Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Small amount of marijuana and paraphernalia conviction - May I own/purchas a firearm?

12 years ago while I was in college I got a marijuana and paraphernalia charge and plead guilty. The judge did not make me serve any time and I was not put on probation. I however had to pay a hefty fine and lost my license to drive in the process. I was 18 at the time.

I would like to know if I am still able to own/possess a gun. I already know I will never be able to have a license to carry a firearm for the rest of my life. I however would like to know if I can still purchase a firearm and go to the range or hunt.

I was young and stupid at this time and have since then not been in any kind of trouble and do not use any type of drug.

Here are the list of my charges from the docket sheet:

1) Statute
    35 $ 780-112 $$ A32
    Use/Poss of Drug Paraph
    Grade M
    Guilty Plea

2) Statute
    35 $ 780-113 $$ A16
    Int Poss Contr Subst By Per Not Reg
    Grade (none listed)
    Guilty Plea

3)Statue
    35 $ 780-113 $$ A30
    Manuf/Def/Poss/W Int Manuf or Del
    Grade (none listed)
    Nolle Prossed

4)Statue
    35 $ 780-113 $$ A32
    Use/Poss of Drug Paraph
    Grade M
    Guilty Plea

From my understanding none of these charges have a max sentence of over 1 year. The paraphernalia charge carried a max sentence of up to 1 year but not exceeding. Not sure if this helps or not.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Small amount of marijuana and paraphernalia conviction - May I own/purchas a fire

Tentatively, it looks like you can buy and own a gun. But you are completely disqualified from getting a LTCF.

If you intend to buy a handgun, you will only be able to walk to your hunting destination while carrying it openly, or to get a Sportsmans Permit. To get the exemption for carrying concealed or in a vehicle for hunting/fishing/trapping/dog training, you must first have a Sportsmans Permit. I don't think the SP has the extra dis-qualifiers that the LTCF has.

If you have cleaned up your life, and haven't gotten into any other trouble since - you might want to consider petitioning for a pardon. Then if granted the pardon, filing for an expungement.
    Last edited by knight0334; April 11th, 2013 at 10:44 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Small amount of marijuana and paraphernalia conviction - May I own/purchas a fire

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Tentatively, it looks like you can buy and own a gun. But you are completely disqualified from getting a LTCF.

If you intend to buy a handgun, you will only be able to walk to your hunting destination while carrying it openly, or to get a Sportsmans Permit. To get the exemption for carrying concealed or in a vehicle for hunting/fishing/trapping/dog training, you must first have a Sportsmans Permit. I don't think the SP has the extra dis-qualifiers that the LTCF has.

If you have cleaned up your life, and haven't gotten into any other trouble since - you might want to consider petitioning for a pardon. Then if granted the pardon, filing for an expungement.
    So as I understand if I purchase a handgun I would not be allowed to transport it to the range for example in my car and I would need to have it out in the open at all times when carrying it on me while hunting or at the range? Is this correct?

I would mainly be hunting with a rifle, would I be allowed to transport this in my car to the hunting location or the range?
    Last edited by Strife21; April 11th, 2013 at 11:07 AM.

(Armstrong County)

You can NOT take a semi-auto pistol hunting without a LTCF
    You can take your handgun and rifles to and from the range, gun shop, police station, hunting spot, all with no stops for gas, to show off etc....

Gunlawyer001 can assist in restoration of "Rights"

An OC Activist and 1 of the 3%
    Ed Stephan
    Last edited by edstephan; April 11th, 2013 at 10:55 AM.
    FeedBack: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...ight=edstephan
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3790&dateline=1331561  797An OathKeeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by edstephan View Post
    You can NOT take a semi-auto pistol hunting without a LTCF

Gunlawyer001 can assist in restoration of "Rights"

An OC Activist and 1 of the 3%
    Ed Stephan
    Thanks

It would seem from what you said that I do not have the ability to own or hunt with even a rifle anyway.

(Montgomery County)

Do you have any info on how I go about filing for a pardon by any chance? Sorry if I am asking to many questions, just trying to be put in the right direction.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Strife21 View Post
    Do you have any info on how I go about filing for a pardon by any chance? Sorry if I am asking to many questions, just trying to be put in the right direction.
    A pardon is what you will want to speak to a lawyer about. If not completed correctly or if you don't have all your ducks in a row with your life, you will get denied. And once denied you're pretty much blackballed from ever getting one later. It is usually a one time try. ...so using an lawyer experienced with pardons is your best option.

There is a lawyer here at this site who is experienced with pardons, and is located in that general corner of the state. He is absolutely pro-gun, so no worries about getting grief over that issue.

His name is Phil Kline, aka "GunLawyer001". Follow this link - http://forum.pafoa.org/members/1125-gunlawyer001/

Got to his contact tab and send him a PM.

His services aren't free though.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Montgomery County)

A pardon is what you will want to speak to a lawyer about. If not completed correctly or if you don't have all your ducks in a row with your life, you will get denied. And once denied you're pretty much blackballed from ever getting one later. It is usually a one time try. ...so using an lawyer experienced with pardons is your best option.

There is a lawyer here at this site who is experienced with pardons, and is located in that general corner of the state. He is absolutely pro-gun, so no worries about getting grief over that issue.

His name is Phil Kline, aka "GunLawyer001". Follow this link - http://forum.pafoa.org/members/1125-gunlawyer001/

Got to his contact tab and send him a PM.

His services aren't free though.
    Thanks I sent him a PM.

I am just confused that you and edstephan are saying slightly different things. He says I can transport a hand gun directly to the range with no stops and you mentioned I can not transport a hand gun in a vehicle at all.

Does this same thing apply to rifles and shot guns as well?
    Last edited by knight0334; April 11th, 2013 at 11:17 AM.

PM sent, thanks all for the recommendations.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Strife21 View Post
    Thanks I sent him a PM.

I am just confused that you and edstephan are saying slightly different things. He says I can transport a hand gun directly to the range with no stops and you mentioned I can not transport a hand gun in a vehicle at all.

Does this same thing apply to rifles and shot guns as well?
    Sorry about the edit of your post. I hit edit on your post instead of quote. I restored it to your content only.

A range is one of the exemptions listed under 6106(b). http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...out-a-license/

There aren't many exemptions for transporting a handgun in PA. I had only addressed hunting.

Rifles and shotguns don't require a LTCF to carry or transport, except within Philly or during an emergency. So you shouldn't have any issues there. However you cannot have a loaded long gun within a vehicle.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast