Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default My Daughter bought her first handgun today.

They say the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. Sometimes this is a good thing, other times, not so much. I started her out shooting at around five years old with a chipmunk .22 rifle I bought her. She always seemed to enjoy our time at the range. Although I never at any point pushed the hobby upon her. As she got older she expressed an interest in hunting and I bought her an adult sized Marlin .22 LR bolt action, Remington 870 youth model in 20 gauge and Marlin 336 .30-30. She hunted for a couple of years and socializing with her friends seemed to take priority as I expect happens with a lot of kids at that age.

Up to that point I always thought I had a good relationship with her. I was divorced from her mother but did my best to spend as much time with her as I could. Around this time she started getting into some trouble, her grades were slipping badly. I came down on her hard. Shortly thereafter she and her mother moved out of state. I had no contact with her for nearly 2 years.

My father and close friends assured me I was right to stand firm on my principles and told that she would be back some day. Sure enough, two years later while out fishing I got a phone call from a number I did not recognize. It was my daughter, she apologized for the past and asked if she could move in with me. It has taken a while to rebuild the trust. But I must say I am proud of my daughter, she has turned around her life. She is a hard working, productive member of our society. Earlier this year she turned 21 and surprised me by making her first firearm purchase, a Mossberg 12 gauge pumps. Today she took the next step and bought her first handgun. A Taurus PT 92 AF in 9mm.

Anyways, her and her new pistol.

Last edited by pennlineman; April 14th, 2013 at 12:45 AM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: My Daughter bought her first handgun today.

I wish you the best on your new journey with your daughter. As a father of 3 and the oldest (7 yrs old) being a girl I am terrified of the teen years . Don't doubt yourself , she came back to you . .. whats the saying.. If you love someone let them go, if they return they're forever yours? ps. I love her trigger control in the pic Good job Dad!

(Berks County)

I started out laughing when I read the thread title because I saw the pix of your toys on here (very impressive by the way). I was thinking - why would your girl have to buy a gun?

Anyway I quit laughing when I read the subject matter. Good for you Bro. Hope she enjoys shooting with you again as she had in the past.

I just sold my PT 92 which was in beautiful condition with close to 9400 rds since I bought it new 7 years ago. It was a great handgun with a lot of juice left to be squeezed out of it. Selling the PT 92 helped fund my most recent PT 1911. She should enjoy hers. It is one of the best shooting 9mm's out there.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Nice finger placement on the trigger, BTW. Cabela's jacket? She must have a little neck in her.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Lehigh County)

Good job Dad.
    Gun control is not about guns, it's about CONTROL

Brest story. Thanks sharing.

(Montgomery County)

Now that is what a fine young American looks like.

(Armstrong County)

I can relate to how proud you are! My oldest son's first purchase was P220 Equinox and my youngest was a G19. Sure are good looking, your daughter and the Taurus!
    The original point and click interface was a Colt Peacemaker!

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks for the nice words guys.

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Nice finger placement on the trigger, BTW. Cabela's jacket? She must have a little neck in her.
    A little, her favorite color is camouflage.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    I can relate to how proud you are! My oldest son's first purchase was P220 Equinox and my youngest was a G19. Sure are good looking, your daughter and the Taurus!
    Yeah, I had nothing to do with her renewed interest. She just accompanied me to the gun shop back in January for some reason. Out of the blue said she was going to buy a gun. The only criteria it had to meet was that it was camouflaged. We narrowed it down to either a Remington or Mossberg pump. I told her I liked the Remington's, so she bought the Mossberg.

Last month, same deal except a handgun this time since she just turned 21. She liked the Taurus because it was pretty, which it is. She asked my opinion. I said I'd spend a little more and buy a Beretta 92. She put the Taurus on layaway. I'm starting to see a trend here. I'm just glad everything has worked out, that was a rough few years back then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast