neighbor received is not prohibiting in PA. The M3 charge, in PA, against the OP was a prohibitor in VA. The OP was never prohibited in PA for an LTCF (outside of Phillie), so likewise, your GAY neighbor should not be prohibited in PA, as well, but in VA, the GAY neighbor would be prohibited. Sorry, your conclusion was wrong.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    Nope, the conclusion I understood from that post is your neighbor, being charged with harassment, received ARD which you thought was sad, WAS GAY, and your attorney was gay friendly. The M3 charge your GAY neighbor received is not prohibiting in PA. The M3 charge, in PA, against the OP was a prohibitor in VA. The OP was never prohibited in PA for an LTCF (outside of Phillie), so likewise, your GAY neighbor should not be prohibited in PA, as well, but in VA, the GAY neighbor would be prohibited. Sorry, your conclusion was wrong.
    How was my conclusion wrong?

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpan View Post
    Why do you feel that the OP's conviction was prohibiting in VA?
    The OP stated he was denied in VA for a conviction in PA.

So I recently applied for a VA concealed handgun permit and was just denied with the reason, “criminal record shows a disqualification for firearms from the state of Pennsylvania, the orig of which is unknown.”

How was my conclusion wrong?
    You thought I made a wrong conclusion, as you stated. Don't sweat it, it happens.

(Delaware County)

Congrats to the op for hanging in there and getting things straightened out.
    Keep a copy of the Judges decision in case it comes up on renewal.

Just wanted to provide an update after my appeal. I went to court today and provided my current PA LTCF permit, a certified copy of my criminal records report from the PSP, and the letter from the PA sheriff stating he didn't revoke my permit nor does he have any new info giving reason to. The VA circuit court judge reversed the denial order and granted my CHP in VA. Great to hear those words.
    Thanks all for the info.
    Congratulations. Well done.

(Monroe County)

Is "heterosexual" harassment any less harassing than "Gay" harassment? I don't get it. I would imagine that, in general, a woman would feel more threatened than a man

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast