Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Crawford County)

Default Re: Gas port location

Quote Originally Posted by justsayno View Post
    he gets it. Mostly woundering if anyone has pushed the envelope, with a 20 inches out drill area of a 24 inch barrel
    I'll post a update, from the hospital, or range.
    haha, maybe from both the range and the hospital . . . Question: where are you finding "un-drilled" barrels. I've been looking for one for a while to build a dedicated bolt action AR upper.

Make sure you find a gas tube long enough for however far out you are drilling the port. A tube longer than riffle length would obviously be a very non-standard part.

Quote Originally Posted by justsayno View Post

I'm sorry but this picture, shows the pistol, only within a few inches of the end.
    You do realize that you measure the gas system not relative to the end of the barrel, but from the chamber side, right? So a pistol length gas system isn't measured say 2" from the barrel, but say 6" from the chamber (just an example). So as I understand it, you're wanting to go even beyond a rifle length system towards the end of the barrel. If you were using a pistol length gas system, it would be the opposite, and closer to the chamber (further from the end of the barrel).

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    Before you jump the OP, he never stated 15 or 10 and COAL Is irrelevent in my book because actual OAL will vary by wich projectile he uses. Also olimpic arms already makes a bolt that fits the magnum brass (they are using wssm in ar15 platform) but none of this has anything to do with his question. To OP I agree with using a rifle length tube with adjustable gasblock unless you want to break ground and possibly lose a barrel in the process
    I wasn't trying to jump the OP, I was trying to chime in on something that may be completely irrelevant, and maybe even dangerous. You don't reload much, do you? You can say that COAL is irrelevant all you like, but that doesn't mean it's the case. Sure the COAL will vary depending on which projectile that you're using, but there is a point where you can't set the bullet back far enough to work. You can set bullets back so far, that you're actually starting into the ogive, and there's not enough neck tension to effectively hold the bullet, particularly in a semi auto with recoil. You can also set a bullet back so far that you're starting to really decrease the powder capacity of the cartridge, and then what's the point of using the parent case to begin with? You can actually set bullets so far back and compress loads enough that the internal ballistics will blow out the case webbing of the brass and cause failures. Either way, all of that starts to become a moot point as well. Sure there are bolts that can accommodate the WSM or WSSM brass, but that doesn't mean that the rest of the system can handle the pressures. Even in an AR-10, most people wouldn't want to run .300 winmag pressures through it, but the .300 WSM runs at even higher pressures. Sure 3,000 PSI is probably within the maximum limits of the design, but that doesn't mean it's smart, and there's also people that load beyond those limits also. When you throw in very compressed loads, and the internal ballistics that would accommodate a bullet set far that back, and you could easily exceed those pressures.

So while you may not think this has anything to do with the system, it very well may. The reason that I asked the OP exactly what they were wanting to do was because I didn't want to assume what they were doing. Nevertheless, I still have some ideas about what the OP is considering doing, and I wasn't the one that brought up the .300 WSM, the OP was. We all agree that the best approach is to use a rifle length system with an adjustable gas block. Most people can achieve results that are well within the shooter's capability. Either way, it doesn't mean that what I talked about was irrelevant. There are others that watch these threads, get ideas from these threads, etc. I didn't just post what I did for the benefit of the OP, but also for others that are reading. Either way, I wouldn't recommend for most people to tackle a homemade job of doing a .308 in even an AR-10 platform, even if you had the right bolt face, and then start playing with the gas length. Some of the references and questions that the OP have asked make it sound like it's not currently within the work that they should probably be doing. I don't say that out of disrespect, but out of concern for the OP and other members' safety. I fail to see how that's irrelevant or not important.

Actualy yes I do reload, and I load 300wsm. Just to clarify why I said that COAL is relitatively unimportant is we are talking about fitting the rounds in the mag yes a 300wsm is longer than a 308 by .06 but most 308 mags are around 2.90 wich leaves .03 clearance for the rounds depending on the projectile maybe more. so there is no need for deep seating of the projectiles. safty is up to each person who is building and or reloading. I do know there are ARs out there chambered in .510 reedwacker (300wsm case with a 50bmg projectile) Im not sure what the bolt thrust numbers are on it though, but there are programs out there to calucate weather or not the bolt will take the pressure. and for all we know the OP already has it all figured out.

Tomcat, so far, you are about the only one, I have confused.
    I was not trying to trick you or make you look silly.

Can we move on?
    I talk jibberoush. pay attention.

I will sum it up with . 3 boxes ate up. 300WSM Gas is ported like I said. Cant adjust it down too much, fat cartrige doesnt want to pop up and out, unless you let it get violent on carrage return.

Tom, thanks for the concerns. I understand your motives.
    Great post on the scope section. very informative.

There are some issues, to get fixed. Scope mount, muzzle brake. more rubber on the stock, more eye relief. some more rubber on the stock.
    I talk jibberoush. pay attention.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12