Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Rockwell Tactical Group Review Thread

I've taken several classes from Rockwell and have always had good communications with them,

Last weekend I attended Rockwell Tactical's all day seminar that was made up of four classes. Concealed Carry, Active Shooter, Trauma First Aid and their Mindset seminar.

I'm one of those people that helped make last black friday a record for gun sales by purchasing my first firearms. Nobody in my family owns a firearm besides me, some of them are against guns like they are the plague, but I'm not willing to leave myself and my loved ones defenseless in these uncertain times. Being a new gun owner, the responsible thing to do was to get some training. To my delight, while I was at the C&E gun show in Harrisburg I happened by the Rockwell Tactical both and was impressed with what they had to offer and stashed away a flier.

Fast forward a few weeks, and I walk into a seminar room at a nice hotel to share the room 30 or so like minded individuals. The first thing that struck me was how experienced these guys are. Guys with years in Law enforcement, Green Beret, Sniper School just to name a few, they had a wealth of experience and wisdom that came through in every class that helped give exactly the kind of instruction I was looking for as a newly armed citizen. I could go on and on, but I will surmise by saying their attitude conveyed a respect and consideration of every student's experience I have seen in few teachers... they were excellent.

The concealed carry went over every topic from what kind of gun(s) to get, holster selection, practical applications and real world examples and stories that helped tie it all together. Overall it helped demystify concealed carry, cut through the crap and give you what works, including going over the basics of how to shoot and draw. They even had a guest lecture from a holster manufacturer who was really able to break down what exactly goes into selecting and making a good holster. One of the topics they covered very well that I was interested in, under the topic of concealed carry was what to say and how to handle yourself after surviving and encounter where you would have to use your concealed handgun. The instructor, named Dave answered many questions from the students concisely, using the knowledge from his law enforcement background.

Next was the active shooter seminar, which went over what to do to survive the encounter with one of these sick individuals. This course worked very well as a follow up to the concealed carry seminar, since many of the principals carried over to an active killer scenario. We learned how to plan, prepare and in the moment decide a course of action to give us and our loved ones the best chance. We learned a bit about how these individuals became the way they are, and how as responsible gun owners to keep an eye out for anybody that shows the signs for instability. It was surprising the number of low-tech, non-gun solutions were offered that completely thwarted the attacker's plan.

"If you're willing to shoot at someone, you better know how to patch yourself up from the return fire", somebody said somewhere. This class was a primer for what to do for wounds you might encounter when spending time around firearms. The course was kept basic, in "caveman terms" to make it easily understandable to the layman, which was greatly appreciated. We learned about modern medical technology that helps somebody survive a gunshot wound as well as what can be used to improvise until more skilled medical help can assist. I feel like with the knowledge gained in this class I would have no problems helping somebody survive until an ambulance came. Rockwell Tactical offers a more indepth and hands on course that this seminar was a great introduction for.

The final part was the mindset seminar, which went really indepth with what beliefs and outlook help you be effective in high stress scenarios and how to accept your actions. Jared, who was in the special forces shared many first hand accounts to help supplement his understanding of the processes our minds go through in high stress situations. He gave great advice on how to jump from being unawares and frozen to being focused and ready to act. Also covered were various exercises to help improve situational awareness, reading body language and improving your ability to quickly asses situations. This seminar got down to the knitty gritty, and laid out the best arguments for the god-given right to defend yourself, and why you should feel happy, YES- happy if you defend your life or your family and end a threat. I was humbled by the amount of moral responsibility the mindset seminar championed, as well as Jared's candid vulnerability that gave the talk so much heart. I feel blessed to have been able to attend.

Walking in with only a beginner's understanding of the concepts that make a responsible and effective armed citizen, I walked out feeling confident and much more prepared. Rockwell Tactical is a class act, their prices were very reasonable. I will definatley be taking other classes with them in the future.

Great review and welcome. Stick around, you'll earn a lot here.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by dudeface View Post
    Walking in with only a beginner's understanding of the concepts that make a responsible and effective armed citizen, I walked out feeling confident and much more prepared. Rockwell Tactical is a class act, their prices were very reasonable. I will definatley be taking other classes with them in the future.
    Wow, neat story dude. Always awesome to hear how new people get into shooting. Jared runs an awesome company. I first ran into him at the Outdoor Show last Feb - been following his stuff ever since.

My first class that I took with Jared was the Mindset Seminar. And let me tell you - out of any possible class that he teaches, the Mindset is probably the best class to take. The strongest weapon we all have, is our mind. For the lifestyle we live in, especially for SD/HD, it is essential to have the right mindset for when the time comes to make the right decision. A lot of times, when the time calls for it, you see all these macho guys then freeze like deer in headlights. You definitely don't want that to happen when the occasion arises. The Mindset seminar addresses some of that and discusses some things to help get past that point.

Next class I took was the Home Defense Seminar. This was also a very worthwhile class to take, and covered a lot of basics about home defense, some room clearing techniques, a touch of CQB work. We also discussed how to use some of the basic items you have around the house, and how to use it to your advantage/the perp's disadvantage. This course definitely helped me lay out a game plan for what to do should there be a bump in the night.

And the last course I've taken with him to date was the Active Shooter seminar (not the full day class combos), the same as dude did. This was a great course for me, as it served as an eye opener and definitely changed the way I thought of conceal carrying in an active killer scenario. We also discussed the amount of active killer situations that have occurred in PA & the rest of the country, along with some of the tactics/strategies that active killers used.

... also, Dave did mention that there's a lot of crap that goes down in Lancaster county that the media or anyone never really brings to the spotlight. Prime example: homemade bombs have been found by LEOs in the county. Food for thought.

Of course there was a lot of detail that I didn't mention; just wanted to give a brief overview for those interested in taking his courses.

I will also mention, if you take a look at the cost of his classes, they are very reasonable/affordable. I think most, if not all courses, are less than $500. You compare the prices to some big wigs out there (Travis Haley, Chris Costa --- not to take anything away from them; simply just a price comparison) you're paying upwards of $1000, plus travel and lodging fees. At least for me, since they are local - all I'm paying for is the cost of the class + ammo.

Definitely looking forward to actually spending some range time with RTG come summer.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by dudeface View Post
    Last weekend I attended Rockwell Tactical's all day seminar that was made up of four classes. Concealed Carry, Active Shooter, Trauma First Aid and their Mindset seminar.

I'm one of those people that helped make last black friday a record for gun sales by purchasing my first firearms. Nobody in my family owns a firearm besides me, some of them are against guns like they are the plague... (snip)
    I had hoped to take this class... timing just didn't work out. Sounds like the mindset seminar might be something to try to get some our your 'plagued' family to take to see how you and others view firearms and their utility.

Welcome to responsible firearms ownership and good on you for starting your training and with a good group.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by RTF92.5 View Post
    Sounds like the mindset seminar might be something to try to get some our your 'plagued' family to take to see how you and others view firearms and their utility.
    Mmmm - I do not think the Mindset seminar would be a good class to illustrate that.

The Mindset seminar is about helping to prep your mind for a gunfight - well past the philosophy that guns aren't bad, they're just tools, etc.

(Bucks County)

I always see these guys at the Oaks gun shows usually and they are really easy to talk to about a few things and i am glad that they seem to be growing....now i just need time to schedule a class. The mindset seems like a good icebreaker.

(Lancaster County)

tl:dr, go take a training course

Just a quick brain dump from the weekend. Took a carbine 101 intro course offered by Rockwell Tatical Group. After owning the silly thing for a year or so, figured its time to get real training.

Class started with the normal intro to the carbine, and some showing of how to setup one etc. Assigned medical persons and established rules for range, loaded up and headed to firing line. Found/confirmed zero, switched from 25yd to 50yd zero and started drills.

Drills started were simple and concise, but they evolved to specific color/number/shape callouts on multiple targets with pyramid drills. We started with a thirty round drill; 10 rounds in 10 sec at 25yd, 10 rounds at 15yds in 5 sec and 10 rounds at 10yds in 2.5 sec. We finished with that and was very cool to see improvement in my shooting.

Being a NJ prisoner, I walked out to the line with six loaded 15rd mags and a loaned 30rd mag, needless to say, I learned mag changes real fast. Which, in reality was great. I was weak on that and forced myself to learn lefty shooting with a non ambi gun.

All in all, went through a little over 500 rounds and had a blast. Shooting under the clock on different targets is humbling, and damn addictive. That is all.

Looking forward to when RTG posts their schedule for next year training courses
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234