Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    (Elk County)

Default Re: No Cabelas for Erie!

Cabelas announced on 3 June 2013 a new store to be built in Cheektowaga NY near Buffalo. The press release specifically mentioned proximity to Canada and the company's large following there.

Coulda been Erie if it weren't for the greed.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Cabelas announced on 3 June 2013 a new store to be built in Cheektowaga NY near Buffalo. The press release specifically mentioned proximity to Canada and the company's large following there.

Coulda been Erie if it weren't for the greed.

Noah
    OR they may be trying to outdo Bass Pro....Buffalo and Bass Pro have had a FIASCO ever since they were supposed to put a Bass pro where the old Memorial Auditorium was(where the Sabres used to play) and like you said Govt(local maybe state but definitely local) incompetence and greed killed that deal..Since then they have been trying to on /off find a place/funding/way to get it done and no go...maybe Cabellas finally said to heck with that and jumped in to get that market I mean for all the crap they get they are STILL the 2nd largest city in NY behind NYC of course..

So im betting they saw the Bass pro incompetence and the location and jumped on it when Bass Pro faltered. In other words what happened there(in Erie) sounds a awful lot like what happened with bass Pro in Buffalo...

8/2/2010 12:39:00 PM
    Bass Pro pulls out of Buffalo waterfront deal
    SBJ Staff

After nearly a decade of talk, the Bass Pro Shops Buffalo, N.Y., waterfront deal has fallen through.

The decision came 11 days after New York State Rep. Brian Higgins (N.Y.-27) called for a two-week deadline on Bass Pro's decision.

Bass Pro President James Hagale responded to the congressman July 30, also in a letter. It is posted online at BuffaloNews.com.

"Unfortunately, we cannot respond favorably to the lease draft forwarded to us by the Erie Canal Harbor Development Corp. within the 14-day time period you requested in your letter," Hagale wrote in the letter. "There are numerous critical reasons for our position, including the fact that several major issues fundamental to the successful completion of the project remain unresolved."

Following the letter, Higgins released a statement on his Web site.

"The last nine years of limbo is unreasonable and unfortunate but today, with nothing holding us back, we continue the momentum we already see along the water’s edge.”

Bass Pro initially began talks with Buffalo officials in July 2001, according to the congressman's original letter, sent July 19.

On Nov. 29, 2004, Bass Pro officially announced its intentions to build at the site as a part of the area's waterfront redevelopment, which has become a more than $250 million expansion.

The Erie Canal Harbor Development Corp., the developers behind the plans, also released a statement July 30 following Bass Pro's decision.

In it, the corporation expressed its disappointment but noted it would continue the project without Bass Pro's involvement.

In response to a Springfield Business Journal e-mail concerning the news, Bass Pro Manager of Communications Larry Whiteley declined to comment.
    Last edited by CBennett; June 16th, 2013 at 12:39 PM.

Looks like we are getting a Field and Stream store operated by Dicks.....Not thrilled about it.
    Jules

(Erie County)

My favorite quote by someone on here,
    "I stopped shopping at Dick's when they became their name!"
    I will probably stop in to check it out. I reserve my opinion for then.
    Cheektowaga's not too far to drive. Nice day trip, stop at the falls, the military museum......
    The most dangerous place in America is a "gun free" zone.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Cheektowaga's not too far to drive. Nice day trip, stop at the falls, the military museum......
    Do not make your plans until after the doors have been opened.
    Recall back, about ten years ago, long before the vision of an Erie store, the residents of the Town of Ripley, NY were excited, the town's bureaucrats were working with Cabela's.
    Cabela's had taken an option on a piece of property, off of Shortman Road near the NY State Thruway west end toll plaza, intending to build a full sized store. After several months of planning and negotiations the project fell apart.
    I think, I recall, the project's demise was a detail about truck access.
    Last edited by Klyde; August 12th, 2013 at 05:16 PM.

(Erie County)

With NY's strict gun and ammo laws, I wonder why Cabela's would want to build a store anywhere in New York.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rexaroonie View Post
    With NY's strict gun and ammo laws, I wonder why Cabela's would want to build a store anywhere in New York.
    Because of all the yuppie outdoorsman wannabe types. They sell tons of camping and hiking equipment, and will sell guns, to anyone willing to jump through all the hoops. There are a lot of hunters in NY., too.

(Erie County)

Why' Did'nt Erie offer them to build down on the bayfront were GAF was. Come on Erie wake up!

(Erie County)

Dealing with Millcreek (the other location) was bad enough, Erie would have been MUCH worse, with all the greedy politicians!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456