Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: ak-47 at public range in pa

Well, for the TECHNICAL bit...

An AK-47 is full auto, therefore illegal at the PA Public range - now an AK clone (wasr, etc) in semi-auto with 3 rounds in the mag, is totally fine.

A AK clone is legal providing there are only 3 rounds in the rifle and you are not shooting "armor piercing", "incindiary" or "multi projectile" ammo. Now, a standard (wolf) FMJ is not "armor piercing", "inciniary" or "multi projectile" but to the uneducated PA Game Commission officer they are. Be prepared for a lengthly discussion with him being right no matter how you try to prove it.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil but, because of the people who do nothing about them."
    - Albert Einstein

(Berks County)

Don't forget guys.......the AK is more dangerous because it looks more dangerous..........

As long as you only have three rounds loaded and shoot slow there should be no problems. If someone told you you can't use it there simply ask them to show you the rule/law stating so.

Personally I don't bother with public ranges because of those rules and the ignorant public. I'd rather pay a few $s a year and do what I please. Maybe you should find a good range near you.

West of the mountains, south of the lake, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay5oh View Post
    A AK clone is legal providing there are only 3 rounds in the rifle and you are not shooting "armor piercing", "incindiary" or "multi projectile" ammo. Now, a standard (wolf) FMJ is not "armor piercing", "inciniary" or "multi projectile" but to the uneducated PA Game Commission officer they are. Be prepared for a lengthly discussion with him being right no matter how you try to prove it.
    Newflash for you Jay... a lot of those "uneducated" PGC officers own AKs. PGC officers are mostly gun people, and are very familiar with most firearms and the ammunition used in them. I have seen uniformed PGC officers at NRA and Second Amendment functions. Ever see any other LEOs at one?

(Lebanon County)

how is it you can have five in the field, yet only three on the range?
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    how is it you can have five in the field, yet only three on the range?
    I really think it is intended to keep people from destroying backstops and ripping the range apart (the more time it takes to reload the less time you can be firing).

I went to the one on Rt100 on several different occasions and people had decided to shoot the wooden posts off instead of puttign up targets so you couldn't shoot the pistol targets or 50 yard targets... ruins the day pretty quick when there is no target at less then 100 yards for you to use

One of the DCNR guys started talking to me about my folding stock SKS and was very polite, I asked him how often they fix or replace the targets, he said they typically replace the white backing once a week during peek usage and the wood about every 2 weeks depending on when people decide to be stupid... and that is one of the lesser used ranges.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    I really think it is intended to keep people from destroying backstops and ripping the range apart (the more time it takes to reload the less time you can be firing).

I went to the one on Rt100 on several different occasions and people had decided to shoot the wooden posts off instead of puttign up targets so you couldn't shoot the pistol targets or 50 yard targets... ruins the day pretty quick when there is no target at less then 100 yards for you to use

One of the DCNR guys started talking to me about my folding stock SKS and was very polite, I asked him how often they fix or replace the targets, he said they typically replace the white backing once a week during peek usage and the wood about every 2 weeks depending on when people decide to be stupid... and that is one of the lesser used ranges.
    I'll buy that logic. I see the damage done at the private club I belong to, so makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Booner View Post
    Newflash for you Jay... a lot of those "uneducated" PGC officers own AKs. PGC officers are mostly gun people, and are very familiar with most firearms and the ammunition used in them. I have seen uniformed PGC officers at NRA and Second Amendment functions. Ever see any other LEOs at one?

Uneducated, uninformed....semantics. In the context I used it in they could be interchanged. If a PGC Officer does not know and will not listen to someone who knows, that a bullet covered in copper does not make it "armor piercing" he is uneducated and uninformed.

*My disclaimer for Mr.Booner:

I was not impling that all Game Commisssion Officers are uneducated, donut eating, harrass everyone for shooting a "non sporting" arm thugs.

Crawl back under your rock...
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil but, because of the people who do nothing about them."
    - Albert Einstein

(Allegheny County)

the range officer at the one near wexford is cool.

i haven't shot there in a while, but when i used to there were always a few ARs and AKs out there. no problem.

in all fairness to the PGC, before the 3 round rule, the backstop support posts used to get destroyed all the time. unfortunately, some of the people who shoot at the public ranges are real tools and ruin it for everyone else.

(Allegheny County)

My roomate and I bring our AR and AK to the range in Wexford most weekends. We've never had a problem. I also have never seen a game warden there (besides the range officer guy), but they wouldn't be a probem. As long as you obey the posted rules there won't be a problem.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast