Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Bucks County Courthouse

I've got jury duty next week. Has anyone with a LTCF been to the county courthouse lately? Will they store my carry pistol? I've heard that they're required to,does anyone know if that's true? Will they hassle me about it? Replies from anyone with first hand experience with the Bucks County Courthouse in Doylestown will be greatly appreciated!

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Bucks County Courthouse

Call to find out. Either the courthouse or the sheriff.
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Bucks County)

I didn't have any trouble when I went to get a marriage liscense a little over a year ago, but I have heard that others have had problems.

(Luzerne County)

They are indeed required by law (PA C.S. 18 §913(5)(e)) to provide storage facilities.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    I've heard that they're required to,does anyone know if that's true?
    It is indeed true:

Quote Originally Posted by PA Code, Title 18 §913(e)
    Facilities for checking firearms or other dangerous weapons.—Each county shall make available at or within the building containing a court facility by July 1, 2002, lockers or similar facilities at no charge or cost for the temporary checking of firearms by persons carrying firearms under section 6106(b) or 6109 or for the checking of other dangerous weapons that are not otherwise prohibited by law. Any individual checking a firearm, dangerous weapon or an item deemed to be a dangerous weapon at a court facility must be issued a receipt. Notice of the location of the facility shall be posted as required under subsection (d). (Chgd. by L.1999, Act 59, eff 2/15/00.)
    Will they hassle you about it? Possibly. It's happened before.

Just be calm and professional and tell the deputy BEFORE you go through the metal detector that you have a "sidearm that needs to be secured."

Avoid saying "gun" or "weapon".

Just my $0.02.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    I've got jury duty next week. Has anyone with a LTCF been to the county courthouse lately? Will they store my carry pistol? I've heard that they're required to,does anyone know if that's true? Will they hassle me about it? Replies from anyone with first hand experience with the Bucks County Courthouse in Doylestown will be greatly appreciated!
    They are required to store it, but may not.

I was at Bucks County Courthouse in Doylestown as recently as this past September -- 7 months ago. I was told I could not store my CCW gun there; it was for LE only. Since my friend had the errand there and I was just riding along, I didn't make a scene (also I didn't have a printout of the statute with me).

If you plan on bringing a CCW gun there, make sure to print out the statute.

(Bucks County)

Smile Re: Bucks County Courthouse

Solid advice,thanks everyone.

(Bucks County)

Called the Sherrif's Office today. I was told that I should simply inform security that I need to secure my firearm before passing through the metal detector. I should have asked a couple more questions so I'm going to call back in a few minutes. I did not inform the Deputy that I am a civilian and I forgot to ask for his name. Doh!!!

(Luzerne County)

I've been to a fair number of courthouses. I never call and ask. The are required by law to provide storage facilities to people legally carrying per 6106, 6109 and otherwise legal.

(e) Facilities for checking firearms or other dangerous weapons.--Each county shall make available at or within the building containing the court facility by July 1, 2002, lockers or similar facilities at no charge or cost for the temporary checking of firearms by persons carrying firearms under section 6106(b) or 6109 or for the checking of other dangerous weapons that are not otherwise prohibited by law.
    So far, so good. I was informed of the old "for LEO only" once at Luzerne Co courthouse. I informed the rent-a-guard that SS913 stipulated the lock boxes were there for people like ME.
    He then changed his story to they "preferred if I left the gun in my car"... Never had a problem after that.

Another situation I simply can not figure out why people insist on asking permission....? The oack boxes are there for YOU. Insist they let you use them.
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; April 18th, 2008 at 03:52 PM.

(Bucks County)

I have no intention whatsoever of asking for permission. It's just that I have personally experienced LEO's,District Justices,and so on giving out erroneous information on all aspects of PA firearms law. If the rent-a-cops give me any trouble I want to be able to say,"Deputy Soandso with the Sheriff's Office in this building says you're mistaken."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast