Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default New to the world of cowboy shooting

I'm starting out in cowboy shooting and purchased a ruger vaquero today but im second guessing myself now. Its a 44 40 and I dont reload. I'm mixed on it.

Pros- Western chambering, built like a tank, nice looking gun

cons- I know nothing of 44 40, thinking 357 or 45 lc would have been better

Any input on this would be great also suggestions on finding ammo and a rig
    Have you called, faxed, or emailed your reps today!!!

(Adams County)

Default Re: New to the world of cowboy shooting

.44-40 is a great cal. throws a 200 gr bullet at 1000 fps.

for cowboy shooting you better have a lot of money or be reloading and casting you own bullets. if you want to become any good at it.

(Lehigh County)

lol I meet none of that criteria

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by chrmm22sr View Post
    lol I meet none of that criteria
    If you're going to get into competitive cowboy shooting you will have to reload.

"Cowboy" loads are extremely expensive compared to standard loads. I don't know why exactly because they are usually loaded to powderpuff levels.. But it is expensive.

You can roll your own for a fraction of the cost of "cowboy" factory ammo. Especially since their loads are at such low pressures, using less powder.

You may not want to get into casting, but you will certain find a need to reload your own if you want to use cowboy loads or shoot in competition.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lehigh County)

do I have to use cowboy loads to just shoot at the range?

(Lancaster County)

when I shot CAS .I shot 44-40 in my pistols and rifle.an be ready to spend bucks to get into it you'll need two pistols and one rifle in pistol cal and a shotgun.also leather gear, a cart to hual it all around and clothes to fit the part you want to play.10 years ago when I quit it was around 2 to 3 thousand to get started sure it's more now. most shoots were a hunderd rounds of ammo for the pistol and rifle and 25 rounds for your shotgun.it seems to be fadeing in this area cause most of the clubs that use to have two to three day matches once a year don't hold them any more.still it is alot of fun and most of the people are great to shoot with.so reloading is a must with cost of ammo.good luck with it.crazywolf

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by chrmm22sr View Post
    do I have to use cowboy loads to just shoot at the range?
    At the range, no.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Perry County)

Before you get too involved you need to define your goals. If you are primarily interested in using guns correct to the era then the 44-40 is excellent as it is correct in both pistol and rifle. However, if you are thinking of being a competitive (and winning) shooter then think .38. The ammo is cheaper and it recoils less. Cowboy is all about shooting fast and somewhat accurately and power is of virtually no use. The new Vaqueros are excellent guns strong and reliable, they will last your life time and your children's as well. Many would say the Colt clones are potentially nicer, but I prefer the Rugers. As for a rifle I use a Marlin, but then I also wanted to shoot it for hunting and the Marlin 94s are very strong and shoot hot loads with little distress. If you want to be a winner consider a Win 73 clone as they can be fitted with a short stroke kit and can be extremely fast with practice (and gun smithing). Shot guns depend on class. I like the Model 97 clones, but you may well prefer a double barrel. You could even consider Wild Bunch, if your local clubs offer it, then you'd need a 97 shotgun, a 1911 (just one) and a pistol caliber rifle (you will need one of these in every class).

In any case, you need to join Sass and read up on the various classes. You should do this before purchasing a lot of guns and gear, it will save you a lot in the long run. Also, by all means go to some matches and watch, talk to shooters, and take notes. You may be able to find someone getting out of the game and buy used. Cowboy is a lot of fun especially if you like your shooting with a touch of the dramatic.

(Northumberland County)

even if you have been reloading for many years as I have, reloading the 44-40 can be quite troublesome, very thin brass, (.006 to .007) neck thickness. and a lot of bullet diameters. .426 to .430. different expanders for cast and jacketed bullets, to say nothing about the many manufactures different bore and chamber sizes. started on 40 WCF (44-40) about 2 years ago, after many, many destroyed cases and many, many chambering problems, I am fairly good at reloading that rascel now. I have been in the reloading game over 60 years, you will never stop learning, and the 44-40 was a real learning experience for me

(Erie County)

Just a sidenote to what Rundownfid stated previously. If you decide to try shooting Wild Bunch Matches, your rifle needs to be pistol caliber, .40 cal and above (38-40, 44-40, .44 Spl/Mag, .45 Colt). For Wild Bunch, you can also use the Winchester Model 12 shotgun, in 12 Guage, in addition to the Winchester Model 97 shotgun.

Go to one of your local matches, introduce yourself, and don't be suprised if a lot of folks offer to let you shoot their firearms. If you can do this, you'll get a better feel for which rifles, shotguns and pistols work best for you.

And again, nothing wrong with your .44-40 Vaquero, they're excellent pistols to shoot, and will last a lifetime. My pistols are New Vaquero's in .38/.357, and the same in .45 Colt. My rifles are both Marlin CB Limiteds, in .38/.357 and .45 Colt, and for shotguns I use either a Winchester Model 97, or a Baikal MP 220F SxS shotgun.
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
    United States Constitution - 2nd Amendment

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast