Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Question about local gun club and my 18 yr old son who is also a member

First, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum or the questions make me look uninformed, I read the laws and just want to double check.

My son and I joined a local rod and gun club and he is recently 18. He would like to take one of his friends (19) to the club and I explained the policy for the club is visit once then join for guests. My son has gone with me several times and he is proficient at safely handling my rifles and pistols. Is it legal for him to borrow one of my rifles and take his friend to the club? I told him I'm not sure it's a good idea unless he were to buy his own rifle and it would be in his name. I also believe he can't buy a pistol in his name till he is 21, is that correct?

I think regardless whether it's legal for him to borrow one of my rifles or not, I will be there if his friend wants to visit the club and then shoot one of my weapons.

Thanks for any advice.

Default Re: Question about local gun club and my 18 yr old son who is also a member

Quote Originally Posted by tcape1961 View Post
    First, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum or the questions make me look uninformed, I read the laws and just want to double check.

My son and I joined a local rod and gun club and he is recently 18. He would like to take one of his friends (19) to the club and I explained the policy for the club is visit once then join for guests. My son has gone with me several times and he is proficient at safely handling my rifles and pistols. Is it legal for him to borrow one of my rifles and take his friend to the club? I told him I'm not sure it's a good idea unless he were to buy his own rifle and it would be in his name. I also believe he can't buy a pistol in his name till he is 21, is that correct?

I think regardless whether it's legal for him to borrow one of my rifles or not, I will be there if his friend wants to visit the club and then shoot one of my weapons.

Thanks for any advice.
    Yes it is legal to borrow one of your rifles for the range. Just make sure he keeps it unloaded and the ammo in a seperate compartment or container during transport. No he cannot buy a hangun until he is 21.

(Mifflin County)

Default Re: Question about local gun club and my 18 yr old son who is also a member

Quote Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
    Yes it is legal to borrow one of your rifles for the range. Just make sure he keeps it unloaded and the ammo in a seperate compartment or container during transport. No he cannot buy a hangun until he is 21.
    Actually he can, if you can find a sheriff willing to do the transfer. Or, he could purchase from a parent/grandparent and not need a transfer. He just can't purchase from/through an FFL until he turns 21.