Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Surprising Girlfriend with gun

So my girlfriend really liked the Ruger SR22; sadly our local shop did not have any in stock and it appears that they are few and far between right now. I found a place in CT that had them in stop for $299 and in a pink color which I know she will love.

Here is my small dilemma. We are both in PA and both have LTCFs, am I legally allowed to pick the firearm up at the FFL, pay the costs, get the gun transferred to me then give her the gun as a gift? Everything I read just confuses me more. We do not live together or share dwellings.

TL;DF

1. Can LTCF boyfriend give LTCF girlfriend a handgun as a gift without transferring it to her through an FFL but instead F2F.

2. Can LTCF boyfriend sell LTCF girlfriend a handgun F2F without FFL or is it a gray area / strawpurchase?

Thanks for any and all help - I've searched but end up with more questions than answers.

UPDATE:

It seems to my research that this would be considered a strawpurchase if I do not let the FFL know that the gun is going to be a gift. How can I notify them that it is a gift without having to bring all her information or proof that she is legally able to own a firearm? The shop knows my girlfriend and she shoots there often but I've never noticed a "gift" option when filling out the paperwork.
    Last edited by phillysteve; April 10th, 2013 at 09:17 PM.

Default Re: Surprising Girlfriend with gun

Quote Originally Posted by phillysteve View Post
    So my girlfriend really liked the Ruger SR22; sadly our local shop did not have any in stock and it appears that they are few and far between right now. I found a place in CT that had them in stop for $299 and in a pink color which I know she will love.

Here is my small dilemma. We are both in PA and both have LTCFs, am I legally allowed to pick the firearm up at the FFL, pay the costs, get the gun transferred to me then give her the gun as a gift? Everything I read just confuses me more. We do not live together or share dwellings.

TL;DF

1. Can LTCF boyfriend give LTCF girlfriend a handgun as a gift without transferring it to her through an FFL but instead F2F.

2. Can LTCF boyfriend sell LTCF girlfriend a handgun F2F without FFL or is it a gray area / strawpurchase?

Thanks for any and all help - I've searched but end up with more questions than answers.
    1) No

2) No

(Delaware County)

You can LOAN her the gun temporarily.
    You can't TRANSFER it to her without using an FFL

If you were married, you could just hand it to her without an FFL, but if you were married, you probably wouldn't be allowed to buy it

Lol

It's NOT a straw purchase but you are required to use an FFL to transfer to her outside of a loan

(Philadelphia County)

Gotcha, appears because it is not a "longgun" that a FFL must be used. I suppose I'll have to trick her into going to the FFL with me tomorrow when the gun arrives. I would prefer to do it this way but with our current work schedules it could be a week before I can get here there to pick it up.

No biggy, I'll do things the right way. Thanks guys. At least this thread is pretty obvious find if anyone else googles the terms and gets a quick answer.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillysteve View Post
    Gotcha, appears because it is not a "longgun" that a FFL must be used. I suppose I'll have to trick her into going to the FFL with me tomorrow when the gun arrives. I would prefer to do it this way but with our current work schedules it could be a week before I can get here there to pick it up.

No biggy, I'll do things the right way. Thanks guys. At least this thread is pretty obvious find if anyone else googles the terms and gets a quick answer.
    Correct, long guns in PA can be transferred privately between PA residents without an FFL. If person A buys a long gun at an FFL, there is no issue checking the question about being the "true buyer" if your intention is to gift it to person b after the original sale.

(Delaware County)

Most times that I have surprised a lady with a gun it has had nothing to do with firearms

Sorry, haven't had enough sleep. Your title just caught my attention.

(Allegheny County)

Unfortunately there is no way to really surprise your girlfriend with a firearm.

If you know the FFL well enough they may allow a firearm that you purchased to be transferred to her. But allot will not do this as it raises a lot of red flags that it will be a straw purchase and that you will be the intended user of the firearm.

The best way to go about it, but has basically no surprise is to give your girlfriend the cash for the firearm and have her order it and pick it up. It's nobody's business what kind of cash gift you give to anyone.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    ....The best way to go about it, but has basically no surprise is to give your girlfriend the cash for the firearm and have her order it and pick it up....
    ....Why don't you (OP) order it first...(have the pistol waiting at the store), then take her to the store with the money?

(Delaware County)

Unfortunately there is no way to really surprise your girlfriend with a firearm.
    Sure there is. Guy buys it from FFL. Puts it in box with nice bow.
    Gives it to GF (Loan with LTCF). They then go down to FFL and officially transfer it to her

If you know the FFL well enough they may allow a firearm that you purchased to be transferred to her. But allot will not do this as it raises a lot of red flags that it will be a straw purchase and that you will be the intended user of the firearm.
    This is NOT straw purchase. As long as the 2nd FFL transfer happens (outside of a LTCF loan) to the GF, all laws are followed

It's nobody's business what kind of cash gift you give to anyone.
    The IRS would disagree with you

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by fat_frog View Post
    ....Why don't you (OP) order it first...(have the pistol waiting at the store), then take her to the store with the money?
    Now... we are bordering on straw purchase

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast