Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Sonic cleaners?

(Warren County)

Default Sonic cleaners?

Just wondering about the sonic jewelry cleaners, and if they'd be practical for cleaning stuff like an AR-15 bolt and carrier, Glock trigger group, etc.. ? I used to use them to clean all sorts of small things like jewelry(of course), slot car chassis, RC car parts, and several other small things that get really filthy.

I was just giving my AR it's first bath in over a year, and I was thinking how nice it would have been to just take down the bolt and carrier and drop it in the sonic cleaner with a couple drops of degreasing soap.

Any thoughts on this?
    Anyone tried it?
    Zone1
    My Glock does 1d6+3 dmg, but my 18 dex makes up for that...

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Sonic cleaners?

http://www.jewelsmall.com/ulguncl.ht...FRciFQodqSIF-Q

I have no experience with these, but have heard mixed reviews in the maintenance aspect. Everyone who uses them say they do a great job, but the solution can get spendy.

Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by MrUgly View Post
    http://www.jewelsmall.com/ulguncl.ht...FRciFQodqSIF-Q

I have no experience with these, but have heard mixed reviews in the maintenance aspect. Everyone who uses them say they do a great job, but the solution can get spendy.
    3-4 drops of Dawn dish soap in hot water cuts almost every grease you can imagine. I've cleaned some really nasty stuff with it.

I just don't know how it'd do vs powder residue
    Zone1

(Chester County)

I have two of these well my wife does... We bought one from Shaper Image and that broke in about two weeks. I think we paid about 100 bux. Then we bought one at Bed Bath and beyond for around 40... and it's still going strong it's pretty big two. I use it to clean some parts of my guns...

(Lebanon County)

I regularly used an ultrasonic tank to clean bicycle parts years ago. I put WD-40 in it, dropped the parts in, turned it on for an hour or so and I was amazed at how well it got rid of the dried up, caked on grease. I have one now to use the same way on cosmoline in gun parts that aren't too big for the tank. It works great to get cosmo out of springs and inaccessible spots, but I don't know what you'd use as a solution to clean powder residue. It would be cost prohibitive to fill it with gun cleaning solvent, and I've never tried dish detergent on powder residue. I'm sure someone here will chime in with their favorite recipe for a cheap and effective gun parts bath.
    Be advised that you don't want to clean anything aluminum in an ultrasonic tank.
    Billt posted a thread about a month ago with detailed results and pictures.

See the thread here:_

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Warren County)

Thanks for taking the time to give me that link.

I'll have to do some research as to what can and can't be out in one of them as a solution. I don't want to blow it up if it's full of my gun parts. lol
    Zone1

(Centre County)

Ultrasonic cleaners are great for cleaning the parts you described. Don't go with the little jewelry cleaners, get a good one that will fit what you want to clean. I got one at Harbor Freight for about $135. If you put your parts in and then use a good cleaner/degreaser it will take all the gunk out from everywhere. Just remember to oil where necessary after cleaning because it will take off all the oil. I've know peole to immerse complete guns (handguns) and then strip them to finish cleaning and lube.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

I conducted this test in an effort to see actual results of what happens to unprotected Aluminum when subjected to Ultrasonic cleaning. The test sample is a piece of T-6 grade Aluminum I got from work, and applied a 500 finish to, then went over it with Happich Simichrome Polish to achieve as smooth of finish as possible. The above photo shows the finished piece before being subjected to any treatments. It's size is approx. 2 1/2" X 1 1/2" X 1/2" thick.

This was after 9-1/2 minutes in warm water with a small amount of Palmolive Dish Soap. There is not much change except for some very light, hard to see speckling.

This was after 21 minutes exposure to the Ultrasonic cleaner. More profound frosting of the metal has occurred, along with some enhanced speckling. The frosting appears to have taken on the circular pattern of the plastic tray it was resting on with multiple speckles occurring at 9, 12, and 3 O'clock positions around it.

This was after a full 30 minutes of Ultrasonic exposure. Much more profound frosting has occurred, along with deeper speckles. This would no doubt effect the finish of an Aluminium framed pistol if it had any degree of polish on it. While this test wasn't very scientific, I would conclude that it would be risky to expose any Aluminum firearm parts to Ultrasonic cleaning. I wish the photos were better, but you can see the Ultrasonic treatment did in fact effect the finish, which is what I was trying to determine. Bill T.