Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Anyone familiar with the Arisaka Rifle???

I'm currently restoring a type 99 Japanese Arisaka. There was an aftermarket peep sight installed inwhich the stock was cut away. Does anyone know what type of wood was used on the Arisaka stocks??? I would like to restore with rifle with all original parts/materials if possible.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Anyone familiar with the Arisaka Rifle???

The Arisaka stock is made of either beech, walnut, or katsura.

The finish is something called Urushi, which is derived from the sap of a kind of Sumac tree; the poison-variety sumac. Try to avoid sanding this finish as it may lead to you having a reaction to it, and the airborne dust can give you a poison ivy-like reaction in your throat and lungs.

(Bucks County)

My fathers was walnut with some tacky finish. Thanks for the info on what made the finish that way.

"The best way to end up mediocre is via tiny compromises."

Quote Originally Posted by Tacmanxd View Post
    I'm currently restoring a type 99 Japanese Arisaka. There was an aftermarket peep sight installed inwhich the stock was cut away. Does anyone know what type of wood was used on the Arisaka stocks??? I would like to restore with rifle with all original parts/materials if possible.
    Numrich Arms has replica Japanese stocks for these. If you want an unpatched set to replace yours.
    They cost about $140 for the complete set (stock and hand guard), but, if your desire is military correct, with no "patch work" Then I'd look into a set.
    These are NOT origanal military "take offs", but are replicas. made of teak wood.