Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: AGI ???

(Adams County)

Question AGI ???

Looking for some opinions about American Gunsmithing Institute.

Is it worth it ?

Is it legit ?

Anyone here tried it ?

Looking to maybe get into the craft. I grew up doing wood working in my dads shop, worked in a machine shop for 6 years and now an industrial mechanic for 12yrs. I love the mechanics of firearms. Probably more than actually shooting them. I dont wanna be bustin my knuckles and body up the rest of my life. i wanna do something i love
    " they all fall to the hardball "

(Centre County)

Default Re: AGI ???

AGI probably has the some of best DVD's for gun repair out there. If you're really serious about it, I would maybe look at going to a hands on school for gunsmithing. However, with your background, the AGI course may be all that you need since you are familiar with woodworking and machine shop equipment.

On that note, there is also the American Gunsmithing Association and its magazine. It is full of info for gunsmithing many different guns and other hints and tips every month a long with Q's & A's from gunsmiths around the US.

Now, all that said, here is the standard line:

How do you make a million dollars being a gunsmith? Start with 2 million dollars. Seriously, you won't make a lot of money starting out, but if you grow the business and handle other gun related things you can make a decent living. The biggest expense is furnishing the business (lathe, milling machine, drill press, specialized gun tools, bluing setup, etc., etc., etc.)

You can also start small and grow the business over time, that way your main job pays the bills and you build a every increasing clientel over the years until you can afford to have the smith business pay the bills.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Adams County)

thanks alot for the reply. im not really looking at opening my own business at first but maybe working for someone. i think i might look into AGI

(Berks County)

AGI probably has the some of best DVD's for gun repair out there.
    I agree, I have a few, lots of tips and how to's in them. I would look at E-bay for used copies though, pick up one or two on some of the subjects that interest you and see for yourself. They usually aren't very expensive used.

there is also the American Gunsmithing Association and its magazine.
    I have been a member of the AGA for 15 years or so now, the monthly magazine is pretty good. I have binders full of them from over the years. Lots of great info from all aspects of gunsmithing.

Note, I am NOT a gunsmith and do not have an FFL, my interest is strictly my own hobby. I just love to tinker. I have built rifles, rebuilt them, refinished wood, parkerized, re-barreled and a ton of other fun things. Actual business end stuff, I can't help you on.

How do you make a million dollars being a gunsmith? Start with 2 million dollars.
    I have heard that a few times, it is a tough job and market to get into. You have to be good, and it can take a long time to build a reputation. I would recommend a specialized area myself, AR smiths are a dime a dozen...Fulton Armory and a few others have a great rep with a lot of the Garand/M1A other military arms servicing. So it would be hard and you would have to be very good in order to get into those areas.

Areas that seem to be lacking lately are smiths who specialize in revolvers and other handguns, shotguns, rifle accurizing and things like that. Refinishing is a pain in the ass and while you should know how to do it, refinishing (parking, bluing and other guncoating) is very labor/time intensive. You will have to have a good crew and equipment to keep the turnaround times way down in order to make a good buck at it.

Just my .02....good luck.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Adams County)

thanks 762xIan. lots of good points there. im gonna check out ebay for some back issues from AGA and dvds from AGI.

(Delaware County)

Have you ordered the free DVD? Definitely do that before buying anything from them.

I'm thinking about buying the lathe and milling machine DVDs, but I'm not sure that I need or want the giant package deals. You can find so much stuff online, and on Youtube, that paying thousands for all that AGI material almost seems silly. If you can't figure out a Glock, you probably won't succeed as a gunsmith.

I think this thought was further reinforced when I found this:

Basically it's about how the AGI method for installing AK front trunnion rivets is all wrong.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Lackawanna County)

The AGI videos are very good, especially for particular weapons/platforms, but they can get pricey.

Penn Foster (out of Scranton) has a decent regionally-accredited distance-ed program, but you still need some hands-on to really put it all together.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."