Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Question regarding reciprocity

I have a CCW in NC, which has a reciprocity agreement with PA. I have not committed any felonies, never been to jail, etc.

I will be going to graduate school in Philly next year and want to bring my CCW weapon with me. Is there anything other than my CCW permit that I need to carry with me while in PA? Is there anything else that I need to do?

I apologize if this question is posted in the wrong section. Thank you for any help.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Question regarding reciprocity

Quote Originally Posted by commdiver View Post
    I have a CCW in NC, which has a reciprocity agreement with PA. I have not committed any felonies, never been to jail, etc.

I will be going to graduate school in Philly next year and want to bring my CCW weapon with me. Is there anything other than my CCW permit that I need to carry with me while in PA? Is there anything else that I need to do?

I apologize if this question is posted in the wrong section. Thank you for any help.
    CCW in Pa with your NC CCW is good to go. You need nothing else.

For your handgun transport between NC and PA, check your route for transiting unfriendly states (like MD). Your NC CCW is good in VA and WV but I suspect your direct route will involve MD. To pass through unfriendly states you must rely on the FOPA transport section:

18 USC §926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    This means that, before crossing into MD and while still in a 'friendly' state, place the handgun into the prescribed transport methodology, go straight through MD (preferably without stopping), and arrive in PA where you can retrieve the handgun and then OC/CC under the NC CCW as you wish.
    IANAL

(Jefferson County)

To add on to tl_3237's post above, and since you will be in Philly that is pretty much completely blanketed with school zones - you really should apply for a PA LTCF.

As a student you'd likely be considered a resident while in school, so that may provide less hassles with Sheriff's or the Chief of Police of Philly when applying(some issuing agents don't like to issue to non-residents). Or you can apply as a non-resident before taking up "residency" for your schooling at a non-resident friendly sheriff.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northampton County)

Agree with apply for Pa LTCF.

Use your residence address in Phi.

You will need to show "proof of residency" when you apply for permit.

Suggest you register to vote first.

Voter ID can be used in LTCF application process to prove residency.

Good luck. My condolences with living in Killadelphia and the city police
    harassment related to carrying a firearm in "their city". Well mentioned on this forum. Search.

Thank you for all the help. I appreciate it.

(York County)

Too many multi-quotes....

1) When transporting through MD there are no restrictions on stops like PA has. Transport according to FOPA, or according to MD 4-203...

Maryland Criminal Law Section 4-203

Article - Criminal Law
    § 4-203. (a) (1) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:
    (i) wear, carry, or transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, on or about the person;

(ii) wear, carry, or knowingly transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, in a vehicle traveling on a road or parking lot generally used by the public, highway, waterway, or airway of the State;

(b) This section does not prohibit:

(3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland...gcr/4-203.html
    ^Nothing about "directly to" and "directly from" like in PA law. I think even FOPA allows stops germane or necessary to the trip. Fortunately, the trip through Maryland is relatively short, total time on I-95 would be about 2 1/2 hours depending on traffic.

While traversing Wash DC and Maryland, avoid rush hour at all costs. It will triple your travel time, no I'm not exaggerating. Traveling north, rush hour begins at Quantico, Virginia around 04:30am until 09:30am; and 02:00pm - 6:30pm. It is literally among the top 10 ugliest corridors in the USA. I work nights just to avoid it.

2) Would it not make more sense for the OP, as a resident of NC and applying as a non-resident, to apply at York County or Lancaster County (to name just 2) where he would not have to struggle through Philadelphia's insane restrictions? In this case, trying to make a case for residency is not only unnecessary, it's actually counter-productive.

The acquisition of a PA LTCF is indeed a good idea.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; April 10th, 2013 at 06:03 PM.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.