Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Cool Smart guns and EMP??

I tried a search and got nothing useful. Did not know where to post this either..so:

I was wondering...recently the state-controlled media has returned to blathering about 'smart guns' and how they could have helped "saaaave the cheeldrin"..at ..pick yer location.

I was also thinking about the NKoreans and their threat, possibly valid, of setting off a nuke high up over the US to cause a wide-area EMP and so disable the electronics here in the CONUS. So..does the EMP also disable the smart guns..or juast make them all dumb guns?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...-up-to-snuff/#

(McKean County)

Default Re: Smart guns and EMP??

Dunno how a "smart" gun works, but if it relies on a printed circuit / sensor of some sort in combination with a silicon chip to function and gets hit with am EMP it will likely be rendered useless.

Just like in the movies, and EMP puts you in the dark ages. No lights no electric no cars no radios no TV no Facebook or Twitter no burglar alarms no fire alarms no cell phones no hearing aids no credit cards no furnace thermostat no forum....
    Marty near God's Country. Making good people defenseless doesn’t make bad people harmless.

Cool Re: Smart guns and EMP??

Quote Originally Posted by FJRMarty View Post
    Dunno how a "smart" gun works, but if it relies on a printed circuit / sensor of some sort in combination with a silicon chip to function and gets hit with am EMP it will likely be rendered useless.

Just like in the movies, and EMP puts you in the dark ages. No lights no electric no cars no radios no TV no Facebook or Twitter no burglar alarms no fire alarms no cell phones no hearing aids no credit cards no furnace thermostat no forum....
    .................................................. .......

Well, thanks. I agree with you that, logically, an EMP 'event' either by the NKs [or a false flag event done by our fedgov] would DO that, but I still would like some opinions from others.
    BTW this is precisely why folks should be well prepared for such things with "barterable goods"..such as hard money in small denominations, lots of ammo and food and a place to keep it where it and 'they' can be relatively safe.
    One could envision the days when the EBT cards of the moochers did not work..and the chaos which would follow in the flippin streets of everytown USA.

Also..I think I'll stick to my old tried and true 'dumb guns' which have worked for years and which will work for my family if I am ever incapacitated.....

(Beaver County)

And that's why I store my "smart gun" in the microwave...on my boat...which sank....

Good ol' fashion iron and wood don't need no 'lectricity just some dry powder an' lead.

(Dauphin County)

It would depend on whether the electronic interlock was designed to fail-safe (in this case "safe" meaning able to fire) or fail-secure.

In the case of, e.g., electronically-locked doors, either option is possible. A fail-safe door might be held closed only by the pull of an electromagnet, with the result that when power fails the door is readily opened. A fail-secure door might have a mechanical lock which requires an application of power to unlock it; as configured in high-security applications a power failure might render such a lock inoperable (although there would generally be some method of non-electronic override).

Either one would be a poor choice for locking a gun. The former would likely be too easy to defeat and render the gun fully operable. The latter would be too dangerous to a legitimate user in situations where power didn't flow because of, e.g., dead batteries, manufacturing defect like a cold solder joint, impact damage, moisture damage, or (yes) EMP.
    Last edited by twency; April 9th, 2013 at 01:52 PM. Reason: corrected quote, fixed spelling
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Hmmmm..... interesting and never thought about it before ...... how long before the government starts pushing the idea of guns with smart chips, so that they can disabled by the police/ government on demand. Maybe a device in a police car that disables the chip?

(Berks County)

EFFIN' GREAT, no facebook?

Wink Re: Smart guns and EMP??

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    Hmmmm..... interesting and never thought about it before ...... how long before the government starts pushing the idea of guns with smart chips, so that they can disabled by the police/ government on demand. Maybe a device in a police car that disables the chip?

IMHO it gets mentioned from time to time as "safer guns", mostly by politicians and media hacks who know little about guns [or much else except stealing tax $$ from us working stiffs]. I don't need a "safer gun"....my guns have killed fewer folks than Ted Kennedy's CARS!