Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default ??? shoot first, carry later ???

Just wondering how many of you take a gun out of the box and shove it in your holster immediately? I've been seeing a number of ads of guns for sale listing never been fired but I've been carrying it for the last few months, or been in or on my nightstand etc, etc. Personally, I just don't think this is very smart, but maybe I am the minority. Curiosity led me to make this post and find out if that is the case.
    Last edited by paptini; April 14th, 2013 at 09:37 AM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: ??? shoot first, carry later ???

Quote Originally Posted by paptini View Post
    Just wondering how many of you take a gun out of the box and shove it in your holster immediately? I've been seeing a number of adds of guns for sale listing never been fired but I've been carrying it for the last few months, or been in or on my nightstand etc, etc. Personally, I just don't think this is very smart, but maybe I am the minority. Curiosity led me to make this post and find out if that is the case.
    depends on the gun. there are several gun makes that I will load up and carry right out of the box after a brief initial inspection but I still try to get them to the range within the next couple days.

(Franklin County)

Obviously not the ideal/recommended way to go about it, but it certainly doesn't rule out the possibility that it could be successfully deployed in self-defense.

I'd bet there are quite a few 'bedside guns' that had never been shot until the day they were brought to bear on a legitimate threat.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Jefferson County)

Revolvers, derringers, and other firearms that don't require the explosive action to cycle and reload the gun - yes.

Semi-auto - hell no. Some semi-auto's do need breaking-in or finding the right load or bullet profile to cycle properly.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

If you have no other possible gun to carry and you had no way of getting to the range first then yes. But only under those circumstances.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Blair County)

I have a friend that does. Myself, however, will never do that. I dont care what type of gun it is. I am not trusting my life to something that has never been used. I have seen to many guns come from factories that need some work on them right out the box. Heck there was even a thread on here that the a never fail glock needed to be fixed right out the box. I dont even carry a gun unless i have put at least the minimum of a couple hundred rounds through it. Thats just me. but i tend to go over the car before a long road trip.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I'd bet there are quite a few 'bedside guns' that had never been shot until the day they were brought to bear on a legitimate threat.
    Not a good time to find a major manufacturing defect, is it? And that's my point. I always run the suggested break in using all of the magazines to make sure of function.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by jmiro View Post
    Heck there was even a thread on here that the a never fail glock needed to be fixed right out the box.
    Which is why I stay away from Gen 4. Helps to watch and listen to the hustle and bustle with new things...they have had several known issues from get go.

I make sure anything I would use for personal defense operates like it should. With semi autos, I automatically do a deburr and feed ramp shine before even going to the range. I also make sure the mag followers go all the way to the top of the mag before I ever load them. Doing the 'hand rack and a movie' break in is the last thing I do before heading to the range. I run about 100 rounds at the range, half of them rapid fired. if I have no malfunctions and the brass gets spit in the right direction, then I figure that gun is good to go.

I realize Kimber and some others say 400 to 500 rds to break in a pistol. To me, that's hog wash. I'll do all that cycling crap in my recliner and just shoot 100 or so to be sure the extractor/ejector work right, the primers get ignited, and it feeds right. It doesn't take 500 rds to find that out, IMO. If I f... up, I only hold me responsible.

FWIW, I've been cut twice by new revolvers that were out of time (S&W .500 mag and Taurus Tracker .44 mag). If I got another new revolver, I'd be making sure it didn't shave bullets before I put it under my pillow. I doubt I'd have time to put on shooter's glasses if a bad guy came in my home. Oh yea, I'm not relying on any gun until i make sure it works, first.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Northampton County)

I personally like to have several hundred rounds through a new gun before trusting it. I like to run about 300-400 rds of practice ammo and 100-200 rds of what i expect to carry in it before i consider the gun good to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast