Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Troopers pulling over folks on way to rally

Along 78 and 22 this weekend, PA state troopers were pulling over dozens of people headed towards NJ all day long. We were pulled over while going under 60mph in the right lane.

The trooper asked where we were going and asked if there were any weapons in the car.

While pulled over I witnessed at least 8 others get pulled over.

The trooper then gave us a speeding ticket, despite the fact we were going 5 miles under the limit.

How is this not harassment?

(Adams County)

Default Re: Troopers pulling over folks on way to rally

Ridiculous! wouldn't want them out doing drug raids or anything that might actually help society.... Lets pick on the legal gun owners...Oh, yeah here's your ticket too!!

Speeding ticket for going less than posted speed?? What did he write it up as? Not obeying traffic devices/signs??

Sorry for you.

I saw the PSP caterpillar today. I didn't see any reason to suspect that they were stopping people for any reason other than speeding; in fact, a woman went screaming past me, tailgated a car in the passing lane despite there being nobody in the right lane, and I was pleased to see her snag the trooper waiting behind the overpass. And there were at least 7 more cars pulled over in the next 500 yards, not one of which had obvious pro-gun banners or flags or whatever.

If it weren't for Speedella Racer ahead of me, I suspect they may have taken issue with my rate of travel. Happily, the she-devil occupied the last of the waiting troopers.

I'm not a fan of traffic enforcement that focuses 100% on clocked speed, because what causes accidents is not hundreds of cars driving at 70 MPH. What gets people killed is tailgaters and lane-changers and people who risk your death because they were texting and didn't see their exit coming up.

But what I saw was an aggressive speeder pulled over.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

This is BS and the question as to why this was taking place needs to be answered !

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android
    People always ask me why i never smile.
    I TELL THEM IT'S BECAUSE MY CORPSE IS STILL BREATHING AND THEY DON'T FUCKING GET IT!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian View Post
    Along 78 and 22 this weekend, PA state troopers were pulling over dozens of people headed towards NJ all day long. We were pulled over while going under 60mph in the right lane.

The trooper asked where we were going and asked if there were any weapons in the car.

While pulled over I witnessed at least 8 others get pulled over.

The trooper then gave us a speeding ticket, despite the fact we were going 5 miles under the limit.

How is this not harassment?
    I call your story bullshit. What vehicle code section were you cited for violating? I don't doubt numerous troopers were out, but to infer they were just out looking to harass gun owners is just plain stupid.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson

(Luzerne County)

I remember hearing an announcement that 3/18 through 4/18 was a targeted aggressive driving enforcement operation. You probably got caught up in it purely by chance. I saw a similar operation in my area Easter Sunday.

Spanking you for five under max speed limit is a stretch. Now if you were five under the minimum posted limit I could see the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Square Bag View Post
    Spanking you for five under max speed limit is a stretch. Now if you were five under the minimum posted limit I could see the reason.
    I know I was 5 under because I was on cruise control going 60. Posted limit is 65.

I was given a ticket for 79 which is preposterous.

The whole process went as follows:

1) I got pulled over.
    2) Trooper sat in his vehicle for a good 5 minutes.
    3) Trooper comes up to my passenger side. I asked what was wrong. He asked where I was going. I told him I wasn't late or in a hurry if that's what he was concerned about. He asked if I had any weapons. Since we were going to NJ and I didn't have any in the car I answered truthfully: "No" despite the fact that he has no right to know.
    4) Trooper went back to his vehicle. He stayed there a good 15 minutes, I looked at the clock.
    5) Trooper came back and asked again if I had any weapons. I again said no. He then said he was giving me a ticket for speeding. I told him I was going 60 with cruise control on. I told him I could even show him my trip meter which showed top speed for the trip.
    6) He said he was giving me a ticket for 79mph and went through a spiel about having 10 days to mail in the ticket or they'll put a warrant out for my arrest. Essentially ignoring anything I was saying. He told me I could pull back onto the road and to "be careful".

There was no rhyme or reason to the cars they were pulling over. Middle lane, right lane, left lane, most speeding, but only just barely (e.g. 70mph). Some were clearly not.

WTF other reason could they possibly have for such haphazard behavior? None of the drivers I saw pulled over were driving aggressively. Only 1 car that was pulled over was speeding appreciably (I'd estimate 75-80). The rest were either not speeding at all or going only slightly over the limit.

So why were they doing that? Why did they ask me not once but twice about weapons in my car? Why did they care where I was going?

My phone had GPS on, I looked later and it confirmed exactly what my speedometer had said; 60mph. My trip indicator on the car said 60mph. So why pull me over?

Anyone have any other reason? A better reason? The only thing that makes any sense to me is the 2A rally.

(Bucks County)

I got stopped in Morristown,NJ on the way home from the shore a number of years back doing 55mph in a 55 limit, the officer said to me, "Do you know how fast you were going ?" I said "yeah, 55" to which he says "Well I clocked you on radar doing 70" & I said no way, 2nd patrol car showed up & they conversed a while then he came back & said "I'm giving you a warning this time but next time watch your speed". Maybe their radar was giving them false readings
    Jesus is Lord !

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    I got stopped in Morristown,NJ on the way home from the shore a number of years back doing 55mph in a 55 limit, the officer said to me, "Do you know how fast you were going ?" I said "yeah, 55" to which he says "Well I clocked you on radar doing 70" & I said no way, 2nd patrol car showed up & they conversed a while then he came back & said "I'm giving you a warning this time but next time watch your speed". Maybe their radar was giving them false readings
    that is true that radar isn't always accurate... a not so steady hand on a handheld unit can falisfy readings. i'd plead not guilty and show the evidence to the prosecutor (the cops dont have to show up in jersey just as philly traffic court)
    my goal: to get every good person in the philly region responsibly armed.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast