Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Question Air compressor for sand/bead blasting?

I'm looking into buying a compressor to blast parts before parkerizing and Cerakote. I occasionally need an impact gun for auto work too, and my electric impact wrench is dead. About how much compressor might I need?

I was looking at a detail blast gun. The specs on the blast gun show air consumption of 7.0CFM @ 90PSI, but to get 7CFM requires about a $600 compressor and a 20 or 25 AMP circuit to run it. I don't really need that to blast a 1911 frame, do I? That seems excessive.
    Last edited by Suburban; April 6th, 2013 at 09:33 PM.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Air compressor for sand/bead blasting?

7 CFM is at the low end for sandblasting use. I have a 9 and it wont keep up, but what I have done is added another air tank (from a friends dead compressor) I got for free. I can blast for a reasonable period before I have to stop and wait for the compressor to catch up.

You can probably get away with a small compressor if you are doing small jobs, just be aware the use will be intermittent as you wait for the pressure to come back up.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Lehigh County)

i have a 2hp 7 gallon, it doesn't keep up at all. for small parts, it's alright. I am looking at one of those vertical ones that hold about 60 gallons. Look on craigslist and such, might be able to find a deal.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    You can probably get away with a small compressor if you are doing small jobs, just be aware the use will be intermittent as you wait for the pressure to come back up.
    I'm okay with that. Adding a 2nd tank or a larger tank down the line is not out of the question.

(Lancaster County)

I haven't sand blasted, but I do use my compressor for a lot of stuff around the garage. I have a Craftsman 33gallon 1.5HP model that will maintain 150PSI. Since I'm only using one tool at a time, I have yet to have it drop pressure where I could use the tool.

I've had it for about 10 years and have not had a single problem with it. I would definitely get something bigger than a 5gallon because once you have a compressor you'll probably find more uses for it.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lackawanna County)

Its really not about pressure when sand blasting its more about volume and capacity. The smaller the tank the more the compressor will have to run to keep up. If you have a large holding tank it will run longer bot not as often.. Hope this helps

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I haven't sand blasted, but I do use my compressor for a lot of stuff around the garage. I have a Craftsman 33gallon 1.5HP model that will maintain 150PSI. Since I'm only using one tool at a time, I have yet to have it drop pressure where I could use the tool.

I've had it for about 10 years and have not had a single problem with it. I would definitely get something bigger than a 5gallon because once you have a compressor you'll probably find more uses for it.
    Home Depot and Amazon have a 2HP/15 gallon compressor kit with tools and a spray gun for under $400. If it was going to take a $600 for a compressor with a tank, then I was just going to have to pay someone else to do it.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    Home Depot and Amazon have a 2HP/15 gallon compressor kit with tools and a spray gun for under $400. If it was going to take a $600 for a compressor with a tank, then I was just going to have to pay someone else to do it.
    I didn't realize how much they've increased in price since I bought mine. I think I got it on sale all that time ago for around $200.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Bucks County)

I've got a Quincy compressor with a 200gal horizontal tank. It is designed for a 20hp motor, but I've got a 15hp 3-phase motor on it. I don't mind because I've only got 100amp service to the garage and the start-up surge runs close to 99amps.

Paid $1300 for it about 5 years ago.

I have a pretty big blast cabinet I fabbed myself. I run a 5.5hp 80gal 175psi compressor. It can keep up with the blast cabinet and does not have to run all the time. The gun on it take 18cfm @ 90psi. It is nice to have as big of a tank with as high of psi as you can afford so the compressor can run less.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast