Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Rockwell Tactical Group Review Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMoose View Post
    Hey PMed me that he heard a response. Review coming after the class he said!
    Cool! Good everything got worked out. Looking forward to his review.

(Chester County)

AK101 review!!!!!!

Ok so to start of I'm not going to post every single thing we did because a good chunk of it is the same from carbine 101, basically the fundamentals and drills are really the same regardless of the weapon platform. Manipulations obviously are drastically different from AR platform to the AK platform, but never the less stance, sight picture, breathing, trigger squeeze/reset, recovery and follow through are the basis of all combat based shooting techniques. Jared was very good at conveying why all of the above is important and how to implement it.

We proceeded to go through all of the same drills from carbine 101, 10 in 10 half the distance 10 in 2 1/2, 5 to the chest 3 to the head 2 to the groin, adding multiple targets. We also did the same target acquisition drills using their RTG1 target which was interesting to see how moving from one point on a target to another can throw you off just a little. he also made it interesting by calling out stuff that was less obvious or not there at all and then calling out the next target before you finished eliminating the first set (that one got me the first time).

We then moved into movement which i have to say was weird at first. I've never seriously shot on the move before and it was a weird feeling trying to aim and walk at the same time, especially side to side. It was good to figure this out with some one as knowledgeable instructing, although I'm still not 100% comfortable with it i definitely felt better about it by the time class was over.

The whole time we were doing these drills he would interject with bits of info on how to do it with the AK properly. Things like proper charging with the left hand, rock and lock reload, tactical reloads, why proper fighter stance is so important with the bigger caliber, proper sight alignment and positioning from varying ranges etc.

We also did some cool stuff to exhibit how dependable the AK can be. First Jared shot his AK with out the dust cover (no big deal) then he removed the recoil spring and guide and shot it single shot using his hand to hold the bolt forward. I decided i wanted to test this out for my self (not the smartest idea) but i did it twice any way and finished out the rest of the class with a huge bruise on my palm lol.

We finished out the day with transitions from strong to weak side and vice versa (which if you have never tried this its a must, not as easy as it looks.) transitions from primary to secondary weapon, continued doing reloads every time a mag naturally ran out. We also covered prone shooting and how to use the AK's giant mag to your advantage, basically using it as a mono-pod which creates a very stable shooting platform for all you couch commandos that claim 30rd mags are no good for prone shooting with an AK.

At the end i did some more shooting on the move drills to try and reinforce this transitioning from moving forward to moving right then back to the left.

All in all my experience was excellent and couldn't have asked for a better day. I came in thinking I knew how to shoot and didn't do to bad, but this training helped me to know my weaknesses and how to correct them. It also introduced me to things I either never thought of or never really had a place to try before. Jared's ability to give real world relevance to the training was definitely helpful. He didn't just tell you to do stuff he demonstrated how to do it, fully explained why you should do it like that and what the real world reasons for doing it are. I'm already patiently awaiting the 201 course .

Gear selection
    Rifle: converted Saiga Iz132 equipped with ak100 series stock, hogue over molded grip, chaos front rail with magpul afg, Krebs custom safey selector, 7 Finnish military polymer mags.
    Side arm: Springfield XDsc
    Chest rig: condor rapid assault rig with optional hydration carrier (that i never filled with water DOOOOH!)
    WHEN DEMOCRACY TURNS TO TYRANNY, THE ARMED CITIZEN STILL GETS TO VOTE

(Chester County)

here is the video of my breaking my hand for your viewing pleasure lol

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=252611921543334

Awesome review! Thanks!

(Chester County)

FYI rockwell just put up new classes for the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
    FYI rockwell just put up new classes for the summer.
    In addition to the ones on the site, they are hosting some classses through Lanco Tactical now. Details on Lanco's FB page or call them.

(Montgomery County)

I may have missed it but what facility was this hosted at?

Quote Originally Posted by RXM View Post
    I may have missed it but what facility was this hosted at?
    Do you mean the AK course? I'm pretty sure it was at the same range as the Carbine 101 course. It was a range on private property that the owner set up for his family. Some unit from the Lancaster PD uses the range sometimes too.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
    Do you mean the AK course? I'm pretty sure it was at the same range as the Carbine 101 course. It was a range on private property that the owner set up for his family. Some unit from the Lancaster PD uses the range sometimes too.
    Correct. They do the long gun courses there. I'm not sure where they do the pistol courses although i do know its indoors. The seminars i believe are conducted in the upstairs portion of moors outdoors.

(Berks County)

Took their Shooters First Aid class last month. Was a great class. Learned a tremendous amount of information. Excellent staff and teaching style. Can't say enough good things about them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast