Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Mandatory Firearms Education for FirstTime Handgun Owners - PA HB1162

The text of the bill isn't out yet but here''s a summary of what it's about.

Under the Game & Wildlife Code, hunters in the Commonwealth are required to possess a certificate of training before a hunting license is issued to them. Similarly, I intend to reintroduce a measure calling for all first-time purchasers of handguns to complete a firearms safety course, approved by the Commissioner of the State Police.

As background, my bill was one of seven (of 25) handgun-related proposals that passed the House in a rare committee of the whole session convened in 2006. Altogether, 96 bills were introduced concerning violence.

The legislation pertains to guns with a barrel length less than 26 inches and exempts standard-length hunting, target rifles and shotguns. Law enforcement personnel, active or reserve military, persons with a concealed pistol or revolver permit, persons who can demonstrate a second firearms purchase or transfer and persons who demonstrate an immediate personal safety threat are exempted from the requirement as determined by the Commissioner.

While the intent of this legislation is to minimize proxy buyers who may be reluctant to take the course, most law-abiding citizens recognize firearms safety training as practical and not an inconvenience when considering the injury and death that occurs in mishandling firearms.

If we able to thwart the proliferation of straw purchases, it’s one step closer to keeping guns out of the hands of criminals.

Please join me in co-sponsoring this common sense legislation. Thank you.
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...cosponId=11962

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Default Re: Mandatory Firearms Education for FirstTime Handgun Owners - PA HB1162

They did this in Maryland about twenty years ago and it was such a non-event. Watch a fifteen minute video and you got a wallet card. Every gun shop offered the video and it was being done for large groups at gun shows. If memory serves, a DD 214 or hunting saftey class exempted you from watching the video.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Mandatory Firearms Education for FirstTime Handgun Owners - PA HB1162

I am somewhat conflicted about this one.

Of course, it infringes on a right - you don't have to be educated to vote for example, but on the other hand I have seen soooo many stupid people doing stupid things with guns.

If the courses were free and readily available, and exceptions were made like the ones mentioned in Maryland, I am not sure I would have a problem with this.

But then again, I think a year or two of national compulsory service that includes basic weapons training would solve this and make for a better society as a whole.

I wouldn't really have a problem with this if it can be made very affordable or free and was more like a basic NRA safety class. Arizona has an 8 hour class you have to take before they will issue a Carry permit.
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.-Benjamin Franklin

(Bucks County)

Sign up for the course and now you're a registered gun owner. Everytime the government steps in to fix a "problem" it becomes worse. What's next, training for your LTCF, training for buying a mandatory safe, training for safety if you have kids, training (mandatory) for which ammo to buy then needing mandatory "card" to show you're proficient in ammo buying.

Come on people, stop buying into this BS. It's called "personal responsibility" and once again the 2%-3% of the egg heads out there are altering your decision to think about this stuff rationally. This is the way it ALWAYS starts, then ends up in full blown government control. You get a gun, ask, learn and pay to be responsible as an individual.

Man oh man, do you guys think anything can be done without mandatory government intervention?
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

(Jefferson County)

It is just another means to whittle away at our rights.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    Sign up for the course and now you're a registered gun owner. Everytime the government steps in to fix a "problem" it becomes worse. What's next, training for your LTCF, training for buying a mandatory safe, training for safety if you have kids, training (mandatory) for which ammo to buy then needing mandatory "card" to show you're proficient in ammo buying.

Come on people, stop buying into this BS. It's called "personal responsibility" and once again the 2%-3% of the egg heads out there are altering your decision to think about this stuff rationally. This is the way it ALWAYS starts, then ends up in full blown government control. You get a gun, ask, learn and pay to be responsible as an individual.

Man oh man, do you guys think anything can be done without mandatory government intervention?
    To be honest I am a little conflicted myself. On one hand I see your point about the slippery slope but one the other hand I kind of wish I recieved some sort of booklet or training when I bought my first pistol. I got lucky and found this place and asked my questions.
    If it was a class not a test, and it truly only dealt with the law and safety I have no issue. But chances are it will be filled with MAIG and Ceasefire propaganda.
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.-Benjamin Franklin

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

We live in an era in which people like to talk about responsibility but few actually follow through. "Oh my teen is responsible enough to have sex. Did I tell you that I'm raising my grandson while my daughter finishes high school?" "I'm a good driver so I can text while driving." "I play Call of the Zombie so I know all about guns."
    Last edited by Grey Bearded One; April 9th, 2013 at 05:11 PM.

I was proficient with handguns long before I could own one myself.

This is just another knee jerk feel good law proposal.

(Allegheny County)

I think everyone should receive some kind of firearms education on safe handling, operation, and basic marksmanship.

However I don't believe the government should be in the business of regulating it.

The firearms community should do a better job of educating it's own.

It's a sad state of affairs when you walk into most local gun shops and they cannot practice some of the basics of firearms safety. I just recently was in a gun shop when the clerk had a pistol in his hand that I had handed back to him after looking at it and while talking pointed it directed at me because he was gesturing in my direction. I abruptly moved and he abruptly apologized but it should not have happened in the first place.

I know that ultimately personal responsibility should kick in and every firearm owner should seek out proper training. But the reality is they do not.

More and more I have seen a lack of respect for firearms. To may people just want to go out and "play" without understanding the level of responsibility that comes with firearm ownership.

If the firearms community does not do a better job of policing itself sometime down the road one of these types of laws will get passed. It may help bring down firearms related accidents. But it will be just another hurdle to exercise our rights.

Quote Originally Posted by 7998 View Post
    ...I kind of wish I recieved some sort of booklet or training when I bought my first pistol. I got lucky and found this place and asked my questions.
    Did your first firearm not come with a user manual? I believe all new firearms must come with one, but I don't have the law to cite at the moment. I don't think its a requirement for used firearms but is recommended by the manufacturer. Also all manufactures that I know off will send you one upon request and most have them published on their website in PDF format.
    Last edited by QuackXP; April 9th, 2013 at 10:49 AM.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast