Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Obtaining a PA permit as a NJ resident

Hello all. This is my first time starting a thread here, though I have been reading other people's posts for several weeks. I spend most of my time over at The Gun Thing forum, which perhaps some of you might be familiar with.

On to my question. I am a NJ resident going to college in PA. From what I understand, if your home state has a provision for issuing a permit, PA will not issue you a permit unless you have a permit from your home state. As I am sure many of you know, even though NJ technically issues permits, it is essentially a non-issue state. Is there any chance that I could get a PA permit?

Default Re: Obtaining a PA permit as a NJ resident

Quote Originally Posted by eocoolj View Post
    Hello all. This is my first time starting a thread here, though I have been reading other people's posts for several weeks. I spend most of my time over at The Gun Thing forum, which perhaps some of you might be familiar with.

On to my question. I am a NJ resident going to college in PA. From what I understand, if your home state has a provision for issuing a permit, PA will not issue you a permit unless you have a permit from your home state. As I am sure many of you know, even though NJ technically issues permits, it is essentially a non-issue state. Is there any chance that I could get a PA permit?
    you basically said it, since NJ does have a permit you can't get a non resident PA permit without one. I believe you can carry in PA on a non-resident FL or UT permit though

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    you basically said it, since NJ does have a permit you can't get a non resident PA permit without one. I believe you can carry in PA on a non-resident FL or UT permit though
    XD45 is correct - you could get yourself a Non-Resident permit form either Utah or Florida and carry legally in PA.

Do a search on the forum and you'll find a ton of information on where you can get the training requirements for the Utah permits. There are several threads on it.

On to my question. I am a NJ resident going to college in PA.
    What school? Lehigh? A couple students have been robbed within the past couple weeks there
    Bazinga

(Adams County)

Or you could establish PA residency. Just a thought.
    USMV M/C

Quote Originally Posted by Keith4001r View Post
    Or you could establish PA residency. Just a thought.
    I have considered it. I dont have any handguns at this point, largely because I fundamentally disagree with NJ's policy of registering all handgun purchases.

Im not sure if I can become a PA resident. I live on a college campus, so I dont know if I can make that my permanent residence. Also, I am still on my parent's car insurance, and Im pretty sure if i switched to PA I could no longer tag along on their policy, which would probably end up being more expensive.

I graduate next year, and at that point I am planning on moving to a more gun friendly state.
    Last edited by eocoolj; April 14th, 2008 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF4i View Post
    What school? Lehigh? A couple students have been robbed within the past couple weeks there
    Are you from the bethlehem area? The plus side about all the robberies in the past couple weeks is that they have all been attempted robberies. Everyone has managed to escape with all their belongings and health intact. However, last week a house of four girls was burglarized with them in it. I am amazed that more kids living off campus dont have guns. Burglary happens somewhat often, though most of the time because kids are stupid (leave doors unlocked, etc).

Are you from the bethlehem area?
    I am. I frequently go to the Regal on 378 which is right near Lehgih U.

The plus side about all the robberies in the past couple weeks is that they have all been attempted robberies. Everyone has managed to escape with all their belongings and health intact.
    I saw on the news that one of the kids got beat up and was robbed for like only 5 bucks.

However, last week a house of four girls was burglarized with them in it.
    You mean robbed...a burglary occurs when no one is present and a robbery occurs in the presence of a person. Just a pet peeve I have kind of like the guy here who doesn't like it when you call a magazine a clip

I am amazed that more kids living off campus dont have guns. Burglary happens somewhat often, though most of the time because kids are stupid (leave doors unlocked, etc).
    I agree. Be safe and good luck in school.
    Bazinga

Do you know of any ranges within 20 minutes or so of Bethlehem that allow guests? I am a member at Hellertown Sportsman's Association, but they dont allow guests. I have a few friends here who have never been shooting who want to try it out, but dont want to go through the trouble of joining a club for something they are only gonna do once or twice.

(Lancaster County)

I second getting Florida's permit. As soon as my Alabama one is due for renewal I'll likely get a Florida one especially if I can't renew my AL since I'll be out of state.